Why can't I watch all premier league games in the UK?

124»

Comments

• coldoasiscoldoasis Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Iqbal_M wrote: »
    Just to add my 2 pence worth, not a particularly big football fan. I think is unfair that English/British fans of EPL clubs can't watch ALL EPL games, when EPL fans elsewhere in the world can. If the EPL are worried about losing money, then demand a more money from television broadcasters, who then would most likely pass the cost on to the consumer (i.e. us). If we have that much money to blow, then that's our problem not their's. Further, by broadcasting all games live here in UK would kill off all illegal downloads and streams instantly, because we would have legal means of watching matches.

Another one!!

What is this EPL you speak so fondly of?

Premier League.

Maybe based in England/Wales but it's not the EPL.

The "EPL won't be bothered by losing money" as no such thing exists.

And no i'm not Welsh.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    It's usually people in other countries that refer to it as the EPL I've noticed.
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coldoasis wrote: »
    Another one!!

What is this EPL you speak so fondly of

Premier League

Maybe based in England/Wales but it's not the EPL

And no i'm not Welsh

EPL is an abbreviation of English Premier League:). Oh, I'm Scottish and call the Scottish Premier League the SPL to differentiate it from the EPL.
    Forum Member
    EPL is an abbreviation of English Premier League:).

Of which there is no competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    It's usually people in other countries that refer to it as the EPL I've noticed.

Yeh

I think it's normally Canada (where i believe they do have a programme supposedly called EPL something or other) or maybe North America.

The OP gave the impression he was not from there and was upset that they had the games.

Just a bugbear of mine :)
    Forum Member
    Of which there is no competition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_League

Thank You :)
    Forum Member
    EPL is an abbreviation of English Premier League:). Oh, I'm Scottish and call the Scottish Premier League the SPL to differentiate it from the EPL.

Yes the SPL exists/existed.

Now i believe it's the SPFL

Never been an EPL though
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeh

I think it's normally Canada (where i believe they do have a programme supposedly called EPL something or other) or maybe North America.

The OP gave the impression he was not from there and was upset that they had the games.

Just a bugbear of mine :)

...and the Middle East, and China, and Australia... In fact, pretty much the whole world except us in the UK refer to it as the 'EPL'!
    Forum Member
    promo-only wrote: »
    ...and the Middle East, and China, and Australia... In fact, pretty much the whole world except us in the UK refer to it as the 'EPL'!

Doesn't make it correct though. Several parts of the world call football "soccer" should we just adopt that as well?
    Forum Member

Oh ok

Fair comment

Just seems wrong, when referred to as a body/league that does not exist.

I suppose being English i like it to be right and it's not difficult for people to type a few more letters on a keyboard.

I'm getting old, Do not like abbreviations and people merging names together to form one shortened word ;)

Goodbye RPatz and others :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Doesn't make it correct though. Several parts of the world call football "soccer" should we just adopt that as well?

O'Neill you seem like a wise one :)

Thanks
    Forum Member
    O'Neill you seem like a wise one :)

Thanks

No problem:)
  • Iqbal_MIqbal_M Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh ok

Fair comment

Just seems wrong, when referred to as a body/league that does not exist.

I suppose being English i like it to be right and it's not difficult for people to type a few more letters on a keyboard.

I'm getting old, Do not like abbreviations and people merging names together to form one shortened word ;)

Goodbye RPatz and others :rolleyes:

I'm a law student and I have use abbreviations otherwise writing notes during lectures becomes very difficult.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not saying that it's correct or not, I'm just stating the fact that the whole world bar the UK refer to it as 'the EPL'.

As for soccer... we can't adopt something we invented! It was called soccer over here for a long time before 'football' became a more widely used word for it.
    Forum Member
    I'm a law student and I have use abbreviations otherwise writing notes during lectures becomes very difficult.:)

On a side note as Law has been mentioned in with football and in line with the jist of the opening post.

Has anything further happened with the Portsmouth pub landlady who was fighting to show live 3pm kick offs on a Saturday?

All seemed a bit tied up in red tape last time i looked.
  • wavy-davywavy-davy Posts: 7,122
    Forum Member
    Why can't I watch all premier league games in the UK?

because you're too poor. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a side note as Law has been mentioned in with football and in line with the jist of the opening post.

Has anything further happened with the Portsmouth pub landlady who was fighting to show live 3pm kick offs on a Saturday?

All seemed a bit tied up in red tape last time i looked.

Not much, no. Basic top and bottom of it is that a licensed premises can show football from any provider they choose because a football match itself can't be subject to copyright. The Premier League logo, theme music etc is, so short of sticking tape over the whole screen and muting the sound, she'd be buggered if she carried on!
    Forum Member
    Not much, no. Basic top and bottom of it is that a licensed premises can show football from any provider they choose because a football match itself can't be subject to copyright. The Premier League logo, theme music etc is, so short of sticking tape over the whole screen and muting the sound, she'd be buggered if she carried on!

Thanks

Blimey it's quite rife around here (Essex) Hammers games on in pretty much every pub from Saudi providers and English commentary.

Havn't wandered in here for a while was just wondering what people thought of Carragher/Neville tonight.

Probably in the wrong thread.

Thought it was ok

Obviously Jamie made one faux pas but wasn't too bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_RNCNyVeKY
  • Dwight1970Dwight1970 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Astra 1A wrote: »
    Televising all games will happen I reckon within 5 years, even it means moving the default kick off time of the Football League to 1pm, to accommodate PL games kicking off at, say 4pm - thus avoiding a clash.

Such a move is likely to hit matchday attendances even in the Premier League unless either ticket prices fall or TV subscription rates are set at a level as to not to make staying at home to watch games too attractive.

Whilst matchday income remains at the current levels and TV money still rolls in I cannot see the Premier League jeopardising the former unless the latter rises significantly more than present (at least double) and I cannot see the broadcasters paying that amount unless they think they can charge more and get extra subscribers instantly.

Selling overseas has none of these issues and those countries (even Germany due to lower ticket prices) which have blanket coverage domestically almost certainly do not generate the matchday revenue the similar sized English clubs do.

Maybe if matchday income declines the Premier League will change it's stance until then I see little reason to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dwight1970 wrote: »
    Such a move is likely to hit matchday attendances even in the Premier League unless either ticket prices fall or TV subscription rates are set at a level as to not to make staying at home to watch games too attractive.

Whilst matchday income remains at the current levels and TV money still rolls in I cannot see the Premier League jeopardising the former unless the latter rises significantly more than present (at least double) and I cannot see the broadcasters paying that amount unless they think they can charge more and get extra subscribers instantly.

Selling overseas has none of these issues and those countries (even Germany due to lower ticket prices) which have blanket coverage domestically almost certainly do not generate the matchday revenue the similar sized English clubs do.

Maybe if matchday income declines the Premier League will change it's stance until then I see little reason to do it.

They won't do it. There's not enough benefit to them.

The claim from the poster you quoted of 'within 5 years' is wide of the mark too. It's taken over 20 years for them to increase it to 154 live matches. I'd say that IF another increase comes, it will still remain under 200 live matches and it won't come for another couple of tenders (i.e. I don't think we'll see another increase until at least 2019, based on how the tender dates fall!).
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another one!!

What is this EPL you speak so fondly of?

Premier League.

Maybe based in England/Wales but it's not the EPL.

The "EPL won't be bothered by losing money" as no such thing exists.

And no i'm not Welsh.

Maybe the OP means the Estonian Premier League? :confused::confused::confused:;)