Options

Advice needed on upgrading this pc ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    It hasn't picked up your SATA drives for whatever reason. Give WD lifeguard a try instead.

Will do

The noise my computer is making is like a creaking noise from inside the mini tower. Its sluggish, theres not much on the harddrive and not that long ago since i formatted it and put xp on, there was vista on before but i didnt have the original disc, do have the vista sticker code though. Anyway i put xp on because it was running like crap with visa. My friend gave me this pc, it was her daughters, and was running slow and full of crap so i decided the best option was to put xp on. It could be that the hd or something else is wrong. Im with virgin broadband for internet so i dont think its that thats making it slow

Im a novice with computers though willing to try stuff to upgrade it etc, money is tight at the mo so hopefully i wont have to spend too much rectifying the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It hasn't picked up your SATA drives for whatever reason. Give WD lifeguard a try instead.

Did the full test

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
    Model Number: ST3160812AS
    Unit Serial Number: 9LS6KWJ4
    Firmware Number: 3.AAE
    Capacity: 160.04 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: PASS
    Test Time: 22:49:31, November 23, 2014
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Its hardly surprising it ran like crap with Vista when it only has 1GB RAM (minus whatever is allocated for graphics). Looks like it was another one of those early "Vista Capable" PCs that was anything but.

At least you have now confirmed the hard disk is OK. It could be as previously suggested - ie. pagefile usage. If you haven't done so already it would be worth popping the side off and making sure the insides are clear of dust etc - no clogged up fans and the like. If its bad then you may want to take it outside with a can of compressed air :cool:

Now if it was me, I'd be tempted to go for the RAM upgrade then look at rebuilding it with some flavour of Linux. Probably one of the lighter flavours that work better with old hardware. Someone else may be able to advise better on that though. If you only require it for basic tasks and don't have any Windows-only programs you need then it makes sense rather than using an obsolete OS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its hardly surprising it ran like crap with Vista when it only has 1GB RAM (minus whatever is allocated for graphics). Looks like it was another one of those early "Vista Capable" PCs that was anything but.

At least you have now confirmed the hard disk is OK. It could be as previously suggested - ie. pagefile usage. If you haven't done so already it would be worth popping the side off and making sure the insides are clear of dust etc - no clogged up fans and the like. If its bad then you may want to take it outside with a can of compressed air :cool:

Now if it was me, I'd be tempted to go for the RAM upgrade then look at rebuilding it with some flavour of Linux. Probably one of the lighter flavours that work better with old hardware. Someone else may be able to advise better on that though. If you only require it for basic tasks and don't have any Windows-only programs you need then it makes sense rather than using an obsolete OS.

i might get some more memory yes, is it laptop memory i need ? its only a small mini tower thing. if i get 2gb memory i might try and put vista on

what can i do about pagefile useage ?
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justmadeit wrote: »
    i might get some more memory yes, is it laptop memory i need ? its only a small mini tower thing. if i get 2gb memory i might try and put vista on

If/when you get more RAM then change the pagefile to the new recommended size.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    If/when you get more RAM then change the pagefile to the new recommended size.

How do i do that ?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Go to http://uk.crucial.com and use their system scanner which will tell you exactly what memory you already have, how many free slots there are available and what type of RAM is compatible with the machine.

You can then either buy from them or make a note of the type of RAM and see look elsewhere if you want it cheaper. But make sure you note down everything exactly as some differences between very similar spec RAM can make the difference between it working or not working.

Direct link to the scanner tool

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do i do that ?

There's no point telling you until you have more RAM :p

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Go to http://uk.crucial.com and use their system scanner which will tell you exactly what memory you already have, how many free slots there are available and what type of RAM is compatible with the machine.

You can then either buy from them or make a note of the type of RAM and see look elsewhere if you want it cheaper. But make sure you note down everything exactly as some differences between very similar spec RAM can make the difference between it working or not working.

