Yasmina's restaurant

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just what I was going to point out when looking at the menu for the first time just now!

There have been worse spelling mistakes. Like spelling Tory as New Labour :cry:
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Tercet2 wrote: »
    They won it in their first year open, so not while on sabbatical.

They won in 2008. The judging takes place in late Summer/Autumn so it was precisely when she was on Sabbatical...unless they won it in 2007 too. In which case something very fishy is going on.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won in 2008. The judging takes place in late Summer/Autumn so it was precisely when she was on Sabbatical...unless they won it in 2007 too. In which case something very fishy is going on.;)

Their company started business in mid May 2007. Opened doors a few weeks later. Nominated for award August 2008 article includes quotes from Yasmina. Filming of Apprentice September-November 2008 approx. Award given November 2008 accepted by Matthew as Yasmina is busy staring down SAS. Sandalwood Schmandalwood.

A sabbatical just means time off to do something. Doesn't mean any particular time period. Only fishy thing was the seaweed. Though Monkseal's brilliant blog suggests more lol

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/special_features/pride_of_reading/s/2033759_our_goal_was_to_win_a_pride_award
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "They are expected to take a profit for their first 12 months and say business could not be better." Gross? Net? Or did they mean Turnover?:D

I expect the Artic Roll was for lorry drivers.
  • Bob22ABob22A Posts: 6,830
    Forum Member
    Davemba wrote: »
    "They are expected to take a profit for their first 12 months and say business could not be better." Gross? Net? Or did they mean Turnover?:D

I expect the Artic Roll was for lorry drivers.

Well the ccounts at companies house would indicate they made a net loss in the region o £164K
  • CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    Bob22A wrote: »
    Well the ccounts at companies house would indicate they made a net loss in the region o £164K

They actually show a retained net profit after tax of £7,928.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a gross profit of around 16K? :confused:
    Forum Member
    Davemba wrote: »
    On a gross profit of around 16K? :confused:

Turnover - 290k
    Gross profit - 82k
    Admin costs - 73k
    Net profit before tax - 9k

(I download accounts from the Companies House website all the time for work so figured I'd get a copy.:D)
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,704
    Forum Member
    I assume they mean Arctic Roll, but the bigger mistake is that mistake with the price next to it, surely not £6.75? You can get a full one for a quid.
    Forum Member
    Coen wrote: »
    Turnover - 290k
    Gross profit - 82k
    Admin costs - 73k
    Net profit before tax - 9k

(I download accounts from the Companies House website all the time for work so figured I'd get a copy.:D)

Accounting is not her strong point. She stated 14.5% Gross Profit but her accounts show £82K

Does this Business not have any Staff?

Does this Business not pay any Rent or Rates?
    Forum Member
    Just what I was going to point out when looking at the menu for the first time just now!

You can buy an Artic Roll in a Supermarket for a £1 probably get 2 for £1.50 when on offer.

Lets assume a £1 and assume 5 slices from it. I gues they pour some cheap cream or somthing similar over it so lets say £0.20 for artic Roll & say £0.30 for the cream. Thats £0.50. Resturants normaly work on a 100% mark up probably a lot higher on deserts lets say 200%. So a sensible price would be about £1.50.

Anyone that pays £6 wants there head tested. I have costed it using reasonable quality products no doubt she would choose the cheapest junk she could find and would squeeze moreslices out of the artic roll so actual cost could be more like £0.15
    Forum Member
    To be fair MyLacarte won last year (admittedly when Yasmina was 'on sabbatical' and having nothing to do with it, and before the publicity 'value' of the show) and although anyone can nominate it was judged by two celebrity chefs!

The Celebrity Chefs are really just for the Publicity. They just pick one from the ones the Public have selected.
    Its not difficult to fiddle these things as well the voting number are pretty low so a few votes for your own business can swing things.
    Forum Member
    Tern wrote: »
    Interesting analysis.

Do you believe that resturaunts get given the food and drink they supply to people by kindly philanthropists?

I think most actually have to pay for it and subtract this cost from the takings to get the gross profit.

If we assume that you actually do know what gross profit is then I think now would be a good time to shut up about Yasmina. You can't even articulate what gross profit is sitting in the peace and comfort of your own home without any stress to come up with an answer before you've made sure you said what you wanted to say.

