LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I saw ads for Tube drivers on The Metro a few years ago. You could also apply for another job at London Underground and once in, you can then apply internally to be a Tube driver. Other London Underground jobs are more frequently advertised in The Metro. Good luck with your application.

You'll need it!
  • coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    So why is it so difficult to automate fully ? And don't say 'because of resistance from the unions' because in Los Angeles the system is comparatively small and new, yet it is not fully automatic either.

Many lines are now fully automated - the 'driver' is only there to open and close the doors. Remember Boris made an announcement that all future tube trains would be ordered without a drivers cab, before the unions put a block to it? The skills involved in manning a tube train are much less than they were a few decades ago.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio lady wrote: »

I deplore bad grammar particularly when the person in question has allegedly been well educated.
    OM ........Thank god he's no longer on overnights but his successor who had such a good start covers the dreariest of subjects and does like the sound of his own voice. No longer a fan I'm afraid......

So that just leaves NA and his very own version of the mathematical tables! And still people phone in to correct him!

A while ago, in the days when I could just about bear to listen to him, I sent Cristo a tweet about his constant misuse of the word "laying", eg, the dog was laying there. His adult response was to send me a tweet with the word repeated over and over again.

Darren has proved to be a big disappointment to me too. Another one with a good speaking voice, but nothing interesting to say with it.

NA likes to make fools of his more "innocent" callers. Not a pleasant character trait.
  • NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    About 40 years ago I worked with someone who had a cousin that was an Underground train driver. He continually talked about how much his cousin got paid and the amount of time he had off. I think this is nothing new.
    Heard Andrew Neil on an old Desert Island Discs talking about Fleet Street Unions holding the industry to ransom and how, as editor of the Sunday Times, he led the move to Wapping and broke the union straggle hold. Sounded very scary with mob pickets and he had to employ personal security because of threats on his life.

Yup. Back in the early nineties I used to get the tube to Farringdon for a company I was working for at Old Bailey.
    There was a particularly bitter series of tube strikes at the time and when it was all over it first came out that drivers were earning 40 grand a year. I remember this because I remember us joking about how daft it was that someone could earn that much just for sitting there pushing a lever. We were all on about 20-23k a year back then in our mid to late twenties. Our department manager was on 30k.
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please could someone tell me what a dog anorak is? should I buy one for my dog?
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    I listened after the 11:00 news to him ranting on about the oppressed tube workers and switched off at 11:17 because he hadn't taken a single a call or even paused for breath on the subject. Is this what he's paid for?

James O'Brien gets very boring when he does that and is often ridiculous.Oppressed tube drivers? They get paid very well and many would love the job.
  • radio ladyradio lady Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    A while ago, in the days when I could just about bear to listen to him, I sent Cristo a tweet about his constant misuse of the word "laying", eg, the dog was laying there. His adult response was to send me a tweet with the word repeated over and over again.

Darren has proved to be a big disappointment to me too. Another one with a good speaking voice, but nothing interesting to say with it.

NA likes to make fools of his more "innocent" callers. Not a pleasant character trait.

I seem to remember on one of the few occasions I listened to Christo the Unbearable that his contract was coming up in September.
    Fingers crossed that if indeed this is the case he is booted out PDQ.

NA can do no wrong - sorry! He may have a short fuse at times but could you deal with some of the idiots who phone in?
    I couldn't.
    I'd just tell them to f--- off.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but could you deal with some of the idiots who phone in?
    I couldn't.

You are not allowed to say that on the wireless :p
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Ordered Nick Ferrari's book "The World According To Nick Ferrari" from Amazon and it arrived this morning. They sent me a signed copy even though it was listed as a normal copy, and when I discovered this it made my day!

Read the first couple of chapters this evening and really enjoying it so far. Ferrari writes just as he talks and his brilliant and hilarious wit is fantastic to read.
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please could someone tell me what a dog anorak is? should I buy one for my dog?
    I suspect that you know perfectly well what a dog anorak is. Why are you being facetious? Whenever any topic relating to dogs comes up on LBC you can guarantee that loads of dog anoraks will phone in. When you hear dog anoraks speak about dogs on LBC it becomes obvious (to anyone who didn't know it already) that they are sick in the head. Publicising this fact is one of the things that I give Brian credit for.
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    I suspect that you know perfectly well what a dog anorak is. Why are you being facetious? Whenever any topic relating to dogs comes up on LBC you can guarantee that loads of dog anoraks will phone in. When you hear dog anoraks speak about dogs on LBC it becomes obvious (to anyone who didn't know it already) that they are sick in the head. Publicising this fact is one of the things that I give Brian credit for.

I was a tad bemused by 'dog anoraks' until I thought about it. Not knowing what J O'B had been discussing, I did wonder if the term had unsavoury connotations! :o Are there cat anoraks as well? Careful how you answer this as at least three of us regulars would qualify! :kitty:

Morning all. :)
  • Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone must watch the Belinda Carlisle interview conducted by the hapless, Blobbylike, Steve Allen. I watched it aghast on the LBC website. It's absolutely extraordinary and give an insight into Steve's unbelievably peculiar behaviour. Totally hat stand.
  • tommy2teetommy2tee Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Many lines are now fully automated - the 'driver' is only there to open and close the doors. Remember Boris made an announcement that all future tube trains would be ordered without a drivers cab, before the unions put a block to it? The skills involved in manning a tube train are much less than they were a few decades ago.