Direct link to the scanner tool

http://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/systemscanner

Its this i have in. I want to put the maximum in for the m,b which is 2gb, so i will take thse out and put in 2 sticks of 1gb each..........someone on here said i need laptop memory for it though as its a v small mid tower thing i have. I dont want to spend much, as cheap as pos with something that will work off ebay if anyone can give me a link or recommend some memory for me ??? which of these can i use ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=DDR+PC2-5300&LH_Auction=1&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XDDR+PC2-5300+1gb&_nkw=DDR+PC2-5300+1gb&_sacat=0

what i have in my pc now below...

512MB

DDR PC2-5300
    512MB
    DDR PC2-5300

could i use this one in mine ??? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-2-x-1-GB-DDR2-667-MHz-PC2-5300-Laptop-SODIMM-Memory-RAM-KIT-200-pin-/271680990042?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item3f4172eb5a
  • Options
    Forum Member

thanks. That looks ok, good price too, will go for that i think.

Is there a free online test that will check my cpu and memory too ?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Just had a look inside my case and its easy enough to get access to memory, removal of 2 screws

My question is: when new memory arrives do i need to update my bios, this mini tower is fairly old, from late 2007. and b, do i need to reinstall windows ?

Im running xp pro at mo on this. The case on the tower has a vista code/key, i dont have a disc though, though i did buy a backup disc off ebay for vista which ive yet to try out, this is it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-VISTA-HOME-PREMIUM-BASIC-32-64-BIT-RE-INSTALL-RECOVERY-DISC-/291258094405?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item43d055d345 ............though not sure if it will work ??? as when i put xp pro on this pc after my friend gave it me, i deleted vista and did a full format deleting partitions etc before putting xp pro on as i had a disc for that, but i think id be better off with vista, as theres no support now for xp, though i do have sp2 and 3 on a disk for xp
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a look inside my case and its easy enough to get access to memory, removal of 2 screws

My question is: when new memory arrives do i need to update my bios, this mini tower is fairly old, from late 2007. and b, do i need to reinstall windows ?

Im running xp pro at mo on this. The case on the tower has a vista code/key, i dont have a disc though, though i did buy a backup disc off ebay for vista which ive yet to try out, this is it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WINDOWS-VISTA-HOME-PREMIUM-BASIC-32-64-BIT-RE-INSTALL-RECOVERY-DISC-/291258094405?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item43d055d345 ............though not sure if it will work ??? as when i put xp pro on this pc after my friend gave it me, i deleted vista and did a full format deleting partitions etc before putting xp pro on as i had a disc for that, but i think id be better off with vista, as theres no support now for xp, though i do have sp2 and 3 on a disk for xp

No, you don't have to do anything. The BIOS should recognise the extra RAM, and XP will boot as normal.

If you want to install Vista, it's up to you. However, you would probably lose all the performance improvement the RAM gives you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, you don't have to do anything. The BIOS should recognise the extra RAM, and XP will boot as normal.

If you want to install Vista, it's up to you. However, you would probably lose all the performance improvement the RAM gives you.

Ok. i'll stick with xp. I use youtube a lot mainly but dont tend to download much, but i was wondering if this computer ( the acer aspire L 100 ) had the capacity for a graphics card and whether this will make things any better ? Or is it unneccesary ?

Ive been getting, 'this script has stopped' etc popping up recently and an option to continue etc, usually when a page freezes up, happens on youtube videos occasionally, not sure whats causing that

Would this memory work ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-2x-1GB-PC2-5300-DDR2-667Mhz-200-pin-RAM-SODIMM-Laptop-Memory-/201225137745?pt=UK_Computing_ComputerComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item2ed9f3ee51 .....it says 5300s, so has an 's' on the end of it and mine doesnt, so would it work ?

I'll prob go for the other memory though, was just curious
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The one you have linked to is PC2 5300 so should work yes, BUT, you have already said there are 2x 512mb modules installed. You will end up with 1.5GB (minus anything used for graphics) not 2GB.

-edit-
    Beaten to it by the Stig :p

Can i use this memory ? its is pc 5300 but has an s on the end of it ? it's 5300s

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271680990042?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT