Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 65)

Comments

• Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Exactly. ITV has been putting all its eggs in way too few baskets for years now - and we ar now seeing what kind of dividends that style of management reaps.
    ITV is too stale and conservative, they seemed scared to drop shows that are underperfoming or have been around too long. You look at a typical weekday schedule and you have five shows that debuted in the last century( This Morning, Loose Women, Emmerdale, CS and YBF) and entertainment shows like The Jeremy Kyle Show, TXF and IAC that are at least ten years old. While some of these like IAC continue to do very well, surely YBF, which struggles to get 2 million viewers, should be dropped.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Blind Date ran for 18 years! Could we see any current talent show run that long?

Possibly. If X Factor ends next year it will have done 13 years which is pretty damn good. I think Strictly could potentially get there, it certainly still looks healthy right now. Same goes for BGT although that's a bit younger (only 9 years at this point!). Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll do anything special for BGT's 10th season next year?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Red tops will gave the big knives out for XF they love the smell of blood and something that had done well showing weakness, the knives will be out who to blame, the XF will require a scapegoat, who will it be?

Will they? The knives were out for The X Factor when it dropped to a meagre 12m. Reading 'The Axe Factor' is as dull and repetitive as some perceive the show itself to be now. Maybe even the tabloids have moved on now.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Possibly. If X Factor ends next year it will have done 13 years which is pretty damn good. I think Strictly could potentially get there, it certainly still looks healthy right now. Same goes for BGT although that's a bit younger (only 9 years at this point!). Speaking of which, I wonder if they'll do anything special for BGT's 10th season next year?

!3 years is a very good run - after all of which the public may have decided that they've had enough (as we've posted) of the stories, tears, panel changes, format, boot camp etc.. etc... - don't think there's any shame in admitting the glory days are behind it, it's just no longer the "hot ticket" it once was (especially I think with that crucial younger audience that as said has possibly already started to move on now) - no amount of changing, tinkering, twittering or hashtagging can entice your core audience if they've already made up their mind about it.

Will be interesting to see how Strictly does this year, BGT has done well too.
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    The only thing SCD has in its favour is that it doesn't have a deluded egomaniac as a figurehead …

To be fair Brucie only just left... :-)
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    Maybe there will be changes in the management at ITV anyway, they've all been there a long while now. New people like axing things even if they're doing fairly well so XF could be in danger from the off.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    To be fair Brucie only just left... :-)

:D

Brucie did the right thing leaving - his jokes were pathetic, but then again to be fair to the man he was only reading off an autocue and doing what he was paid to do. Last year I never watched SCD as I can't be bothered (and I know I'm probably in the minority) with Winkleman wittering on under her fringe - I might give it a go this year though and fast forward the CW chatter! :D
  • Options
    Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    ITV is too stale and conservative, they seemed scared to drop shows that are underperfoming or have been around too long. You look at a typical weekday schedule and you have five shows that debuted in the last century( This Morning, Loose Women, Emmerdale, CS and YBF) and entertainment shows like The Jeremy Kyle Show, TXF and IAC that are at least ten years old. While some of these like IAC continue to do very well, surely YBF, which struggles to get 2 million viewers, should be dropped.

I agree - it depends on the same shows over and over. Adding to that as well, stopping overusing CS/ED and hiring all these celeb gameshows. Use the money to produce dramas which put ITV on the map in the 1980s and 1990s! Forget all this cheap docu crap that gets less than 2m which is more suited to UKIPCH5 or an obscure Sky Channel, take risks! Win the viewers back with a fresh approach!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not so sure Cowell is deluded as you'd think. Certainly this week he acknowledged that they were never going to get the huge figures they once had, although admittedly I don't think he expected them to be this bad. He certainly realised there were problems last year, but clearly the solutions aren't working ratings-wise (although I wonder if any solutions would).

