Options

What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
  • Options
    jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    The Sunne in Spleandor by Sharon Penman
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    The End of Everything - Megan Abbott
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished 'Already Dead' the 13th Stephen Booth novel
    about Detectives Fry and Cooper.Set in a bleaker part of
    my own county of Derbyshire,these books are an object
    lesson to many writers,as to how a crime thriller SHOULD
    be written! Superb, as ever!
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    Just finished 'Already Dead' the 13th Stephen Booth novel
    about Detectives Fry and Cooper.Set in a bleaker part of
    my own county of Derbyshire,these books are an object
    lesson to many writers,as to how a crime thriller SHOULD
    be written! Superb, as ever!

Thanks for posting - you've reminded me to check if the audio version is in my library yet, and they do have it now. I've reserved it, so I'm looking forward to enjoying that in the next couple of weeks. :)

I've just finished 'Say it with Poison', the first in the Mitchell and Markby series by Ann Granger. Nice straightforward crime drama - nothing fancy or innovative, but enjoyable nonetheless.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An Utterly Exasperated History of Modern Britain: or Sixty Years of Making the Same Stupid Mistakes as Always by John O'Farrell.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kirsty MacColl: The One and Only: The Authorised Biography - Karen O'Brien
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Taking A Punt On My Life - Willie Thorne
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished I am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes- it was good, was really sad that it came to an end.

About to start The Skin Collectore by Jeffrey Deaver- I like Lincoln Rhyme books so am looking forward to it.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Just finished The Target by David Baldacci. Its the third book in the Will Robie series and its easily the worst of the three. The first two were very good, so this book had a lot to live up to, and it doesnt quite manage it. This isnt a bad book, though - its a good read. However if you have read the first two books in the series, you may well be slightly disappointed by this book.
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Just finished Alex by Adam J Nicolai (a free kindle download) - very thought provoking, and highly recommended if you like the paranormal/ghost stories/the unexplained.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    About to start The Skin Collectore by Jeffrey Deaver- I like Lincoln Rhyme books so am looking forward to it.
    OH got that from amazon on his ereader on his phone on my recommnedation but isn't enjoying it. Is there any way he can transfer it to my kindle , does anyone know?
  • Options
    TommyNookaTommyNooka Posts: 2,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    OH got that from amazon on his ereader on his phone on my recommnedation but isn't enjoying it. Is there any way he can transfer it to my kindle , does anyone know?

If you are both using the same amazon account on your Kindles then it's relatively easy, you just go onto the kindle store and select it for download from your purchase history. However if you are using your own amazon accounts then it may be impossible although I do remember reading something about them introducing a loan function but it's not something I'd use.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Game of Thrones. I haven't read any fantasy in over a decade so not sure whether I'll take to it or not. The chapters are very short though so it should be easy enough to get through, bit by bit. By TV standards I'm only on about episode 3 of season 1!
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Under a silent moon by Elizabeth Haynes.

I was looking forward to her newest offering but I'm finding it a bit hard to get into.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    I'm currently about 1/3 way through The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the first in a trilogy with the last slightly worryingly yet to be completed.

I can't remember how this book got on my Kindle, I started reading it quite aimlessly really as I wasn't getting in to the book I had been reading.

Really pleased I did, what a great story about a great story!

Superbly written and different in a way I can't quite put my finger on from the norm in these fantasy fiction type books..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex Marwood- The Killer Next Door
  • Options
    kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Property of a lady" by Sarah Rayne, excellent so far:D
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    I'm reading Submarine by Joe Dunthorne. Very good so far and has had me laughing out loud a few times.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Moondust by Andrew Smith in which he details his travels across America in search of the nine surviving US astronauts who set foot upon the Moon between 1969 and 1972.
  • Options
    dymafidymafi Posts: 775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last of the Summer Wine: The Inside Story of the World's Longest-Running Comedy Programme by Andrew Vine

Don't know why I purchased it .. 99p on Kindle probably. Never watched the programme until the last couple of episodes. But this book is a little gem. Excellently written and researched by a journalist .. so here we get an honest behind-the-scenes look at how Roy Clarke approached the writing of the series, the friction between actors, the true feelings of the locals of Holmfirth towards the filming and the bus loads of fans. Brilliant. This is a solid template for all showbiz type books.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moondust by Andrew Smith in which he details his travels across America in search of the nine surviving US astronauts who set foot upon the Moon between 1969 and 1972.

I read that a few years ago. It was quite heavy going but I absolutely loved it, it was very insightful and really makes you appreciate the amazing achievements of those men.

I am reading Where there's Smoke by Jodi Picoult, a short story so should have it finished tonight!
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just started the audiobook version of The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. It's very short, which will be a good thing after having ploughed through The Luminaries.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've just started the audiobook version of The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes. It's very short, which will be a good thing after having ploughed through The Luminaries.

It's rather good, although heavy going in places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ann Cleeves- Burial of ghosts