Options

Fears or phobias that you can't shake off?

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you have any fears/phobias that have been with you a long time and which people said you'd grow out of but haven't.

Mine is my fear of needles, blood tests and the like. Even writing this is making me feel woozy, just thinking about it.

I don't think I'd ever be able to have a blood test or anything similar due to the fear or at least the fear of passing out which would happen. If someone describes an operation or if I see something like that on TV I nearly pass out.

And yet I can pluck and dress a bird ie take it's insides out without it bothering me.

Does anyone else have a similar scenario?

Comments

• Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flying insects and spiders. It's not so bad as I used to before I became a mother and it's not like I go screaming out a room when one is in there but I absolutely hate when they fly close to my ears, I can't stand the buzz up so close!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vomiting. And as a result, germs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    I have a fear or torture. I do appreciate that everyone does, but I have quite an all consuming morbid fear. I can't read about it or watch it on TV either, I even had to leave the cinema many years ago during the ear cutting scene of resevoir dogs. The thing that really worries me is that nobody really anticipates a long, slow and tortured death at the hands of a madman, but some people really do end their days that way, so I could too. My dad is a psychiatrist and says that I have a fear of being out of control of my own pain, which I probably do, but I think that probably goes for most people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also needle-phobic, which wasn't good when I had a pulmonary embolism and have spent the last 6 months having regular bloodtests.

I had a really good nurse at the GPs who worked out a good "distraction technique" to make it as quick and easy as possible.
  • Options
    Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate needles too, although I can grit my teeth and bear it if I have to have a blood test, and I've even donated blood (after a friend's life was saved by a transfusion I felt I ought to become a donor).

However, my real phobia is completely irrational and I have no idea where it came from - I'm phobic about flying ants and have to stay indoors with the windows and doors shut when they swarm. :o
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dentists. I have been known to lash out when in the chair! At best I am in a state of barely controlled panic.
    So I only go in emergencies.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fear of heights , I cant be anywhere above the third floor or so without panicing .I would feel ill on a cliff or even a high staircase .,Yet choose the window seat on a plane and can look out .I surprise myself by that ,
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a phobia of developing any irrational fears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a fear of legs and I just can't shake em off.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    Dentists. I have been known to lash out when in the chair! At best I am in a state of barely controlled panic.
    So I only go in emergencies.

Oh, I'm with you on that. I've found a brilliant surgery who use sedation. Costs me an arm and a leg, but no fear involved so it's worth it.

I have a ridiculous fear of pansy flowers. They look like they're scowling at you and I've been known to cross the road to get away from them when I spot them in someone's garden.
  • Options
    EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting locked in the toilet. There is a rationale behind this - I got locked in when I was little and no-one noticed I was missing for half an hour. Public toilets are the worst. Everyone always said it was something I'd grow out of after the initial trauma, but I'm 23 and it is still there. I laugh at myself for it, but it really does freak me out in the moment.
  • Options
    LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I have a phobia of developing any irrational fears.

The trouble is I don't recall developing my fears, they simply are part of me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    im wit cat.j on the flying ants...if i even c 1 thats it wherever i am i have to get home as soon as possible or i start to panic...they are disgusting and vile!
    I also cant take the plug out of the bath if im still in it...i dont no why but i think something will swim out of it and get me lol!
  • Options
    WeetibixWeetibix Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squeeky polystyrene
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate anything to do with blood and veins. Back in my school days we had people giving a talk about donating blood, and I had to leave because even thinking about it and hearing the word "blood" repeated was making me dizzy.

Also I have a fear of rape. I know that everyone does, obviously, but it's not something that people think will ever happen to them. However, I had a narrow escape when I was in primary school. It suddenly became a real threat, not just something you read about in the papers, if that makes sense. I think it's the single worst thing that could ever happen to me, and I feel sick when I think about how painful it must be. I can't watch rape scenes in films or read about it in newspapers.

I also feel uneasy about flying, even though I know it's safer than driving.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    see - no homo-phobia to speak of
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terrified of clowns and Santa. I've been afraid of both for years but for the past couple it's got worse and I can't walk past santa at christmas in shopping centres without holding a friends hand.
    The same goes for anything clown related - a circus, mask, actual clown, someone with face paint etcetc. I freak out (worse than santa). And if they come on tv or a picture my chest goes tight and I shake and cry. But I'm not aware that I'm crying until its gone and its one of those "my face is wet.." moments... Its horrible :(:o
  • Options
    bobobaconbobobacon Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giants and witches
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm phobic of toads and frogs and terrified of dentists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Vomiting and blood.

I can't stand having a blood test, had some bad bruising, but OK with jags.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earthworms, in fact worms in general. What's odd is that I like snakes. When I was a child I picked up our cat and there was an earthworm on his tail, it felt cold and wet, just as I would have expected. I stood at the kitchen sink, washing my hands under running water and crying for at least half an hour. Needless to say, I can't garden.
  • Options
    MittenMitten Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm terrified of fire. Can't even bear to light a match. Also stickers. Not so much a fear, but they make me feel physically sick, especially if they have been stuck on woollen clothing and have bits of fluff stuck to them.
  • Options
    darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    I have a fear of failure. Once I was so worried of failing I collapsed. It's horrible and tends to lead me failing tests and stuff. Usually takes me a few times now.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a few

I sometimes think it's harder for people having to cope with me than me cope with the fears :D
  • Options
    SassernachSassernach Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    Do you have any fears/phobias that have been with you a long time and which people said you'd grow out of but haven't.

Mine is my fear of needles, blood tests and the like. Even writing this is making me feel woozy, just thinking about it.

I don't think I'd ever be able to have a blood test or anything similar due to the fear or at least the fear of passing out which would happen. If someone describes an operation or if I see something like that on TV I nearly pass out.

And yet I can pluck and dress a bird ie take it's insides out without it bothering me.

Does anyone else have a similar scenario?

Mine is a really silly fear so silly I am not going to repeat it here. :o
    But I do know how it feels to have phobia but luckily it isn't anything from day to day life.:)