How do you say '2011'?

Comments

• Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moli wrote: »
    Twenty eleven doesn't make sense.
    Why not? In 1990 it was always "nineteen-ninety", "one thousand nine hundred and ninety" would have been daft, so what is wrong with "twenty-eleven"?

Personally I am happy to use either for this century.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty eleven or two thousand and eleven. Not fussed which as its whatever pops in head first!
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and naughties for 00 what will the next decade be known as in the future the "teenies"
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For formal stuff - like the giving of dates of birth to officialdom and stuff I say 'Two thousand and ten / Two thousand and eleven'.

For more informal stuff like arranging an appointment or telling someone the date I say 'Twenty ten / twenty eleven'.
  • Options
    Canard's BackCanard's Back Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm I don't recall ever referring to 2000 as being 20 - 00, or 2001 as 20 - 0 1, 2002 as 20 - 02 etc!!

2000 and 10 trips off the tongue just as easy as 20 10, so I think I'll stick with the more traditional 2000 and 11, 2000 and 12 and so on and so forth......
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two thousand and eleven and also two thousand and twelve.

I just think it sounds nicer :o:D
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll say two thousand and eleven as twenty-eleven sounds a bit clumsy to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose 'twenty twelve' has a better ring to it than 'twenty eleven' as both words begin with 'tw'. Or perhaps we've just got used to the sound of it as it's because it's always pronounced that way when talking about the upcoming Olympics in 2012.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two thousand and eleven.

I said 'twenty ten' with this year but 'twenty eleven' just doesn't sound right.
  • Options
    RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it 'twenty eleven' or 'two thousand and eleven'?

Everyone seems to be saying 'twenty twelve' already so when do we stop saying 'two thousand and.....'?

I stopped at the beginning of 2010. Sometimes I find myself saying twenty-oh-nine etc as well. Just becomes habit, and its much easier and, I don't know, somehow cleaner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two thousand and eleven.

Twenty eleven doesn't sound right to me.
  • Options
    Dan06Dan06 Posts: 1,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twenty eleven like twenty ten. It sounds much more impressive than 'two thousand and eleven'
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although the nineteen slipped off the tougue with ease I find twenty does not and used two thousand and 10 and will use two thousand and 11 .

Its each to their own really but there is nothing worng in using thousand as after all it is correct in the AD sense of it all ( well as far as we are told anyway ) .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan06 wrote: »
    Twenty eleven like twenty ten. It sounds much more impressive than 'two thousand and eleven'

I don't think so. It sounds like someone trying to be 'cool' when they really aren't.
  • Options
    LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think so. It sounds like someone trying to be 'cool' when they really aren't.
    It isn't someone trying to be cool, it is just a way of saying the year and it is quicker and easier than saying two thousand and eleven.
  • Options
    MarieHMarieH Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two thousand and eleven
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't make my mind up so I'll just stick with saying, last year, this year and next year like I have been doing since the year 2001.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching the BBC news and one of the reporters said 'twenty eleven' and it didn't sound too bad.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    'Twenty-eleven.'

Just as I pronounced 2010 as 'twenty-ten.'
  • Options
    Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here's a question what year was the battle of Hastings
  • Options
    frangipanefrangipane Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    here's a question what year was the battle of Hastings
    One thousand and sixty-six
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's always going to be more than one way to read a number. Can people only ever say "five hundred thousand" and not "half a million"? Did everyone call the R&B group 112 "one hundred and twelve", no, it was "one one two". Did people call the Detroit area code "three hundred and thirteen" when they saw 8 Mile? Have you heard of "In the year 2525" God that would have made for a terrible song.

We get it already, "twenty sets of ten makes two hundred". "You count centuries in hundreds." So? You didn't refer to the 1980s as "the eighties" or "nineteen-eighties". Do you say "The decade of one thousand nine hundred and eighty" or "The one thousand nine-hundred and eighties"?

We use/used what? Roman numerals, tally marks, binary, hex, octal. Of course They're credible and complete systems, but it is still mostly interpretation. If you understand it, I can't see how it matters. Let it go.
    RWD wrote: »
    for me it is two thousand and ten, two thousand and eleven, two thousand and twelve......... Really hate it when people say twenty ten twenty twelve etc for me it just sounds daft. People didnt say Twenty Nine so why say twenty ten.

Because you are using the totals of the numbers as a reason not to say it that way. "Twenty ten" is not a figurative integer, so people use it. If it were, would that not make "thirty"? People already know this, so they did not say "twenty nine" as this would cause confusion. It would make more sense to say "twenty zero-nine" but that clearly did not catch on very well for the 21st century. That's my understanding with a little read from Wiki too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4pounds64 wrote: »
    I've already started with the twenty eleven. I mixed it up a bit during 2010, but I'm a bit sick of saying 'two thousand and....', its a gobful and is starting to sound a bit weird since I had it pointed out to me that we don't refer to 1910 as one thousand, nine hundred and ten.
    But we didn't refer to the millennium as "Twenty Oh Oh", or indeed 2001 as "Twenty Oh One" and so on, so there has been a convention for saying "two thousand" for the last few years.
  • Options
    ontheloop54ontheloop54 Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Two Zero One One' :)
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Is it 'twenty eleven' or 'two thousand and eleven'?

Everyone seems to be saying 'twenty twelve' already so when do we stop saying 'two thousand and.....'?

It's both or either and it matters not which you use.

I will use whichever comes into my head first on each occasion but really, it doesn't matter and neither is right or wrong.

However, by the time we reach 2020, I'd imagine that everyone will say twenty twenty and from then on, it will probably stick.