So as Vince is about to resign how long until an election?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole Lib Dem party should have resigned over the student fee's, quite frankly I judge those who haven't (and it seems to be most of the party at present).
  • walesrobwalesrob Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Lets hope so. Labour need to get back in power and the country needs them to sort out this mess the Tories have put the poor into.

One of the funniest things I've read today.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet Labour are dissapointed now..... they sniffed a scalp today, but ended up with nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    walesrob wrote: »
    One of the funniest things I've read today.

Quite frankly its true, Tory and Labour are utterly useless - we need a new political party to overthrow the tyrannical reign of twidle-dee and twidle-dumb.
  • lucius4lucius4 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Jason, wrote: »
    Only a matter of months now surely?

Doctor Cable is now a lame duck. He hates the Tories his words not mine:)
    The only reason he has not been relieved of his ministerial car is that this Goverment knows they will all lose there cars too if Doctor Cable went.
    Nice way to run the Country, I see today this Coalition has borrowed more money this month 23 Billion in November highest figure since records began. Year to date 104.4Bn
    This Goverment is a Joke. They are all liers just like the opposition.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Labour's leader is awful and has hardly any screen presence. They also won't have any policies for 2 years on their 'consultation process'.

The Tories are crippling the poor and their leader is a smarmy idiot. I disagree with a vast range of their policies, such as tuition fees and actual gay marriage (not 'civil partnerships').

The Lib Dems will jump in bed with anyone and get rid of any dignity they have just to stay in power.

There is no choice IMO for the public, even if there would be an election next year.
  • J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    I bet Labour are dissapointed now..... they sniffed a scalp today, but ended up with nothing.

I think you are wrong. This result shows quite how weak the coalition actually is. Labour will be quite happy with the fact that Cable has stayed when everyone knows he should be on his toes. Can you imagine the reaction that he will get when he stands up to speak in the House. I think the Labour party will be relishing this.

Cameron was in a hopeless situation.
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    lucius4 wrote: »
    Doctor Cable is now a lame duck. He hates the Tories his words not mine:)
    The only reason he has not been relieved of his ministerial car is that this Goverment knows they will all lose there cars too if Doctor Cable went.
    Nice way to run the Country, I see today this Coalition has borrowed more money this month 23 Billion in November highest figure since records began. Year to date 104.4Bn
    This Goverment is a Joke. They are all liers just like the opposition.

I thought that he refused a ministerial car.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I am aghast at the entire situation. Not that I don't disagree with him over the Murdoch issue, but Cable's poor judgement just seems to be too unbelieveable for words. If it wouldn't be such a waste of my energy, I would be suspicious.
    Forum Member
    Labour's leader is awful and has hardly any screen presence. They also won't have any policies for 2 years on their 'consultation process'.

The Tories are crippling the poor and their leader is a smarmy idiot. I disagree with a vast range of their policies, such as tuition fees and actual gay marriage (not 'civil partnerships').

The Lib Dems will jump in bed with anyone and get rid of any dignity they have just to stay in power.

There is no choice IMO for the public, even if there would be an election next year.

Unfortunately, I think this sounds about right. The UK is in a sorry state which is why I intend to get out as soon as practically possible. I want the hope of a good life and, in my opinion, no party in the UK can offer that to me any longer.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    The whole Lib Dem party should have resigned over the student fee's, quite frankly I judge those who haven't (and it seems to be most of the party at present).

Should the Parliamentary Labour Party (those who voted for tuition fees when they were introduced) have resigned over the same issue when they said they would not introduce them and, by happy coincidence, 6 months later they nodded them through like the sheep they are.
    Forum Member
    J Lenin wrote: »
    Can I have the pills you're on?

So what do you disagree with in my comment and why ?
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    thanks to the cuts and attacks on the poor n vulnable in society a lot of people are in seroius trouble now

I can see the cuts in the education budget already.... :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex-lurker wrote: »
    I am aghast at the entire situation. Not that I don't disagree with him over the Murdoch issue, but Cable's poor judgement just seems to be too unbelieveable for words. If it wouldn't be such a waste of my energy, I would be suspicious.

You know I agree with you. I think Cable is right about Murdoch but he has shown an incredible lack of judgement given his position. What on earth was he thinking of? If he were a Tory minister he would be gone. If he were a Labour minister he would be gone.
    What we are left with is highly unacceptable and a problem for the government that will not go away. However if he had resigned there would have been another problem for the government that would not have gone away. Cable on the back benches.
    Forum Member
    J Lenin wrote: »
    You know I agree with you. I think Cable is right about Murdoch but he has shown an incredible lack of judgement given his position. What on earth was he thinking of? If he were a Tory minister he would be gone. If he were a Labour minister he would be gone.
    What we are left with is highly unacceptable and a problem for the government that will not go away. However if he had resigned there would have been another problem for the government that would not have gone away. Cable on the back benches.

