Options

Undercover Boss, Channel 4 15/07/14

13»

Comments

• Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    wolfuk wrote: »
    Also The show is only going to show the main people, those with a story, Im sure there is alot missed and they do more stores than seen. Alot of staff will be visited, or at least rewarded, in some way.

Whilst there will be some editing, it's television and as such the programme will have been carefully planned and researched. The staff to be worked with will have been identified and researched well in advance. Given the costs involved in making the programme it's possible although doubtful that that filming took place in more stores than were seen.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    Joe1500 wrote: »
    If I was the owner of Moss I would have sacked the CEO after watching that because he and his managers don't seem to have tackled some of the problems in the company. It's funny how soon as they make a programme he decides to replace the lorries which some managers must have known were breaking down often. It also seems pretty unfair that a small number of staff who got lucky being in the programme enjoy rewards like a free holiday, pay rise or promotion.

Daft question I know but I'll ask it anyway
    DOES THE COMPANY GET PAID FOR TAKING PART ???
    Or just free advertising for an hour ??
  • Options
    pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Daft question I know but I'll ask it anyway
    DOES THE COMPANY GET PAID FOR TAKING PART ???
    Or just free advertising for an hour ??

I would suspect that all that's in it for the company is the free publicity, which you otherwise simply couldn't buy.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Have they ever sacked anyone before?
    They have on the American (or Canadian) version, and rightly so. The lady who was sacked was slagging off the customers to their faces, and called him (the Boss) an idiot in front of paying customers.

She was a right piece of work. Even after she was sacked, she played the victim and said she was misunderstood.

It all seemed scripted to me.

In the American Candle company the assistant being followed admitted to wanting to clout some of the children who made his life a misery - which didn't exactly go down well.

Somebody mentioned chugging in relation to Oxfam; good - we might see less of it. Much less. Better still, none of it.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im glad he went back to the Philippines and did something nice for that lass, even i filled up at that part. :blush:
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paying for her exams - so much better than the usual trip to Florida for the weeks lucky employee! And, no doubt, she'll use her qualifications for Oxfam after.
    Pity they gave the Boss no real chance to counter the accusations about high executive pay - its a common theme around these days that does seem to be affecting charitable giving.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »
    Im glad he went back to the Philippines and did something nice for that lass, even i filled up at that part. :blush:

totally agree: I visited Tacloban before the hurricane and hope to return before too long to see how they are getting on.
  • Options
    Foxy RhinoFoxy Rhino Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A far better show tonight. Going back to what the show is really about and the rewards were all work-related.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another thing about the Moss Bros one last week that's been bugging me since I watched it. That Edinburgh branch had been operating with only a stand in Manager for five years since the last guy quit, the guy doing it was only getting an ordinary worker's wages. The CEO going undercover should have taken a long look at himself in the first place. for allowing a scandalous situation like that run for so long in a supposed flagship branch in one of the UK's most popular cities.
  • Options
    orange70000orange70000 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I think the format is getting tired now, it's all too obvious and yes there is a large degree of staging as well, I heard on the grapevine that the Thierry guy from the London store actually in reality works in a store based in the South West and was drafted in to London to get some exposure.

Sadly, the people who come off looking worse in all the programs are the CEO's themselves particulary when it's only small retailers with less than 100 stores.
    A CEO in charge of 100 store or less estate really shouldn't be that out of touch that they haven't got a clue what's going on.

The episode I found most unbelievable was the Luminar/Oceana one, with the new boss shocked at how people binge drink on club promos. The CEO had spent most of his life in the pub/club industry and think (not sure) worked under the old Luminar before it went broke!!1
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK series gone 1 series too far.

It's an atrocious show now.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder why its not the boss this week :confused:
  • Options