Dual Monitor Setup

Can anyone help me with this setup? I cannot get the second monitor to come on, despite the PC recognising it. I have the following setup:

Monitor 1 - VGA goes to KVM (Console)
Monitor 2 - DVI goes to KVM (Console)
Laptop (HP Elitebook) - VGA goes to KVM (PC1)
Laptop - Display port to DVI Adapter tp KVM (PC1)

All drivers are up to date. The laptop thinks that the second monitor is on and active. The laptop picks up the correct monitor model.

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the KVM? A switch or some sort of extender? Make and model would help.

Have you tried plugging the two monitors directly into the laptop without this KVM in the way? That would help narrow down where the problem is occurring.
  • nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    What is the KVM? A switch or some sort of extender? Make and model would help.

Have you tried plugging the two monitors directly into the laptop without this KVM in the way? That would help narrow down where the problem is occurring.

Startech 2 port DVI VGA Dual Monitor USB KVM Switch.

Yes, I had the two monitors working before via Display port (but without the Display port to DVI adapter) into one and the other into VGA. I need the KVM as I need a second PC hooked into it.
    Forum Member
    Just plugged directly into both monitors and they are working fine. One in the VGA and the other plugged into the display port to a DVI adapter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. It looks like the Startech switch should support two monitors at the same time. So first test would be to plug into the PC 2 input and see if that works. Always possible the PC 1 input isn't working.

And try just the DVI connection without the VGA via the switch to see if that works.

Presumably also you have two DVI to DVI leads, one between the laptop and switch and one between switch and monitor? If so have you tried both leads direct from laptop to monitor just to make sure they both work?

Basically it's just a case of working through the various elements in the chain to try and work out which link is broken.

Oh and one more thing. Try it with a low resolution and refresh rate over DVI to begin with then if it works turn the resolution up a notch until you get to a point where it stops working and turn it back to the last working setting. Could be something to do with the amount of data passing through the switch.
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Just swapped everything over to the PC2 setup on the KVA and the problem remains.
    Forum Member
    Monitor is now constantly flashing up "Entering power saving mode" message every 5-10 seconds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monitor is now constantly flashing up "Entering power saving mode" message every 5-10 seconds.

It will do if it isn't seeing a video signal.

Like I posted above check all the individual cables work on their own just in case one of them is dodgy. And try the resolution setting just in case the switch is incapable of handling whatever it is set to by default.