Options

Germany and Austria on 0

2»

Comments

• Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fire gimmick from Austria was a horrendous error. I kept reading the bloggers in Vienna saying how The Makemakes were "authentic" and "real". Really?? With a piano going up in flames in the middle of what was supposed to be a sincere and heartfelt love song? It looked ugly and was hugely distracting.

I'd add too that the song was incredibly bland and generic.
  • Options
    ZeraseZerase Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    Gutted for Germany and Ann Sophie.
  • Options
    Rose*~*Rose*~* Posts: 7,008
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really odd that Austria didn't get any points. It's very common for countries to give their 1 or 2 point votes to the hosting country.
  • Options
    The HemulenThe Hemulen Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listening to the CD again and amazed Austria got zero. I guess the staging etc really does have a huge impact on votes as songs I really liked prior to the show from CD I didn't necessarily get excited about on the night.
    Anyone know if the country juries vote just on the song audio or get to see the full audio/visual?
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Now that is a surprise and makes our 5 points seem even more pitiful in that historical context.

It did as others say happen in 1997 with Norway's Tor Endresen and Portugal's Celia Lawson in the year the UK came 1st and won, oh the heady days.

Ah Portugal 1997, one of the least deserving nul points ever.
  • Options
    Whitehouse95Whitehouse95 Posts: 2,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick_Pirce wrote: »
    I feel bad for Ann Sophie

Yeah, her face was a picture.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The circle of ultimate rejection was complete for poor Ann Sophie:(
    But she was the only one of the Big 5 not to perform in the eurovillage for whatever reason so I lost a little respect for her after that.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    The circle of ultimate rejection was complete for poor Ann Sophie:(
    But she was the only one of the Big 5 not to perform in the eurovillage for whatever reason so I lost a little respect for her after that.

Mentions of rain were amongst the many reasons she didn't turn up at the Euro village :D
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a feeling Austria would get 0 when they performed. It was okay but a bit dated and didn't stand out at all. I was a bit more shocked at Germany - I don't think she deserved it.
  • Options
    LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Austria were really unlucky being drawn slap bang in the middle of the final, but even besides that the Big 5 all did terribly with the exception of Italy and I think something needs to be done about the current way of dealing with them (either let them perform in semis without needing to qualify or remove the system entirely or anything other than what's in place now)

This needs to be done, let the big 5 and host perform in the semis, they give ten minutes or so to vote so why not? I think they do better at promoting the big 5 and host songs but letting them perform would let the viewers know the song better.