You are making yourself look as big a fool as Yasmina. Not a relative are you as both of you seem totally confused by basic accounting?
    Forum Member
    Accounting is not her strong point. She stated 14.5% Gross Profit but her accounts show £82K

Does this Business not have any Staff?

Does this Business not pay any Rent or Rates?

Accounting probably isn't her strong point, but costs for kitchen staff would be included in the cost of sales figure of £209k.

Costs for waiting staff and rent/rates would be included in the admin costs figure of £73k.
  • CaptMcMallisterCaptMcMallister Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Accounting probably isn't her strong point, but costs for kitchen staff would be included in the cost of sales figure of £209k.

Costs for waiting staff and rent/rates would be included in the admin costs figure of £73k.

Directors salaries have to come out of that 73k as well. Now since there is her and her brother, and to pay 25k a year, it costs the employer around 31k (depending on pension arrangements), Sugar's point about not wanting to leave the restaurant is pretty void, as she is looking at 5-7 times the salary, a no brainer which one to choose for someone as money centred as her!
    Forum Member
    Directors salaries have to come out of that 73k as well. Now since there is her and her brother, and to pay 25k a year, it costs the employer around 31k (depending on pension arrangements), Sugar's point about not wanting to leave the restaurant is pretty void, as she is looking at 5-7 times the salary, a no brainer which one to choose for someone as money centred as her!

Yep, I did think that the 73k for admin costs looked a bit low as this would have to cover salaries for her and her brother - although I think the restaurant only traded for 9 months in the first accounting period though so the full year costs would be a bit higher.

It does make sense that she'd want the job though!
    Forum Member
    Yep, I did think that the 73k for admin costs looked a bit low as this would have to cover salaries for her and her brother - although I think the restaurant only traded for 9 months in the first accounting period though so the full year costs would be a bit higher.

It does make sense that she'd want the job though!

Well she mentioned they had upto 20 staff. The photo on the Web Site shows 8 which would probably be about right.
    You have to be looking at wages/Director fees of at least £200K. Then there is rent & Rates, Gas Electric, Insurances, Fees etc plus the food.
    Forum Member
    Well she mentioned they had upto 20 staff. The photo on the Web Site shows 8 which would probably be about right.
    You have to be looking at wages/Director fees of at least £200K. Then there is rent & Rates, Gas Electric, Insurances, Fees etc plus the food.

And that's pretty much what the accounts show:

cost of sales 209k - which will include kitchen staff costs and food, other direct costs of running the kitchen such as gas/electric
    admin costs 73k - which will include other staff costs, insurance, rent, rates etc

Factor in the fact that the place was only open for 9 months and total annual costs are likely to come out at around £376k.

As has been pointed out by CaptMcMallister the admin costs do look quite low, which suggests that the directors weren't being paid much - but I don't think that's unusual in the first year of setting up a new business.
    Forum Member
    And that's pretty much what the accounts show:

cost of sales 209k - which will include kitchen staff costs and food, other direct costs of running the kitchen such as gas/electric
    admin costs 73k - which will include other staff costs, insurance, rent, rates etc

Factor in the fact that the place was only open for 9 months and total annual costs are likely to come out at around £376k.

As has been pointed out by CaptMcMallister the admin costs do look quite low, which suggests that the directors weren't being paid much - but I don't think that's unusual in the first year of setting up a new business.

Cost of Sales would not include food
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forcefeeds Bob22A cocoa electrics (pre-tweaked)
    Forum Member

Yes it would, cost of sales includes all costs directly attributable to producing a product, for a restaurant this would include the costs of the food.

All costs have to be taken into account somewhere when producing a set of accounts for a restaurant, and there are basically only 2 categories of costs in the accounts - costs of sales and admin costs. The costs of food would definitely be included in cost of sales and not in admin costs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

where you put it then?
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Forcefeeds Bob22A cocoa electrics (pre-tweaked)

:D mmm basil!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D mmm basil!!!

Yes, that made it the Fawltiest one :p
  • LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Yes, that made it the Fawltiest one :p

I'm ashamed by how long it took me to get that. :o