Personally I do not understand why LBC harps on about the drivers as if they are the only ones involved in the dispute, this is simply not the case.

I think many people take a very simplistic approach to the job of driving a tube train.

I am no great supporter of the tube drivers however I do have concerns about the so called "automation" of the system. A tube driver is totally responsible for both their train and all the passengers on board at one particular time. The DLR is not a system that can be compared directly with deep level tube in terms of automation.

Not sure how an automated system would handle a "one under" which occur on a frequent basis on the network nor how would it cope with another "terror attack" Maybe a robot is the order of the day to replace drivers and station staff?

I am a very regular (daily) traveller on the tube and I have concerns about the lack of visible staff. Just recently I was at Kingsbury station at around 21.30, no one in the ticket office and no one on the station to be seen. A small group of youths started fighting which was met by a message over the speaker system which pointed out they were being monitored by CCTV and they should stop what they were doing.

I have no idea where the voice on the speaker was based but I did not feel particularly safe at that moment. Now if other posters are happy to have their train and stations under what is effectively automatic control then fine but I am not.

Yesterday morning was a complete joke on LBC with the Ferrari Fact File and the whole programme consisting of a totally biased standpoint on the tube dispute with ridiculous and one sided reporting. LBC sunk to new depths and I can see the day when it is re branded Radio Sky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a surprise! Brian is going to be talking about immigration. He's obsessed with the topic. He's very pro-immigration but instead of enjoying multiculturalism he hides away in his million pound property in a white enclave. What's his problem?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, Brian has already mentioned his membership of the 'metropolitan liberal elite' as well as an early namecheck for UKIP. He doing that exasperated gasping. He's also spoken about "yoghurt knitting". How much longer can this nonsense continue? I think he needs to seek professional help to sort these issues out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another one of Brian's little foibles is saying people are "getting cross".

Brian is entirely obsessed with who is or isn't "a racist". He's totally and utterly absorbed with the topic. Why is this?
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a surprise! Brian is going to be talking about immigration. He's obsessed with the topic. He's very pro-immigration but instead of enjoying multiculturalism he hides away in his million pound property in a white enclave. What's his problem?

Well at least he's (so far) Mr Calm today .Yesterday 's Mr Angry was entertaining but a bit embarrassing .Maybe the missus had a word ?
  • gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oscar_ wrote: »

You are wrong I do not know what a dog anorak is.I was not listening to JOB yesterday so don't know the context of the conversation,if as I surmise it was about dogs.

James on previous occasions has discussed dogs and made it very clear he knows nothing on the subject.

By the way so what if I was being facetious is that against forum rules?Get yourself a sense of humour:)
  • Chief_WiggumChief_Wiggum Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Ferrari certainly grilled that London transport guy this morning about the new cycle roads. It's obviously and issue he feels very strongly about so it should be a fascinating debate when he puts it to Boris Johnson next week. Expect verbal sparring galore!
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tommy2tee wrote: »
    Just recently I was at Kingsbury station at around 21.30, no one in the ticket office and no one on the station to be seen. A small group of youths started fighting which was met by a message over the speaker system which pointed out they were being monitored by CCTV and they should stop what they were doing.

I have no idea where the voice on the speaker was based but I did not feel particularly safe at that moment. Now if other posters are happy to have their train and stations under what is effectively automatic control then fine but I am not.

I can only presume somebody, somewhere can see what is going on, and if it didn't stop, presumably the police would be informed to go round.
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember on one of the few occasions I listened to Christo the Unbearable that his contract was coming up in September. Fingers crossed that if indeed this is the case he is booted out PDQ.

NA can do no wrong - sorry! He may have a short fuse at times but could you deal with some of the idiots who phone in? I couldn't.

Lord, I would so love this to be true.

We'll agree to differ! :)

:o:D
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are not allowed to say that on the wireless :p

That's true.
    Oddly, you ARE allowed to say it on television. I happened to be watching a show the other evening (can't remember what it was called) and the F word was repeated over and over. The audience seemed to think it was very funny. I didn't and switched off.
  • karen tracekaren trace Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Wow, Brian has already mentioned his membership of the 'metropolitan liberal elite' as well as an early namecheck for UKIP. He doing that exasperated gasping. He's also spoken about "yoghurt knitting". How much longer can this nonsense continue? I think he needs to seek professional help to sort these issues out.

The gasping and sighing is really tough on the ears. He hasn't always done it - he must have read somewhere that it adds to the gravitas of a debate but he is over doing it
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    'Fishface Farage'

How very droll and grown up Mr O'Brien.
  • Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Immigration and endless Farridge quips and in full 'them and us' people warrior mode .Brian happy as the proverbial pig in sh*t
This discussion has been closed.