Doctor Who Series 3 Episode 8 - 'Human Nature' 26/05/07 19:10

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dangerman wrote: »
    I'm hoping it's something to do with Latimer anyway. While Smith has shown a few Doctor like traits , it would be a little too simplistic for him to simply switch them on when required. Of course Martha may come up with something 'Doctor like' she has been travelling long enough with him to know how things work ;)

i think it will be somthing to do with Latimer as well. Mayeb he opens the watch and thee family smell it and latch onto him or something. There is something freaky about the Latimer boy as well. Those future flashes are really weird.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leatha wrote: »
    I know it's not him, but the kid with the watch reminded me of Turlough.

mm know what you mean...made quite an impression in the story..
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    geraniums wrote: »
    My only gripe was - why leave the pocket watch lying around so that anyone could nick it?!

Roll on next week!:D
    The Doc did not realise the significance of it - it was just his watch. And no doubt he did when anyone else would do with their pocketwatch - put it on a table, sideboard or mantlepiece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I just loved this ep. It kinda reminds me of oldschool Doctor Who, with a serious and dark tone.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    In the preview for part two, we see the Doctor holding a baby. It made me wonder if he will, in fact, spend a lot more time with his new girlfriend and produce a son/ daughter? As this half-human half-timelord would be born in 1914, when we arrive at the present day, he would be grown up, but not necessarily aged at the human rate. Could this character be who the Face of Bo was referring to when he told the Doctor that he was not alone? Furthermore, could this character be Mr Saxon.... the Doctor's son?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The Doc did not realise the significance of it - it was just his watch. And no doubt he did when anyone else would do with their pocketwatch - put it on a table, sideboard or mantlepiece.

Yes, I know that - but Martha knew its significance. So why didn`t she keep it on chain around her neck or something?

Anyhoo..........overall it was still an excellent episode.:)
  • RodaramaRodarama Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really good episode I thought. I have a continuity theory. If The Doc marries Matron, and they have kids, can we speculate these kids would be Susan's parents alllowing RTD to tie up an original series question about Susan's origin in the William Hartnell years? It would certainly be in keeping with the time frame? Any takers? No? Just me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know that - but Martha knew its significance. So why didn`t she keep it on chain around her neck or something?

A mere servant girl having a rather nice looking pocket watch? What better way to bring more interest to it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rodarama wrote: »
    Really good episode I thought. I have a continuity theory. If The Doc marries Matron, and they have kids, can we speculate these kids would be Susan's parents alllowing RTD to tie up an original series question about Susan's origin in the William Hartnell years? It would certainly be in keeping with the time frame? Any takers? No? Just me?

Good idea :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Evil Eye wrote: »
    A mere servant girl having a rather nice looking pocket watch? What better way to bring more interest to it?

She could have worn it under her clothes, kept it in her pocket. Kept it locked in a box. Kept it safe in the Tardis.

It was just a minor thing that irked me at the time, but it didn`t really detract from the overall excellence of the episode.:)
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    She could have worn it under her clothes, kept it in her pocket. Kept it locked in a box. Kept it safe in the Tardis.

It was just a minor thing that irked me at the time, but it didn`t really detract from the overall excellence of the episode.:)

Perhaps, it needed to be in close proximity to the Doctor, or start to loose his essence?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this episode! Much as i like the 'new' format, it's the first time since the show came back it's had the feel of old school Doctor Who for me. Really really good. Looking forward to next week so much :)
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    If the watch hadn't been left lying around, it couldn't have been nicked.

It's called plot development ;~}
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    WOW, look at the poll, its taking off for this episode.
    Just three small things I didn't like,
    Martha moaning about the Doctor falling in love with a human that wasn't her.
    Another mention of Rose.
    The doctor kissing (borderline for me this one)
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't The Doctor kissing, it was John Smith.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very good episode.

Here is the synopsis of the book if anyone wants to see how next weeks epiosde may turnout.

Rodarama wrote: »

Unlikely.

The First Doctor would have had to pick up a baby Susan in the 1940/1950's, somehow recognise this totally human baby (no Timelord DNA as her Grandfather was John Smith not the Doctor) as his Grandaughter and take her to Gallifrey (where humans were not allowed) to grow up.

I suppose it could be argued that Susan being human could have been a reason she and the Doctor had to leave Gallifrey though.

As to the theory that Latimer is a young Jack Harkness, this page suggests otherwise.

http://www.gavinbarkerassociates.co.uk/actors/jack-montgomery.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    No it's Colin Baker.
    Somebody on 'Outpost Gallifrey' has posted the sketches from the book that match up perfectly with the features of the faces of old Doctor Who publicity photos which have been mirror reversed.

Strangely, it's the features of the Hartnell image which don't match up. The pose in the sketch does match up with the Hartnell pose from the publicity photo, but the facial features are well out, and it's as though it's another actor completely.
    Somebody might be mistaken in thinking that they may have an actor lined up to play Hartnell in some future episode in a future series. Because that's not Hartnell's face. He didn't have really fat cheeks like that.

I wasn't aware of the OG posting, but did wonder while watching the episode whether the Baker featured in the drawing was Tom or Colin.

However, I have to agree that I didn't recognise the top-right face as Hartnell's - I assumed that it was an (equally inaccurate) rendition of Chris Eccleston, which would sort of make sense - all the other faces shown being the Doctor's most recent (or most recently televised!) incarnations.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it was his watch, not hers. As a maid, she would not have been expected to have such an item.
    Forum Member
    Did anyone notice that when the girl with the balloon was walking along, the music that was playing was the same style music from the Sylvestor McCoy Doctor Who series Remembrance of the Daleks, also when the girl appeared.
    Forum Member
    It wasn't The Doctor kissing, it was John Smith.

Poor reasoning, thats like saying it was David Tennant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Exactly. Dosey mare. :D

I agree - it was certainly the best episode so far for me and the scarecrow monsters were a very nice touch. They'd have freaked me out when I was little.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly it makes no sense for people to say that the little boy is Captain Jack Harkness as it was established in series 1 that CJH originates from the 51st century

Secondly unless you come up with some complicated slowing down of age theory the doctors "baby" can't be Saxon as he is only about 40 whereas he would have to be in his 90's to have been born in 1913

Thirdly when Martha replies to the boy "not now tim" she is doing so in 1913 not the future so there is nothing odd about it.
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Because it was his watch, not hers. As a maid, she would not have been expected to have such an item.

She could've kept it hidden then no-one would ever have known.

Of course, if she had then it wouldn't have been stolen and we wouldn't have this episode.
  • Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Poor reasoning, thats like saying it was David Tennant.

Not poor reasoning at all. The point is that John Smith and The Doctor might have the same body but they're not the same person.
    Forum Member
    garbage456 wrote: »
    WOW, look at the poll, its taking off for this episode.
    Just three small things I didn't like,
    Martha moaning about the Doctor falling in love with a human that wasn't her.
    I didn't mind that. It would be a bit gut wrenching if you were in love with someone and had to watch them going all gooey over someone else.
    Another mention of Rose.
    Yes. Could've done without that. She was a lot prettier in that sketch though...
    The doctor kissing (borderline for me this one)

I didn't mind that on this occasion.