I think he's well aware that XF isn't what it used to be and its best days are behind it. As I say I doubt he saw these figures coming but I'm not sure many of us expected them to be quite this bad in fairness.

When I referred to Cowell being deluded, it was less about the shelf life of TXF (which I agree with you he must be aware of) but more about the kind of acts it generates, which can't really be called 'artists' in the true sense of the word. Witness him pressuring for 1D to be given a Brit Award. He craves credibility, yet doesn't realise that what he fronts will never give him that.
  • Options
    Polly_PerkinsPolly_Perkins Posts: 21,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are getting bored of these shows, every year it's the same. Why is UK TV so dull? Ok we have some great TV but there is an over reliance on formats that have been going for years and years. I get that with soaps but surely they can come up with new entertainment shows. No wonder people are switching off and looking for content on other platforms.

Weeks and weeks of the same old stuff. BBC drama either come up with middle class Sunday dramas or the likes of Holby and Casualty. Surely it's time to come up with something new or at least give these shows a rest for part of the year.

X Factor needs a rest, it can't go on forever surely. Broadchurch was great event TV but another example of something that they will run into the ground rather than recognise it's ok to have one off successes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neil_N wrote: »
    I agree - it depends on the same shows over and over. Adding to that as well, stopping overusing CS/ED and hiring all these celeb gameshows. Use the money to produce dramas which put ITV on the map in the 1980s and 1990s! Forget all this cheap docu crap that gets less than 2m which is more suited to UKIPCH5 or an obscure Sky Channel, take risks! Win the viewers back with a fresh approach!
    Also dragging up old formats like Family Fortunes and Celebrity Squares, which date back to the ATV era, isn't working well. The whole network is tired, dull and losing viewers.
    Mind you, BBC One continue to flog Pointless like it's going out of fashion every night and they have plenty of stale, cheap and repetitive property and lifestyle shows, so ITV isn't totally to blame, and Channel 5 seem to let BB rumble on to worse ratings every year.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Will they? The knives were out for The X Factor when it dropped to a meagre 12m. Reading 'The Axe Factor' is as dull and repetitive as some perceive the show itself to be now. Maybe even the tabloids have moved on now.

I think you have just written tomorrow's The Sun headline better register it in fast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People are getting bored of these shows, every year it's the same. Why is UK TV so dull? Ok we have some great TV but there is an over reliance on formats that have been going for years and years. I get that with soaps but surely they can come up with new entertainment shows. No wonder people are switching off and looking for content on other platforms.

Weeks and weeks of the same old stuff. BBC drama either come up with middle class Sunday dramas or the likes of Holby and Casualty. Surely it's time to come up with something new or at least give these shows a rest for part of the year.

X Factor needs a rest, it can't go on forever surely. Broadchurch was great event TV but another example of something that they will run into the ground rather than recognise it's ok to have one off successes.
    I think a cull is needed of tired shows. Casualty first aired in 1986 and was only on for three months of the year, now it's on non stop, and tedious old Holby City is the same, though not quite as old.
    TXF still gets its tabloid headlines, so is reasonably popular, but it is becoming tired out. We'll know it's done for when The Sun turns on it, in the same way they started to trash BB in its last two years on Channel 4.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

I agree. Shows like Jeremy Kyle are still pulling in the numbers. Its shows like This Morning that continue to drop, yet they still keep it. I bet This Morning makes them money though, and fills two hours, so I bet it will still be here when it drops to 500k.

YBF only continues because its a cheap filler that continues to pull in viewers, however these viewers continue to drop each year.

As someone else said, staying level is the new increase in ratings.

Theres no sense of ITV wanting to be number 1 in any slots these days. It like they given up and are happy with second best.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Casually and Holby are cheap as dramas costing £600k against other drama at £1m per episode. With a year round " filler" it's worth it. And nearly beats XF
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Trouble today is they don't realise less is more. Take a show like Faulty towers, there's no way the BBC would only commission 12 episodes.

