Cigarettes from abroad

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
Forum Member
Hi
Does anyone know how much a packet of 20 cigarettes-say B&H/Richmond (British cigarettes) cost in Albufeira,Algarve and how many one is allowed to bring back?
Thanks in anticipation

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea what they cost but since this is within EU travel...I think they suggest up to about 3000 before customs will take you into a back room with rubber gloves, investigate your bank accounts and have an undercover SWAT team follow you on suspicion of import for personal gain/resale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    No idea what they cost but since this is within EU travel...I think they suggest up to about 3000 before customs will take you into a back room with rubber gloves, investigate your bank accounts and have an undercover SWAT team follow you on suspicion of import for personal gain/resale.
    Thanx for that glasshalffull. I did think 3000 was max but just needed a bit of confirmation
  • collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The HMRC 'guideline' is 3,200 per person, for personal use only.
  • collincncollincn Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and I was there in June, about Euro38 for a carton of 200
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    collincn wrote: »
    The HMRC 'guideline' is 3,200 per person, for personal use only.

From 1st Oct 2011 the guideline is 800

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    rsh wrote: »

Correct and the annoying thing about that is that they haven't made it public (exclude the website because people don't normally goes there) and nothing on the news either.

I feel sorry for those who'll get clobbered.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Top tip: If you ARE planning to buy a heap of **** abroad you'll probably have an easier time if you buy a single brand.

If HMCE find that you have 600 B&H, 600 Malboro, 600 Embassy, 600 Silk Cut etc they're much more likely to give you a hard time than if you just have 3,000 B&H.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    eurotabac.net will give you cig prices for spain
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So much for 'free trade' between other EU member states eh? Yet another example of this draconian Police state.
  • fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    So much for 'free trade' between other EU member states eh? Yet another example of this draconian Police state.

it is only a guideline but from just coming back from cyprus everywhere was advertising 3200 you can bring back
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    my mate said that spain have implemented the 800 rule not uk...strange i know...you are still allowed 3200 through uk..put them through in your checked in luggage if in fact you are going to bring back a large amount...
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as i know, as long as your coming back from an EU country there is still no limit,you may be questioned if you bring back more than the new guideline but as long as you stand firm and explain your smoking habits and state it's for your own personel use you can bring back as much as you like.
    Obviously a bit of comon sense but IMO if you can prove you only have one holiday abroad each year,in theory they can't stop you from brining back a years supply of ciggies.
    they just like to give the impression they can stop you.

From the Government website

lthough there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than the following:

Goods brought to the UK from the European Union

Until 30 September 2011

From 1 October 2011

Cigarettes

Cigars

Cigarillos

Tobacco

3 kilograms

1 kilogram

Beer

110 litres

110 litres

Wine

90 litres

90 litres

Spirits

10 litres

10 litres

Fortified wine (for example port or sherry)

20 litres

20 litres
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When did our Customs decide to defy the EU rules , witch said it is legal to buy as much as you like as long it is for your own use , it was 3200 ciggs when I was buying them and at that time our Customs etc were fighting a case in the EU court,they lost and put in an appeal , now they are saying 800 , I cant see the EU puyying up with that
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fi~ wrote: »
    it is only a guideline but from just coming back from cyprus everywhere was advertising 3200 you can bring back
    True......though that's where a lot depends on the type of HMRC officer you get to deal with if pulled.

I've had harassment over just a couple of kgs of rolling baccy, yet another time when I had 6kg and got sent in for a grilling, the HMRC guy took one look and said "is that all you've got?" to which I replied 'yes', and he shrugged his shoulders then said, "I can't understand why they've sent you in to me". And that was it.......I was 'released'! :confused:

The 'guideline' business is all a bit crazy really as some smoke more than others. Also another fact I pointed out to one of the HMRC goons who pulled me, why should someone who lives 400 miles from the Ferry port and only makes maybe one trip a year, reasonably be expected to only bring a minimal amount of baccy? It wouldn't make sense to.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Top tip: If you ARE planning to buy a heap of **** abroad you'll probably have an easier time if you buy a single brand.

If HMCE find that you have 600 B&H, 600 Malboro, 600 Embassy, 600 Silk Cut etc they're much more likely to give you a hard time than if you just have 3,000 B&H.

Also ,make sure you have a packet of ciggs open and a lighter in your pocket ;);)
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    When did our Customs decide to defy the EU rules , witch said it is legal to buy as much as you like as long it is for your own use , it was 3200 ciggs when I was buying them and at that time our Customs etc were fighting a case in the EU court,they lost and put in an appeal , now they are saying 800 , I cant see the EU puyying up with that

They aren't defying it. You are still allowed legally to bring back as much as you like as long as it's for personal use.