Am lost, UK patient in need of Zoladex

hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My father has prostate cancer, which metastasized to his bones and lymph nodes. He was given an LHRH injection last month, and was told that the GP will give the next one, which due on the 4th of this month. We made the appointment and spoke to the GP 10 days ago, and was told that they will have the injection ready.

My father went in today and was told that they will need to order it in, and that will arrive on the 16th. Now I'm panicking. I've tried ringing the GP surgery to speak to the doctor, no reply back.

I've rung the oncology department at the hospital where he was diagnosed, and left a message waiting for a reply, but no call back yet.

What options do I have, is there any way to get the injection sooner than 2 weeks time?

I know it's a long shot asking on a forum, but I've tried GP and Oncology ward at the hospital and no one is getting back to me

Comments

• NocturnaliaNocturnalia Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Could you try PALS?
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hassan wrote: »
    I've tried GP and Oncology ward at the hospital and no one is getting back to me
    Rather than the oncology ward you may do better contacting the consultant in charge of his case. The consultant or their secretary's email address may be published on the hospital's website.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My father has prostate cancer, which metastasized to his bones and lymph nodes. He was given an LHRH injection last month, and was told that the GP will give the next one, which due on the 4th of this month. We made the appointment and spoke to the GP 10 days ago, and was told that they will have the injection ready.

My father went in today and was told that they will need to order it in, and that will arrive on the 16th. Now I'm panicking. I've tried ringing the GP surgery to speak to the doctor, no reply back.

I've rung the oncology department at the hospital where he was diagnosed, and left a message waiting for a reply, but no call back yet.

What options do I have, is there any way to get the injection sooner than 2 weeks time?

I know it's a long shot asking on a forum, but I've tried GP and Oncology ward at the hospital and no one is getting back to me
    GP's are busiest on Monday's and sometimes do not do callbacks until late in the afternoon but they will call or get the receptionist to give you a repsonse.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I agree with Nocturnalia about speaking to PALS, they can move mountains, but wait until tomorrow to give the people you have left messages with time to respond.
  • hassanhassan Posts: 3,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    I agree with Nocturnalia about speaking to PALS, they can move mountains, but wait until tomorrow to give the people you have left messages with time to respond.

Was panicking a lot and wanted to speak to someone as soon as. Got a call from the GP my dad usually sees, she said that she will see when they can get the injection and call me tomorrow, hopefully they can get him in within the next few days she said.

So am a little relieved about it but still on edge for the call tomorrow, hopefully we will be in to see her within a few days.

I left a message with the secretary for the consultant before getting the call back from GP, if he rings me back I will let him know of the situation too.

I've never heard of PALS, I will contact them tomorrow if needed.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member

Fingers crossed you get the injection for your Dad soon. Here's the PALS location finder: http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Patient%20advice%20and%20liaison%20services%20(PALS)/LocationSearch/363
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask the Dr for a prescription for it and,ask the local pharmacy to get it. He'll probably be able to get it in the next day.
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was panicking a lot and wanted to speak to someone as soon as. Got a call from the GP my dad usually sees, she said that she will see when they can get the injection and call me tomorrow, hopefully they can get him in within the next few days she said.

So am a little relieved about it but still on edge for the call tomorrow, hopefully we will be in to see her within a few days.

I left a message with the secretary for the consultant before getting the call back from GP, if he rings me back I will let him know of the situation too.

I wish I had never heard the name Zoladex 10.8 mg implant

I have had it but it is was only later on did I discover that the only reason for giving me the implant was because there was no Radiotherapy slots and ' every three Months ' I had extra implant's and that has caused more problems than the cancer has ever caused.

its not clear from your posting what dose he is supposed to have

Your father should have been handed a leaflet at the time of the implant so its best to double check just in case.

see http://www.drugs.com/dosage/zoladex.html

as there is separate instructions for 3.6 mg as well as 10.8 mg

nearly every Hospital will have a PALS unit and many will respond within minuets to a e-mail provided you give Hospital and patient number as some may be responsible for a group of Hospitals.

I was being seen by three separate Hospitals and sometimes a appointment would clash and all it took was a e-mail to PALS and it was sorted out - far quicker than trying to call a Hospital switchboard.

I still have side effects now ' even although it was claimed they would only last 6 months '

Once the implant is activated ' they cant switch it off as I have found out to my cost as its over four years since my last implant.

sure everyone is different ' but I was not the only one ' who had major problems with them.

good luck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I wish I had never heard the name Zoladex 10.8 mg implant

I have had it but it is was only later on did I discover that the only reason for giving me the implant was because there was no Radiotherapy slots and ' every three Months ' I had extra implant's and that has caused more problems than the cancer has ever caused.

its not clear from your posting what dose he is supposed to have

Your father should have been handed a leaflet at the time of the implant so its best to double check just in case.

see http://www.drugs.com/dosage/zoladex.html

as there is separate instructions for 3.6 mg as well as 10.8 mg

nearly every Hospital will have a PALS unit and many will respond within minuets to a e-mail provided you give Hospital and patient number as some may be responsible for a group of Hospitals.

I was being seen by three separate Hospitals and sometimes a appointment would clash and all it took was a e-mail to PALS and it was sorted out - far quicker than trying to call a Hospital switchboard.

I still have side effects now ' even although it was claimed they would only last 6 months '

Once the implant is activated ' they cant switch it off as I have found out to my cost as its over four years since my last implant.

sure everyone is different ' but I was not the only one ' who had major problems with them.

good luck

He's on 3.6mg. He had his first injection last month, he's due for another one this month, and after this one he will have an injection every 3 months. If it doesn't work out tomorrow, I will contact PALS and see what they can do, hopefully it doesn't have to come to that and we sort it
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    There is no need for concern if the injection is 2-3 days late but as it's designed to last for 4 or 12 weeks then obviously you would not really want to go without for much longer than this period as the effects of the drug would wear off.

To ensure the injection is always available on the right day I would suggest requesting a prescription from the GP and then take it to the chemist giving them time enough to order the injection. Your dad can then take the injection with him when he attends surgery for his appointment.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions of getting it prescribed, I might just do that.

Well I didn't receive a call today, so rang into the surgery, and was told that the GP in question isn't in today, so will ring in tomorrow and see what is going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the help guys,

I got a call today from the doctor. And was told they don't have zoladex but they have another one which is the same thing. She was able to get us in today just before she starts with the emergency clinic.

When we went in she said that they do not have zoladex but have something called prostap 3, hence the reason she initially told us that they have the injection in stock but when we went the other day, the gp that he saw (which was a different person) looked for the one the hospital used.

I asked if we could get it prescribed and do it that way, but she said she can't but they always have it in storage. I will ring about a week before each appointment anyway and make sure they have some in.

Again, thanks for your suggestions.