Potholes caused by economic recovery

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/10914991/Potholes-are-caused-by-the-economic-recovery-a-Transport-minister-has-said.html
“We have also seen more traffic on the roads we have seen a four per cent increase in traffic in the first quarter of this year in comparison to a year ago, that is because more good are travelling around as the economy improves, more people are travelling to work as they get jobs so this means the roads are getting more wear and tear and this money helps councils get on top of that job.”

First passports, now potholes, what next - more burglaries because people have something to steal?

Comments

• LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/10914991/Potholes-are-caused-by-the-economic-recovery-a-Transport-minister-has-said.html

First passports, now potholes, what next - more burglaries because people have something to steal?

I thought a lot of those potholes were from the winter before and hadn't been repaired earlier due to cutbacks.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what dumbass said that?
    oh right
    a DUMBASS!
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Potholes have been caused by prick local councils spending money on white elephant tram line that go no where and run £500 over budget and fail to deliver 1/3rd of the proposed line.

But they get to have photos taken saying the tram is a success because on day 1 more than 5 people used it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I thought a lot of those potholes were from the winter before and hadn't been repaired earlier due to cutbacks.

Some people will believe anything the `Telegraph` prints
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Robert Goodwill MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport)

You have to be a very odd person to make such a claim, the sort of thing you might hear from a Chinese government official.

Weird, did he seriously expect to be believed?
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    (Robert Goodwill MP, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport)

You have to be a very odd person to make such a claim, the sort of thing you might hear from a Chinese government official.

Weird, did he seriously expect to be believed?

I'm sure it's the latest Tory Central office edict , take any opportunity however ridiculous to pretend the economy is improving. Don't worry if you sound bonkers, some idiot will buy it.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure it's the latest Tory Central office edict , take any opportunity however ridiculous to pretend the economy is improving. Don't worry if you sound bonkers, some idiot will buy it.

You might be right, there does appear to be a trend.

This government are shockingly bad at cunning plans though.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    more burglaries because people have something to steal?

I'd be marginally surprised if that hasn't been suggested somewhere actually.
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    So the weather and years of failing to maintain the roads had nothing to do with it.

Congratulations to England on getting knocked out of the World Cup so early.

It proves the team is really improving and just a couple of banknotes away from being champions of the universe.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    The only thing worse then relentless spinning is bad spinning. The Tories haven't grasped the art - they pirouette like a London bus.