The Bill (Drama Pace)

Comments

• davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate Spears - "the nick needs torching" lol a sign of things to come

It's a shame that Kate was axed from the show. It's the one axing that I just didn't understand. She was heavily involved with Chandler and had great chemistry with Mickey. I thought the writers developed her character quite well, especially during the serial rapist storyline where she really proved herself as a good character.

She could have been involved in Chandler's downfall, we could have seen her join forces with Mickey and see that relationship develop more.
  • Brian ReynoldsBrian Reynolds Posts: 1,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen these episodes for twelve years and barely remember the stories, so I could not possibly know if there have been cuts. I assume that those commenting on cuts have the box sets, in which case I don't know why they bother to watch the reruns!
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that Kate was axed from the show. It's the one axing that I just didn't understand. She was heavily involved with Chandler and had great chemistry with Mickey. I thought the writers developed her character quite well, especially during the serial rapist storyline where she really proved herself as a good character.

She could have been involved in Chandler's downfall, we could have seen her join forces with Mickey and see that relationship develop more.

Yea a shame Kate didn't stay, maybe she wanted to leave the show. I know they used the fire as an excuse to kill off a number of characters that were leaving anyway.
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member

Really I thought she was rather bland
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    LOL at Conways little dog in todays ep :D:D:D, i've always had a feeling his character was a bit henpecked at home, and his comment about a death sentence if he didnt get the dog back, made me believe it all the more :D

The decorator bloke who used to play Trevor Jordache in Brookside is an odd bloke,, pretending he used to be in The Police, what is that about ?, does he get killed in the fire as his character seems to be hanging around for no real reason
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen these episodes for twelve years and barely remember the stories, so I could not possibly know if there have been cuts. I assume that those commenting on cuts have the box sets, in which case I don't know why they bother to watch the reruns!

I don't have the box sets, I'm going from memory of watching them in the past.
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    The decorator bloke who used to play Trevor Jordache in Brookside is an odd bloke,, pretending he used to be in The Police, what is that about ?, does he get killed in the fire as his character seems to be hanging around for no real reason

Ah, good old Shifty!! :D

No, he didn't croak it in the fire, but he was one of the prime suspects at the time. He does come across as a bit pyscho. I always remember him talking to Polly with a smile on his face as she was going out on a job, and then as soon as he stopped talking, he gave this really evil glare.
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the 1996 boxset, just seen Rene Zagger playing James Parker a drug dealer, this is bringing back memories!
    Forum Member
    I was watching an episode from 1996 myself last night Jim and Don went to another officers retirement party Don was acting suspicious even at that time :D
  • JARVJARV Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry was 1997, but yeah another episode i watched had Jack Meddows laying into beach for sailing too close to the wind
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and Conway is toast
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i never knew that, anyone remember Jenny from Hearbeat, the Pharmacist who married Sgt Merton, shes married to Sgt Gilmore.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    I hated the way Conway was killed just because Chandler was too busy getting his leg over.

But I found Mickey Webb's hero worship of Conway after his death ("let's do it for the guv" etc, etc) quite funny, considering that they hardly shared any scenes. :D
    Forum Member
    Are Drama still mucking about with the aspect ratio on these episodes :confused:
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I hated the way Conway was killed just because Chandler was too busy getting his leg over.

But I found Mickey Webb's hero worship of Conway after his death ("let's do it for the guv" etc, etc) quite funny, considering that they hardly shared any scenes. :D

I remember Ben Roberts, who played Conway, saying at the time that he'd wanted to go out with a bang! :D
    I agree though... a sad way for such a likeable, long serving character to go. :(
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been trying to catch all of these episodes but must have missed one. Can someone explain why Danny is blaming Vik?
    Forum Member
    Poor Conway :(,,, what a horrible way to go, he will always be one of my favourite all time characters from The Bill.

I noticed they showed that strange decorator bloke on a motorbike, to try and add him to the list of suspects.
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Conway should have gone. He's my favourite Bill character after Deakin and Boyden - I think all have certain things in common (that they were all stupidly axed for one thing!)

The PM era so far has been pretty good on the whole. I don't regard it as a classic period but it's definitely watchable and far better than some of his later stuff.
  • darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30th Anniversary today of the first episode (not woodentop)
    Forum Member
    I remember Ben Roberts, who played Conway, saying at the time that he'd wanted to go out with a bang! :D
    I agree though... a sad way for such a likeable, long serving character to go. :(

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/YOU+DON%27T+FIT+THE+BILL%3B+Shock+as+veteran+actor+axed+after+13+years+on...-a078467707
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonesy84 wrote: »
    Are Drama still mucking about with the aspect ratio on these episodes :confused:

I don't know why Drama are showing it in 4.3 instead of 16.9 w/s, It could be that they got them from another broadcaster in 4.3 format:confused:
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bonesy84 wrote: »
    Really I thought she was rather bland

I thought Debbie was blander than Kate, and she stayed instead. I thought Kate was more of an interesting character than Debbie at this point. I did grow to like Debbie after a while though.

Bye Derek :( there's been some brilliant acting from the cast in the past two episodes. Trudie Goodwin, Derek's wife, Simon Rouse, Steven Hartley and Chris Simmons have all put in some brilliant performances.

I loved Vik's exit and Jack giving him a good dressing down. June's grief over Conway's death was really well done too, and that scene with Chandler and Conway's wife was fantastic. Loved Mickey confronting Chandler too - you could see the pent up anger inside him and him trying not to completely lose it. He's starting to join forces with Kate again too, and I thought they were great together (as you all know already!)

This is the start of Jack and Mickey digging dirt on Chandler - one of my favourite storylines of 2002.
    Forum Member
    I thought Debbie was blander than Kate, and she stayed instead. I thought Kate was more of an interesting character than Debbie at this point. I did grow to like Debbie after a while though.

Bye Derek :( there's been some brilliant acting from the cast in the past two episodes. Trudie Goodwin, Derek's wife, Simon Rouse, Steven Hartley and Chris Simmons have all put in some brilliant performances.

I loved Vik's exit and Jack giving him a good dressing down. June's grief over Conway's death was really well done too, and that scene with Chandler and Conway's wife was fantastic. Loved Mickey confronting Chandler too - you could see the pent up anger inside him and him trying not to completely lose it.
    He's starting to join forces with Kate again too, and I thought they were great together (as you all know already!)

This is the start of Jack and Mickey digging dirt on Chandler - one of my favourite storylines of 2002.

Completely agree, its been an excellent couple of episodes.

I always used to dip in and out of The Bill when it was originally on, so most of the episodes are brand new to me, but ive been hooked every day for the last few months. (although Watch channel let me down and i missed the end of Series 16, and i had to pick it up halfway through 17).
  • f1fantic1f1fantic1 Posts: 2,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actor who played Vik Singh then went and joined Eastenders as part of the infamous "Ferrieras".

Brilliant two episodes today. Is the fire on Tuesday?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What on earth has Ben Hayward done to his hair