Options

Wayward Pines

Comments

• Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure what pace this thread is so will try not to say too much.

I'm mainly watching be cause Carla Gugugogino is in it. But I like the premise of the show and the ending of episode one.

It is advertised as an 'event' so I take it, it is just one season?

The show premiered globally on Thur 14th May and Ep1 was available as a preview a few days before the premiere, but this is the Fox UK pace.

It's a 'limited event' series so essentially it should be a one one season show with a beginning, middle and an end. Here's hoping!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I gave up after 30 minutes.......it did seem to be something that I've seen loads of times before.........stranger wandering around a town with nothing as it seems

I might watch it sometime........I like to watch to watch these series when a channel shows them straight through on consecutive evenings so if Fox do that in a year or two's time I'll watch it then
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also gave up around 30 minutes. It was just not grabbing me, the reset village setting and then the Secret Service, wife and son bit.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I did notice in the 30 minutes I watched........the son was one of the 100

Those pesky kids turn up everywhere !
  • Options
    porkensteinporkenstein Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    I have just watched the first episode.
    it was dark and surreal but ok and seems intriguing. It felt like an old style TV series twilight zonish
    I think it's a show that you have to stick with and it will build as it goes.
    It seems like a time experiment of some sort in an enclosed area. It's beautiful scenery and the sort of place it would be nice to live for a while. :)
    Everything is not as it seems ;) defo stick with it though.
    Having enjoyed the three books and seeing so many familiar things and characters in the opening episode i will happily watch it all unless M Night Shymalan screws up the translation of Blake Crouch's books to TV.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it a lot. M Night has never really directed or produced anything worth watching aside from Signs and The Sixth Sense, but if this keeps up the current pacing and level of mystery, I'll be hooked.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    I enjoyed it a lot. M Night has never really directed or produced anything worth watching aside from Signs and The Sixth Sense, but if this keeps up the current pacing and level of mystery, I'll be hooked.

He only directed the first episode.
  • Options
    GillypootsGillypoots Posts: 6,812
    Forum Member
    He only directed the first episode.

That's good news.

It might be even better than I had hoped.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    I liked the first episode.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught the first episode and loved it. Well paced and lots of intrigue. Carla Gugino and Shannon Sossamon are just the icing on the cake :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this just a rip of of the Prisoner? That is exactly what I thought at the end.

That's certainly how it felt to me. Reboot may be kinder than rip-off but then again maybe I'm being too kind :D

Will stick with it for a while longer see if they go off on a tangent but if not I don't think I'll bother
  • Options
    daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. looking forward to seeing where it goes. I have never seen The Prisoner, have seen the Trueman Show, but have no great need for everything I watch on tv to be a brand new, revolutionary, never seen before concept, so I'm not bothered by any similarities. Anyway, if I did, I wouldn't be able to watch much!

I'm not a great fan of Matt Dillon, but he was alright enough. I like Juliette Lewis though, and Melissa Leo and really enjoyed the atmosphere and the setting..
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donna255 wrote: »
    I also gave up around 30 minutes. It was just not grabbing me, the reset village setting and then the Secret Service, wife and son bit.

It was the appalling acting of the wife and son which made me turn it off after about the same amount of time. Totally at odds with the rest of the cast and a very strange casting decision.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought the pilot was okay, there were some good moments and there's promise. But it didn't offer anything that I haven't seen before. I hope there is more to the show than escaping the town, which would get boring quickly. M Night Shymalan is lucky that he has a good cast of movie quality actors, who were able to elevate the material and make it seem better than it was. That said, the show does seem more willing to answer questions unlike its spiritual cousins and I think the fact that it is a limited series can only be a good thing as we are guaranteed answers by the end of its 10-episode run.

The show is obviously heavily inspired by The Prisoner and Twin Peaks with a small dose of Lost and The Trueman Show thrown in. The whole "trapped in a strange town with strange people with mysterious goings on" has been done, so it's hard to offer anything new to the viewers. I noticed they copied Lost's signature opening scene with Matt Dillon's character waking up in the woods dressed in a suit and even went to the trouble of mimicking the same close-up camera shot of Jack's eye in the Lost pilot.

Looking at the ratings, it appears the Wayward Pines' premiere was only able to draw in 3.76 million viewers. A huge flop considering the talent involved in both cast and crew, and the hype and expectation that was surrounding the show. Poor M Night Shymalan can't seem to catch a break.
  • Options
    porkensteinporkenstein Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    People really need to give this a chance as having read the books this is nothing like twin peaks et al.
    If you want answers then you will definitely get them if it stays true to the books as what you have seen in the first episode may just make you feel it's the same old storyline but it isn't.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    One thing I did notice in the 30 minutes I watched........the son was one of the 100

Those pesky kids turn up everywhere !

So was the assistant FBI agent.
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched this as I recorded it last Thursday when it was on, it's brilliant - well the first episode was, I hope it continues.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    i thought the pilot was okay, there were some good moments and there's promise. But it didn't offer anything that I haven't seen before. I hope there is more to the show than escaping the town, which would get boring quickly. M Night Shymalan is lucky that he has a good cast of movie quality actors, who were able to elevate the material and make it seem better than it was. That said, the show does seem more willing to answer questions unlike its spiritual cousins and I think the fact that it is a limited series can only be a good thing as we are guaranteed answers by the end of its 10-episode run.

The show is obviously heavily inspired by The Prisoner and Twin Peaks with a small dose of Lost and The Trueman Show thrown in. The whole "trapped in a strange town with strange people with mysterious goings on" has been done, so it's hard to offer anything new to the viewers. I noticed they copied Lost's signature opening scene with Matt Dillon's character waking up in the woods dressed in a suit and even went to the trouble of mimicking the same close-up camera shot of Jack's eye in the Lost pilot.

Looking at the ratings, it appears the Wayward Pines' premiere was only able to draw in 3.76 million viewers. A huge flop considering the talent involved in both cast and crew, and the hype and expectation that was surrounding the show. Poor M Night Shymalan can't seem to catch a break.

Surely that's very good for a satellite channel?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Surely that's very good for a satellite channel?

ITV would kill for those viewing figures these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone wants anything truly original then they'll be waiting a long time - everything's been done.
  • Options
    charlie-chancharlie-chan Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    It felt like a grown up A Town called Eureka rip off.
  • Options
    Fat BuddhaFat Buddha Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looked just like an attempt to re-hash The Prisoner. Mrs F.B Said 10 minutes in "I wonder what number will be on his Penny Farthing Badge ? I bet it isn`t Number 6"
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    I loved the toy town version in the opening credits- the town actually reminded me of Woodbury or Alexandria in the Walking Dead (and the Truman Show as others have said).

It's nice to see Juliette Lewis again.

I'm going to keep with it as there's so little else worth watching atm.
  • Options
    charlie-chancharlie-chan Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I didn't like how they revealed the premise in the first episode either.. I like a bit of suspense!
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't like how they revealed the premise in the first episode either.. I like a bit of suspense!

Ah but I'm sure there will be several episodes where you're left guessing as to the cause:
    1. Secret government conspiracy
    2. Alien zoo
    3. Future arc / "last best hope" for humanity
    4. Time and space anomaly
    5. He has died,
    6. gone mad or into a coma

before they role the dice and pick one