Do you think Tamera will be as big as Leona Lewis?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reminds me a bit of Amber Holcomb on this years American Idol i.e a promising but undercooked teenage talent. Her performance on Sunday was a total mess and she could've really done with some real criticism from the judges but of course they had to begin with their ridiculous hype. Hopefully will get the guidance she needs behind the scenes while she's on the show, as the judges obviously wont be much help.

It wasn't just me then - as I thought their reactions went totally overboard. Perhaps they have gotten used to hearing so much mediocrity from the show that they thought reasonably good = brilliant.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    I found a old video of Leona Lewis singing "I Have Nothing"
    Leona's old version (not x factor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHv45NNy5jA
    The comments say she's about 16-17 in that video

Tamera
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUbZdMbfNmU

Do you think Tamera will be as big as Leona after hearing both versions of the I Have Nothing or will she be bigger.

Tamera's voice seems like a mix of Leona's and Whitneys if they were combined.
    Shes the best one so far by a country mile. I would not b surprised if a label steps up and signs her before the show even goes live.
  • ShAneOmaC2005ShAneOmaC2005 Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelle32 wrote: »
    It wasn't just me then - as I thought their reactions went totally overboard. Perhaps they have gotten used to hearing so much mediocrity from the show that they thought reasonably good = brilliant.

U gotta take it all into perspective. Shes only 16 she is not yet a recording artist. After the initial rough start she came back to deliver.. it was decent. Surely you cannot expect her to pull out Whitney vocals under the circumstances.

Please dont expect any of them to sound like the finished article yet.

Its nerve wracking it just has to be and nerves is one of the biggest enemies of singing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona has a thinner voice compared to Tamera. Tamera has a deeper tone, more power to it. Leona most probably has the bigger range though. However going by twitter Tamera has stated that she can use the whistle register.

Not true. Leona's voice is more full and resonant. She can belt and project and resonate. Tamera cannot belt or she doesn't know how to effectively. Leona choses to sing more softly alot of the time because that is where her tone shines but that doesn't make her voice thinner. Tamera is deeper but her tone and timbre is not thicker.

Leona singing I Have Nothing at 16-17 actually shows a hell of alot more potential than Tamera does.
    Tamera does have a stunning tone in her lower range though and a really beautiful vibrato in the lower half of her voice too. She requires alot more vocal training in her upper registers though
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are getting far too over excited about this girl. She hasn't come across as anything special at all. Her performance wasn't great, but her singing was. The difference is, at the time, X Factor had seen nobody like Leona. It was a huge step for talent shows, the first female to rival Mariah, Whitney etc!

Tamera is just...another young girl that has had vocal lessons and can sing.

I stan for Leona and she's top 3 best vocallist in the world atm imo and one of the best of her generation behind beyonce but she doesn't rival mariah or whitney in terms of vocals. They are in another league.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Leona who?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tamera is going to go far but her and Leona are very different so you can't really compare them. In my opinion Leona is the better singer but she's only really good at doing ballads where as Tamera might not be as strong vocally but I can see her being a lot more versatile and less boring than Leona.
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tamera is going to go far but her and Leona are very different so you can't really compare them. In my opinion Leona is the better singer but she's only really good at doing ballads where as Tamera might not be as strong vocally but I can see her being a lot more versatile and less boring than Leona.

Very good points made.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leona can do all kinds of music but she is often referred to as a balladeer/mid-tempo artist. Some people will find Leona dull and boring but others like me will find her absolutely incredible. Although, in my opinion, Leona's vocals are better but I do agree with some of the above posts that Tamera being more versatile (a bit like Alexandra Burke)
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    Leona who?

Lewis. You know the highest selling artist to ever come from X Factor, ever?
    Forum Member

Just because Leona does ballads doesn't mean she is 'boring'. She's also very versatile, performances on X Factor like Lady Marmalade and Could It Be Magic show this, and if you actually bothered to listen to her music, you'll note huge versatility. She can do it all, the big emotional ballads like Footprints In The Sand, all the way through to huge dance songs like Glassheart and Outta My Head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Just because Leona does ballads doesn't mean she is 'boring'. She's also very versatile, performances on X Factor like Lady Marmalade and Could It Be Magic show this, and if you actually bothered to listen to her music, you'll note huge versatility. She can do it all, the big emotional ballads like Footprints In The Sand, all the way through to huge dance songs like Glassheart and Outta My Head.

How can they be huge when they weren't released as singles? :confused:
    BUT...these singles SHOULD have been released though - big mistakes made IMO
    But yes Leona is actually very versatile and she has proved in doing so in putting tracks like the ones you mentioned on her albums
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parneb wrote: »
    Way too early to say as it depends on whether she messes up and goes wayward, or whether she knuckles down and takes the X Factor seriously and works hard; time will tell.:confused:

I agree going by the arena auditons when she forgot the words Sharon commented if she had of done that at Bootcamp stages she may be out of the competition.
    Just have to wait and see how she gets on then.

The only person I predicted from their first audition to be a potential winner was Matt Cardle
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    BUT...these singles SHOULD have been released though - big mistakes made IMO
    But yes Leona is actually very versatile and she has proved in doing so in putting tracks like the ones you mentioned on her albums

It's not Leona's fault it's the syco label she's on and whoever markets and promotes her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not Leona's fault it's the syco label she's on and whoever markets and promotes her.
    Yes I'm fully aware of that - I have moaned about it 1000 times on forums in the past
  • Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member
    I found a old video of Leona Lewis singing "I Have Nothing"
    Leona's old version (not x factor) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHv45NNy5jA
    The comments say she's about 16-17 in that video

Tamera
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUbZdMbfNmU

Do you think Tamera will be as big as Leona after hearing both versions of the I Have Nothing or will she be bigger.

Tamera's voice seems like a mix of Leona's and Whitneys if they were combined.

If Simon wants her to she will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    If she learns to sing in tune (hope that was just nerves) she could easily be. Always found Leona a bit bland.
  • Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Why Leona Lewis?

Why are you comparing her to Leona Lewis?

I did start a whole thread on this very subject of why is she being only compared to the likes of Leona Lewis and Alexandra Burke but despite it being a valid point, it was deleted and the moderation team on DS have failed to give me a reason despite being asked like they tell people to do.
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    I'm often wary of the hype over a contestant right at the start of the series. We've seen and heard it all before - like Danyl Johnson for one - it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be a front runner at all.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »

Pretty sure they meant huge as in huge production, both songs are proper bangers. That sort of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure they meant huge as in huge production, both songs are proper bangers. That sort of thing.

Yes I'm aware about the huge production on these songs but the previous user didn't specify it clearly. If that is the case, then I agree totally.:)
    Forum Member

Exactly what I meant, thank you.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she has a criminal record she wont be able to travel to the states will she?
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

she hasn't got a record! she got a caution! NOTHING ELSE! One time incident
  • jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She does not have a criminal record, just a police caution.