Ruth Ellis

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching Executions on ITV and I am aghast at the hanging of Ruth Ellis by Pierrepoint, I was also taken aback that the judge who gave the decision was Sir Cecil Havers , grandfather of Nigeland how his grandfather tried to get a reprieve but to no avail.It was then his son who prosecuted the Birmingham six and Guildford 4 and questioned why they were not done for treason and the death penalty,

In a 2010 television interview Mr Justice Havers’s grandson, actor Nigel Havers, said his grandfather had written to the Home Secretary Gwilym Lloyd George recommending a reprieve as he regarded it as a crime passion, but received a curt refusal, which was still held by the family.

It is obvious that the guilt all round the Judiciary was papable

In 1969 Ellis’s mother, Berta Neilson, was found unconscious in a gas-filled room in her flat in Hemel Hempstead. She never fully recovered and did not speak coherently again. Ellis's husband, George Ellis, descended into alcoholism and hanged himself in 1958. Her son, Andy, who was 10 at the time of his mother's hanging, committed suicide in a bedsit in 1982, shortly after desecrating his mother's grave. The trial judge, Sir Cecil Havers, had sent money every year for Andy's upkeep, and Christmas Humphreys, the prosecution counsel at Ellis's trial, paid for his funeral.[2] Ellis's daughter, Georgina, who was three when her mother was executed, was adopted when her father hanged himself three years later. She died of cancer aged 50.

Simply awful

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a total ****up of a situation.

Was this from the prog on ITV tonight? I was thinking about watching it but the synopsis made it sound celeb based. Who Do You Think Your Executed Family Members Were?
  • jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She still shot him dead though and also had a lover herself.

I too watched the programme and the only one who should have got justice was Timothy Evans as he was totally innocent of any crime,.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

I too watched the programme and the only one who should have got justice was Timothy Evans as he was totally innocent of any crime,.

Reprieve was very common at the time however - about half of people sentenced to hang were reprieved... and there was huge controversy at the time. My parents signed the petition to have her sentence converted to life imprisonment. I never understood the reasoning of the then Home Secretary to be honest.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    snip>>
    Simply awful

Awful yes, but those were the times and the Judge gave the only sentence he was allowed

The Jury had their job made very easy for them by her confession and in court when she said "It's obvious when I shot him I intended to kill him"

Several medical and psychiatric examinations found no evidence of mental health issues or insanity , so again the Jury was not given anything other than everything needed for a guilty verdict for which Death was mandatory. And for that you cannot blame the Judge who recommended in his report a reprieve .

Ellis herself said she did not want a reprieve though it would appear it was an act brought on by passion and fury . But then a crime of passion would normally be instantaneous on the spot, she got a gun, and then went to find him, it could be argued it was premeditated as opposed to a crime of passion. Sadly we will never know.

So yes awful but as I said those were the times and thankfully we no longer have the death penalty as much as we may often wish people dead for some hideous crimes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For someone into crime stuff, I don't know an awful lot about her case. Looks like it's well worth reading into.

Anyone with suggestions for reading would be good :)
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    For someone into crime stuff, I don't know an awful lot about her case. Looks like it's well worth reading into.

There are a couple of links here

http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/ruth.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ellis
  • QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all had to be done very quickly as they were only allowed three Sundays before the execution had to happen. If they found new evidence to put before the court then they may have got longer. It was done with such speed so that the criminal was not kept waiting to long.

In Japan they never tell anyone when they are going to be executed. So everyday could be your last. I suppose that is also a punishment of sorts. Bit barbaric though.

I always thought that if we carried on and hung a few more then we may deter some of the criminal element. But if you look at America it doesn't seem to make much difference. They know if they get caught they could face execution so you might as well take a few more with you as well as they can only hang you once.

And the answer is :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here you go.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ruth-Ellis-Case-Diminished-Responsibility/dp/0140129022/ref=pd_sim_b_2/279-5059384-2242068?ie=UTF8&refRID=0MDG5Y1382W25N133EZV
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only reason Ruth Ellis got so much sympathy is because she was a woman. If it had been a Roger Ellis shooting his lover dead, even though he'd already got another lover, he too would have been hanged in 1955, and we'd have heard no more about it, just as we've heard nothing of so many of the other murderers who were hanged before the death sentence was abolished.

I see no miscarriage of justice in this case, although I do feel sorry for her desperately unfortunate family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't multi quote on phone, but thanks skp and woodbush for the bedtime reading :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Likewise Derek Bentley who was hung in 1953 after shouting out to 16 year old Christopher Craig "Let him have it Chris" Craig then shot a police constable dead and was imprisoned for life

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »

That'll be a good one to watch later :)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    Likewise Derek Bentley who was hung in 1953 after shouting out to 16 year old Christopher Craig "Let him have it Chris" Craig then shot a police constable dead and was imprisoned for life

Yep, that was possibly the most controversial hanging ever. Even by the harsh public standards of the early 1950's, it was widely considered very unjust.
    That'll be a good one to watch later :)

Short, but interesting summary by the commentator.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, that was possibly the most controversial hanging ever. Even by the harsh public standards of the early 1950's, it was widely considered very unjust.

Short, but interesting summary by the commentator.

I think with anything, seeing something from the time gives a much better feel and overall impression.

I've just been wondering how or why I've let this case totally pass me by.

