Presents for the teachers at the end of term?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not "raging" at you or anyone else. Since when did you turn in to such a wuss?!

Calm down, it's only a commer- the Internet.

I have earache, I don't want Jack's shit in it too ;)
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I thought the only present that a teacher could get is a massive sigh of relief that they don't have to deal with kids for the next 6 weeks?

For the most part, dealing with the majority of kids is the easy part of the job as most of them are fab. It's all the hoop-jumping and box-ticking most teachers are pleased to leave behind for a little while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Private schools may have had posh formal type of things before Proms took off over here. But certainly before about 2004 I'd never heard of the High Schools around here having them. Now they all do it and take it in turns to hire out local hotels. I even heard of a playgroup having a prom the other day, but that's a whole new thread :D

Oh lordy lordy. I think we should ban everything, even buttercups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a teacher and the only gifts I have ever received have been boxes of chocolate or the odd bottle of wine from a parent. I wouldn't feel right taking any more than that, and actually prefer receiving a nice card from a pupil, especially if it's homemade.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm a teacher I won't accept anything less than a 42" flatscreen TV and a holiday to Vegas. Can't be dealing with any cards or Quality Streets... bring out the big guns.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hard saying no when your child is saying that they really want to buy the teachers a present.

I've compromised because I don't really agree with it and said that we can buy his dog a present.
  • 16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite nice. The students are showing their appreciation.
  • katy18katy18 Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    One of my mates is a teacher and after finishing for summer holidays this week she came home with two big bunches of flowers, about 10 boxes of chocolates, a Yankee candle, a teddy bear and some other little knick knacks.

She loves it, getting loads of gifts at Christmas and then end of school year but I can't help thinking it shouldn't be allowed as the amount / quality of gifts is excessive. It's not just a box of quality street! Honestly, it must cost the parents a fortune and it surely creates a divide between the parents/ children who can afford to buy big and those who can't.

I remember that in my primary school we never gave the teacher a gift, just a card but that seemed to change halfway through secondary with the form tutor getting presents. The kids all used to compare what everyone had got our tutor as well!! Proper nightmare as it WAS judged (in the way that teens judge each other!!)

I honestly believe a card from the child is enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh god, we've been friends for 20 years, I think calling her odious is going too far, though we call each other many other things, especially during one of our many arguments about this.

Haha, I didn't mean your friend specifically was odious but these people in general who are obsessed with pissing contests and those who have no boundaries certainly are in my mind. :eek:

Mainly the whole thing is just beyond depressing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of Proms, we just had the humble end of term/year disco when I was at school in the 1990s.

I just can't believe schools that aren't "posh" schools encourage their students' parents to spend all that money (that they probably don't even have to spare) on these stupid events. What's wrong with just wearing what you already have, NOT hiring a limo, and making the evening all about having a good time in a natural way that everyone can afford stress free? I suppose that's just not good enough for Johnny or Jennifer anymore.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would put a card in an envelope and give it to my child to give to the teacher which would say
    Sorry there is no gift from me as I am an hourly paid person who can't afford a gift but thank you for teaching my child - we both get both paid for doing our job to the best of our ability - thank you.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    it was my sons last day at primary and I bought his personal TA a gift and for the teacher he had 3 years ago, but his latesat teacher was a bitch so she got nothing
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Where are these schools where parents compete to give the most expensive gift to the class teacher!?

Last year my son was at a state school and about a third of the class gave a gift, which was usually a card and chocolate, a pot plant, a mug or similar.

This year I have moved him to an independent school and having spoken to some of the other parents, people give the same sort of gifts and the only difference is that most of the class give a gift, as opposed to about a third of the class in the previous school.

My child will be giving his teacher and TA a small Yankee Candle each and he is going to make them each a card.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where the Hell did all this crap come from ??
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard of mums giving the child's teacher a framed photo of said child as a leaving gift - bless!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I've heard of mums giving the child's teacher a framed photo of said child as a leaving gift - bless!

The teachers must be thrilled with those.. :rolleyes: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I don't remember ever buying my teachers a present during primary school or even secondary (too many to buy for in secondary!) but other people gave them a range of presents.

When I left 6th form, some of us clubbed together to buy our form tutor a couple of small presents and a nice card (she'd also taught us for the majority of our time at secondary school so we knew each other quite well). She loved the presents, and us putting some thought into it went down better than a couple of our form who just bought her any old bunch of expensive flowers.
  • MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember in primary school in the'80's we used give the teachers Christmas presents. We didn't have proms when i Ieft school (1990) but we had a debs ball, posh dress, boys in tux at the local hotel. Same thing under a different name perhaps.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were flat out a few weeks ago with people buying teacher's presents, jewellery mainly.

Couldn't believe the amount people were spending.

As for the "proms" argument every school in my area has had a "formal" in the last year of secondary school for as long as I can remember. And they're all state schools.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were flat out a few weeks ago with people buying teacher's presents, jewellery mainly.

Couldn't believe the amount people were spending.

As for the "proms" argument every school in my area has had a "formal" in the last year of secondary school for as long as I can remember. And they're all state schools.

So, so depressing. People are totally mad.

I've always known there to be formals, but I think the difference between formals and a prom is that people spend far more on proms (clothes, transport, etc) than they ever did at formals. Proms as we have come to know them in the last few years is most certainly an American import despite people in this thread trying to insist otherwise.

Child beauty pageants have also taken off over here recently which is also something that was really only a "thing" in the US until a few years ago.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, so depressing. People are totally mad.

I've always known there to be formals, but I think the difference between formals and a prom is that people spend far more on proms (clothes, transport, etc) than they ever did at formals. Proms as we have come to know them in the last few years is most certainly an American import despite people in this thread trying to insist otherwise.

Child beauty pageants have also taken off over here recently which is also something that was really only a "thing" in the US until a few years ago.

Things aren't always as they appear on television. My American Senior Prom didn't cost me a lot of money. I was 18 years old, had a job and what little of my own money I had was spent on my $50 dress and the ticket for the dance. We arrived late and left early so I didn't see any limos, and though I'm sure they were there, they weren't a prerequisite as I certainly never felt any pressure to break the bank. All in all it was pretty boring, but we made up for it at the house parties afterward ;). If folks, wherever they are, want to go all out, that's entirely up to them.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Um, well, I'm American and I can't recall ever giving my teachers anything.

Waht? Really? Are you sure aboutthat? Come on we, all know that every thing over here that is irritating is down to America!
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I've seen this all over facebook last month "where can I get a box of cupcakes for my kids teacher"

A box of ****ing cup cakes! If every child in a class of 30 brought in a box of six cupcakes for the teacher ...they could cater a feckin wedding!!!
    In a local chain of supermarkets (Dunnes Stores) they had the usual gift vouchers at the till only rebranded to be "teacher gifts".
    I mean for **** sake I thought we were all meant to be broke. RECESSION WHAT RECESSION.

Im not able any more. Bleedin world we live in
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waht? Really? Are you sure aboutthat? Come on we, all know that every thing over here that is irritating is down to America!

:D:D
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs_Brb wrote: »
    I work in a care home for little above minimum wage and obviously not allowed to accept a gift of any kind as it is called financial abuse.

I don't buy gifts for my daughter's teachers.

We always send a card but on principle nothing more.

It makes me laugh when I see some of the kids laden down with presents for the teachers on the last day.

I think for some of the parents there's some one upmanship going on.