HDMI 1.4 No ethernet??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
Forum Member
hi folks,
just looking to pick a few brains (hopefully)

I have recently purchased a new sony smart tv and decided to cut down on cables so i thought i would buy a 1.4 HDMI cable to connect Tv to sky HD box which carries ethernet.

I was under the impression that if i connected tv via ethernet cable from router (it works okay) then the HDMI would stream
sky anytime+ content through my new cable thus enabling me one less cable (1 ethernet)...Have i missed or done something wrong here???
cheers in advance

Comments

• Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be wrong but I don't think the Sky+HD boxes support Ethernet through HDMI, you have to use the Ethernet connection on the box.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I don't think the Sky+HD boxes support Ethernet through HDMI, you have to use the Ethernet connection on the box.

I thought Sky boxes only have hdmi 1.2 ports. Both ends have to compliant.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both ends have to have HDMI 1.4 + Ethernet compliant. If only one end is then it is never going to work.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/index.aspx

And you have to use a specific HDMI cable with ethernet connection. A bog standard HDMI cable won't carry the ethernet connection.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/finding_right_cable.aspx
  • warpspeedwarpspeed Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    carrot70 wrote: »
    hi folks,
    just looking to pick a few brains (hopefully)

I have recently purchased a new sony smart tv and decided to cut down on cables so i thought i would buy a 1.4 HDMI cable to connect Tv to sky HD box which carries ethernet.

I was under the impression that if i connected tv via ethernet cable from router (it works okay) then the HDMI would stream
    sky anytime+ content through my new cable thus enabling me one less cable (1 ethernet)...Have i missed or done something wrong here???
    cheers in advance

u will need sky brd band 1 e/net port from your sky moderm to sky hd box and 2nd e/net cable to get your smart tv to work apps ,your hdmi cables r for external hd connections for blurray players xbox ps3 home theat/etc note anytime plus only works if u have your internet with them ,ps theres sky go now u can stream from pc to tv with a hdmi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Sky boxes only have hdmi 1.2 ports. Both ends have to compliant.

I thought that was pretty much what I said :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was pretty much what I said :confused:

Your post wasn't there when I replied. It took a while to check the sky box hdmi spec, and I got interrupted during the posting. You shouldn't make incorrect assumptions. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your post wasn't there when I replied. It took a while to check the sky box hdmi spec, and I got interrupted during the posting. You shouldn't make incorrect assumptions. :eek:

How did you quote my post if it wasn't there then?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Confused. Failed to read the poster, Assumed you were the following poster (Chrisjr) who said the same as I did. Why did you not take umbrage at him. Both of us explained why there was a problem, not some vague I might be wrong.

You weren't wrong you ought to be happy both of us confirmed you were not :eek:
  • LongBallPleaseLongBallPlease Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

lol!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    thanks for your help folks....much appreciated