The Bentley case is so sad, it's a really depressing event.
  • D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes she was the last woman hanged in Britain. I learnt about her at college.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »

He was pardoned, to late though. It's one of the reasons I am against the death penalty.

I think Chris did 10 years. Derek was in custody at the time, how could be guilty of murder:confused:
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member

It is notable, however, that although Timothy Evans was given a posthumous pardon in 1966 (that is, his execution is now recognised as being unjustified), his convictions were never formally quashed and in November 2004, an appeal by Evans' half sister, Mary Westlake, to have the convictions quashed was rejected.

She argued that although the Brabin Report had exonerated Evans of the murder of his wife and child, it had not formally declared him innocent. The Court of Appeal recognised this distinction but ruled out a judicial review on the grounds of cost.

Timothy Evans is still, formally, a convicted murderer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    It is notable, however, that although Timothy Evans was given a posthumous pardon in 1966 (that is, his execution is now recognised as being unjustified), his convictions were never formally quashed and in November 2004, an appeal by Evans' half sister, Mary Westlake, to have the convictions quashed was rejected.

She argued that although the Brabin Report had exonerated Evans of the murder of his wife and child, it had not formally declared him innocent. The Court of Appeal recognised this distinction but ruled out a judicial review on the grounds of cost.

Timothy Evans is still, formally, a convicted murderer.

Shocking even though Cristie admitted he murdered her.
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    The only reason Ruth Ellis got so much sympathy is because she was a woman. If it had been a Roger Ellis shooting his lover dead, even though he'd already got another lover, he too would have been hanged in 1955, and we'd have heard no more about it, just as we've heard nothing of so many of the other murderers who were hanged before the death sentence was abolished.

I see no miscarriage of justice in this case, although I do feel sorry for her desperately unfortunate family.

Whilst, technically at least, you're correct that there was no miscarriage of justice in this instance, by 1955 the movement to abolish the death penalty was gathering momentum.

It is worth noting that between 1926 and 1954 (in Ellis' lifetime) 677 men and 60 women were sentenced to death in Britain, but only 375 men and 7 women had actually been hanged. Reprieve was far more commonplace than is generally recognised.

Why was Ellis not reprieved..? Again, I must say I agree that the execution was carried out according to lawful procedure but there were strong compassionate grounds for a reprieve and, given the growing public concern about the death penalty, particularly in the wake of the Timothy Evans hanging, the Establishment might have done well to be less obviously determined in their desire to see the woman die.

"The Law Must Take It's Course" was a common phrase in use at the time of such appeals and would often be written on the files of petitions for reprieve.

This comes across as officious, emotionless and without any sort of compassion. A lot of the movement to abolish capital punishment revolved around the sheer inhumanity of the death penalty. At the time of the Ellis hanging, one newspaper columnist wrote:

"The one thing that brings stature and dignity to mankind and raises us above the beasts will have been denied her – pity and the hope of ultimate redemption."

Another referred to "the medieval savagery of the law".

These things struck a chord in the consciousness of a public that had seen such terrible atrocities committed in Hitler's concentration camps. We were a generation that wanted to be better..... nobler.... more just..... more humane and civilised. How could we be those things if we still allowed men and women to die by the rope in the name of the law..?

Today's generation doesn't understand how things were in the 1950's. You don't know how we felt at that time.

The execution of Ruth Ellis was lawful, but many believed unnecessary. It made nothing better and it didn't bring David Blakely back. And it lessened us as a people.

From that moment on, the abolition of the death penalty was not only likely, it was inevitable.
  • anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the programme and one thing I'm glad it focused on was the family of those executed. It's something no-one (even abolitionists in the US) tends to forget. Everyone has sympathy for the victim's family but the prisoner's family (even when they are guilty) tend to be tarred with the same brush as the murderer.
  • daver34daver34 Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    Whilst, technically at least, you're correct that there was no miscarriage of justice in this instance, by 1955 the movement to abolish the death penalty was gathering momentum.

It is worth noting that between 1926 and 1954 (in Ellis' lifetime) 677 men and 60 women were sentenced to death in Britain, but only 375 men and 7 women had actually been hanged. Reprieve was far more commonplace than is generally recognised.

How many of those hanged were during WW2?.

Think i found total executions during WW2 at 121.
    http://www.britishexecutions.co.uk/chronology.php?time=1407908166
  • SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,871
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it was an interesting programme. Might have to search for it on catchup. My mother has always said we have a family connection to Pierrepoint, can't remember offhand what, will have to ask her.
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    I watched the programme and one thing I'm glad it focused on was the family of those executed. It's something no-one (even abolitionists in the US) tends to forget. Everyone has sympathy for the victim's family but the prisoner's family (even when they are guilty) tend to be tarred with the same brush as the murderer.

Indeed. That's one of the problems with the death penalty, it creates another set of victims. Just because the spouse, patents, children are the family of someone being executed doesn't mean they'll be any less gutted than the family of someone who was murdered. The state is effectively punishing a group of totally innocent people. Kind of doubling the misery.

That's before you get into miscarriages of justice.
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    in addition to Ruth Ellis there was also considerable controversy regarding the case of Edith Thompson in 1923 who many considered was innocent of the murder of her husband who was stabbed to death by Edith Thompson's lover one dark night. She was convicted mainly or solely on the contents of a letter she had written to her lover months earlier. An eye witness account of her being dragged to the execution room, crying out and in a collapsed condition are horrific. The executioner later wrote he will remember to his dying days the final moments of her execution.