Talking of shows that have been flogged to death, what's happened to Million Pound Drop, has it been axed?
  • Options
    welshfoxywelshfoxy Posts: 6,985
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Trouble today is they don't realise less is more. Take a show like Faulty towers, there's no way the BBC would only commission 12 episodes.

Well, I'd still prefer more Luther, personally
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is the one rating I am most unhappy about. Where are the viewers for such a great factual series? With BBC1 it seems.

Poor for CBB. I do think this USA v UK has alienated viewers. I think the CBB audience likes to know most of the celebs, But USA lot, nobody has a clue who any of the are - bar Janice.

BBC1 had the most impressive, once in a lifetime chance to see live pictures of an actual blue whale! It was an image that was so jaw droppingly brilliant, no natural history programme, no matter how good, will top it. If the Licence fee Is used to bring viewers chances to see things like this, then who can argue about paying it? Why would anyone want to watch another Animal Mums programme ( which has been done many times before) when you can get a chance to see a blue whale on the other side?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    welshfoxy wrote: »
    Maybe there will be changes in the management at ITV anyway, they've all been there a long while now. New people like axing things even if they're doing fairly well so XF could be in danger from the off.

I'm starting to think they need a change at ITV - Peter Fincham has been there long enough and the channel is looking tired. The influx of new drama has come at least a year too late if not more.
    Neil_N wrote: »

And yet a lot of 'cheap docu crap' does well for BBC One - Pound Shop Wars, Britain's Spending Habits, Traffic Cops. There is a place in the schedules for factual but it has to have the right approach to strike at the public's heart, scheduled well and promoted. BBC One know all this; seemingly ITV do not.

Opportunity Knocks ran for 13 years and was only axed because Hughie Green couldn't help being controversial. It looks like Strictly and possibly Britain's Got Talent will overtake that. But in general, you're right - light entertainment shows in general cannot sustain an audience for that length of time. The issue is there's nothing coming through - and not for the want of trying.
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I think you have just written tomorrow's The Sun headline better register it in fast.

Too late - they already used it about four years ago.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The BBC commission short runs of comedy series all the time, eg Inside No. 9 , Up the Women and Psychoville. Many of these had just 6 episodes a series

As for Fawlty Towers it wasn't a BBC decision to only have 12 (I'm sure they would've loved endless series of it) but the writers refused to do anymore.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Talking of shows that have been flogged to death, what's happened to Million Pound Drop, has it been axed?

There've only been six episodes of Still Open All Hours and no word of a re-commission (unless I've missed it).Most BBC comedies only ran to six episodes per series back in the ''golden days'' of TV.MBB is only doing two Christmas specials a year up to 2020.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There've only been six episodes of Still Open All Hours and no word of a re-commission (unless I've missed it).Most BBC comedies only ran to six episodes per series back in the ''golden days'' of TV.MBB is only doing two Christmas specials a year up to 2020.

It has been recommissioned. It was confirmed in Welsh Newspaper.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

X Factor needs adding onto Pop Idol / Pop Stars the Rivals in terms of life span. These were the starter shows that built up the audience for ITV singing shows. Asking an audience to buy into a contestant on a tv show and a million pound recording contract was only going to work so long. The audience accepts that not everyone makes it beyond first album but for it to be almost every act that disappears then it becomes a false premise. The youngsters with a memory span of a gnat and / or those who just see it as a Saturday night karaoke show it is fine but there are so many now who have seen their preferred act dealt with badly that the show carries negativity amongst a once faithful audience. In particular the older audience I suspect. BGT on the other hand doesn't sell the 'future' for the winner like XF does. Same with Masterchef / GBBO. They are what they are. Winner wins. Next.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    It has been recommissioned. It was confirmed in Welsh Newspaper.

I remember reading it on here but cant see anything that confirms it anywhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have the figure for The Trials of Jimmy Rose excluding +1 please? :blush:
This discussion has been closed.