The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Ray Tings you are FANTASTIC! Wow. So a combined 27m watched The Queen in 1984? Ginormous.

Some low figures for 1982 and 1983, the yearly top 20 charts I have for those two years saw low figures (compared to previous years) across the board.

I'd like to echo thanks to Ray Tings for those 1980's Christmas Day ratings...

Strange that the 82 and 83 top 10's were low compared to the rest of the 80's.

Videos would have been a factor possibly, but Home Computers really took off in 82 and perhaps some panel members were too busy playing Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner on their Speccies...::)
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    That Anne Robinson programme after Bake-Off I think might surprise us in ratings. Light factual is not something I normally enjoy but found it quite watchable. Think it could well rate in the 4.5m-5.5m range.

I don't think a rating in that range would be a surprise. Light factual almost always does well on BBC1. Particularly when you've got a 9 million lead in and also no common junction on ITV.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Its the sort of factual that will work on BBC1, but no other channel. Like wit Pound Shop Wars and Parking Mad.

Pretty uninspiring programme after GBBO though. If last week's factual can't get 5m, then I would be surprised if this one does. Although you never know, no other channel has got anything else on worthwhile to steal away the BBC audience.

Then again, Last year they tried major new drama and it didn't work- So this year they've gone with cheap and see if it works- Do we know what they've got lined up for the rest of Bake Off's run (I would assume some form of drama as there will be 6 episodes left of bake off when Spending secrets ends)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the sort of factual that will work on BBC1, but no other channel. Like wit Pound Shop Wars and Parking Mad.

Pretty uninspiring programme after GBBO though. If last week's factual can't get 5m, then I would be surprised if this one does. Although you never know, no other channel has got anything else on worthwhile to steal away the BBC audience.

It seemed to pack in more than your average factual. Class snobbery, voyeurism, and a good dollop of 'Bake-Off' type incidental music! Doesn't Foyles War do good business though for ITV? That might depress the figures...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I don't think a rating in that range would be a surprise. Light factual almost always does well on BBC1. Particularly when you've got a 9 million lead in and also no common junction on ITV.

That's true. I want it to do well just to surprise us in the morning but on the other hand I don't really as its lazy programming best left for daytime...Can though already picture the W1A execs ordering another series with lovable Anne :o
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering about the scheduling of the Corrie live episode on Wed 23rd September. Obviously the RWC game between France and Romania at 8pm will be on ITV4, but what about the earlier 4:45pm Australia v Fiji match? If that match is on the main channel then they will have to fit in the news and ED as well as an hour of Corrie. Unless they're planning to air Corrie Live at 9pm then a clash with Bake Off seems inevitable. Surely that would be ratings suicide and ITV should be avoiding it at all costs (but I'm guessing they probably won't avoid it).
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    ITV have actually increased their drama budget and will be doing more drama output next year.

Would be better then so called drama on that CBS Drama channel.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I was just wondering about the scheduling of the Corrie live episode on Wed 23rd September. Obviously the RWC game between France and Romania at 8pm will be on ITV4, but what about the earlier 4:45pm Australia v Fiji match? If that match is on the main channel then they will have to fit in the news and ED as well as an hour of Corrie. Unless they're planning to air Corrie Live at 9pm then a clash with Bake Off seems inevitable. Surely that would be ratings suicide and ITV should be avoiding it at all costs (but I'm guessing they probably won't avoid it).

Well Could the Australia v Fiji not be put on Itv 4 as well or will it be on ITV as there in Englands group.

If the game is on ITV by my thinking it will only push the schedule by 30mins

4.30pm Australia v Fiji with 4.45 kick off
    6.15 - 6.20 ish match finishes
    Then 10 min analysis
    6.30pm itv news (dont want itv regional news v bbc regional news)
    7pm Regional news
    7.30pm Emmerdale or corrie live
    or 8pm corrie live or 8.30pm Emmerdale

Then 9pm normal
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't get over how cheap and nasty the Barrymore's Saturday Night Out clip looks.

Another expression of surprise for the low Xmas Day ratings in 1982 and 1983.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know the drop was really big but it's still one of their most successful drama shows. I think they should have given another series to let the full new cast bed in before axing it.
    Well, I suppose it wouldn't have hurt to have waited for a few of this year's ratings before making any decisions, even if that meant a slight delay in starting writing for a series 13.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member

Therein lies ITV's problem. They shouldn't be trying to steal away any small BBC One audience, they should in fact be chasing the other 70% of the available audience. (oh and I think that I am being generous there giving BBC One a 30% share - but you probably get what I am angling at)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that Newsnight seems to have been reduced to 35 minutes - is this now a permanent slot ? I know their budget was hopelessly overspent.
  • fugitivefugitive Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I've just noticed that Newsnight seems to have been reduced to 35 minutes - is this now a permanent slot ? I know their budget was hopelessly overspent.

Yes Newsnight has been reduced to 30 mins , 10.30-11.00, with Weather at 11.00.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fugitive wrote: »
    Yes Newsnight has been reduced to 30 mins , 10.30-11.00, with Weather at 11.00.

Thanks, saving money.

The X Factor returns to ITV at 8 p.m.on Saturday August 29 according to The Sun
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Overnights.tv ‏@overnightstv 9s9 seconds ago
    #GBBO gained hugely with #BreadWeek, attracting well-risen 10.1m/44% on BBC1 at 9pm @PaulHollywood @LoveProdHouse http://www.overnights.tv

Incredible.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #GBBO gained hugely with #BreadWeek, attracting well-risen 10.1m/44% on BBC1 at 9pm @PaulHollywood @LoveProdHouse http://www.overnights.tv

Incredible.

And that's the average!! :o:o:o
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incredible.
    Blimey, the National Grid must have taken a hit at 9 o clock with all the toasters being switched on!

K
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member

Incredible.

Mary accidentally let slip who went last night before the show aired - and even more people chose to watch.

Some amazing figures there for Bake Off. TXF is going to have to pull something out of the hat to make it the biggest show of the week when it launches.
  • dulliredullire Posts: 20,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing rating for Bake-Off.

How high will it go this series?

Not to mention the 2m on catch-up and the Sunday repeat.
  • burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow. Just wow!
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member
    What a result! 10.1m!
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incredible.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    And that's the average!! :o:o:o
    KennyT wrote: »
    Blimey, the National Grid must have taken a hit at 9 o clock with all the toasters being switched on!

K
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Mary accidentally let slip who went last night before the show aired - and even more people chose to watch.

Some amazing figures there for Bake Off. TXF is going to have to pull something out of the hat to make it the biggest show of the week when it launches.
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    Amazing rating for Bake-Off.

How high will it go this series?

Not to mention the 2m on catch-up and the Sunday repeat.
    burbe wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow!
    What a result! 10.1m!

I can't add anymore to that. I have the same thoughts on last night's Bake Off ratings. If the final matches last year's ratings it will be an achievement, if it surpasses it then that will be a HUGE achievement!
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,178
    Forum Member

Incredible.

Didn't the Bake Off air at 8pm, not 9pm?
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the Bake Off air at 8pm, not 9pm?

It always does. They got the time wrong.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    I did not expect that leap for Bake Off. The exact figure was 10.06m (44.0%).

Spending Secrets: 5.49m (27.6%)
    Foyle's War: 1.89m (8.8%) EXC HD & +1
This discussion has been closed.