Exactly. This is a huge thing and he's been very lucky to keep his position, albeit with less responsibilites. How the coalition can be taken seriously now is anyone's guess, but that doesn't matter anyway because it will plough on regardless.

(Just realised the double negative boob I made in my last post, meant to say "Not that I disagree with him/Not that I don't agree with him").
    Forum Member
    Ex-lurker wrote: »
    Exactly. This is a huge thing and he's been very lucky to keep his position, albeit with less responsibilites. How the coalition can be taken seriously now is anyone's guess, but that doesn't matter anyway because it will plough on regardless.

(Just realised the double negative boob I made in my last post, meant to say "Not that I disagree with him/Not that I don't agree with him").

6 months after Labour were elected they were exposed for taking a £1million bung from a chap involved in Formula 1 racing.

By happy coincidence Formula 1 racing was exempted from the ban on tobacco advertising.

People soon forget that.

This will all blow over.
  • lucius4lucius4 Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I thought that he refused a ministerial car.

:eek: he does not have to pay for petrol like you and I
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M@nterik wrote: »
    6 months after Labour were elected they were exposed for taking a £1million bung from a chap involved in Formula 1 racing.

By happy coincidence Formula 1 racing was exempted from the ban on tobacco advertising.

People soon forget that.

This will all blow over.

We are discussing Vince Cable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what do you disagree with in my comment and why ?

See post 65.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Either way. Nobody should be allowed such a major share in a company responsible for delivering a such a large portion of media output in this country.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And even better, Eccelestone got his money back. He got policy changed and it didn't cost him a penny.

If Labourites are going to call for an election every time something goes wrong then they are going to sound like a broken record. This holier-than-thou attitude wouldn't be so bad if it didn't come from a party which spent 13 years screwing things up.
  • cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    And even better, Eccelestone got his money back. He got policy changed and it didn't cost him a penny.

If Labourites are going to call for an election every time something goes wrong then they are going to sound like a broken record. This holier-than-thou attitude wouldn't be so bad if it didn't come from a party which spent 13 years screwing things up.

The policy wasn't changed, it was just deleted. Either way it was just an example of bias, which all parties use.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    Vince Cable has made a huge error of judgement which makes it likely that he will be judged unfit to continue in public office. Once he has been removed and a successor appointed, I see no reason why this should affect the position of the government.

Exactly. Cable is still a fool though
    mungobrush wrote: »
    And now
    UK government borrowing hits record high

The latest borrowing figure was larger than expected
    CBI revises growth forecast down
    Retail sales up 0.3% in November
    Unemployment in UK rising again
    The amount of new public sector borrowing hit a fresh record high in November, according to the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

Net borrowing totalled £23.3bn last month, up from £17.4bn a year ago, and more than analysts had expected."

All the more reason why the cuts should be sooner than later
  • ScaramoucheScaramouche Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did the Telegraph leak the part about Murdoch to the BBC rather than claim the scoop themselves so that people would take it more seriously as the BBC is generally more trusted as an unbiased news source?

That would be tragically ironic.
  • SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    All the more reason why the cuts should be sooner than later

Agreed. The whole reason the coalition was formed was proported to be their understanding of what a fragile situation the economy was in, and how quickly action was needed.

As far as I can see very little has been done to address the core reasons for the deficit, indeed some earlier decisions have been reversed, and the borrowing is increasing. I get the point that it will take time for the economic reconstruction to feed through, but so far much of what has been done has merely been tinkering around the edges, and quite a bit in the wrong places.

There will eventually come a time when bond markets will not want to continue this charade. Cameron, Clegg and Osborne need to get to grips with this pretty soon, or they will be little better than their Labour forebears, and mere career politicians.

Before the election I did wonder whether Cameron had the balls to make the tough and unpopular decisions necessary to address this problem. I really dont want my doubts to be proved, especially considering there are few alternatives, politically or economically. If Labour supporters think there may be a return to the good old spending free for all following another election with a Labour victory, they may well have a massive shock, as Labour would have to address the situation as well, and make sharp cuts too.

It is interesting how the credit crisis is said by many Labour supporters to be a global phenomenon, yet the cuts, which are equally global, and in some countries far more swinging, are said to be 'Tory cuts'.