Sipgate's basic residential service to close from 31/12/2014

For anyone who has a Sipgate.co.uk this may interest you: http://www.ukvoipforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=956#p956

Looks like you have until 31/1/15 to port your number out or lose it! :cry:

Comments

• acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also this link: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/4375510-sipgate-closing-31122014.html

As of this morning it appears sipgate are now allowing registrations again - a change of heart maybe? I hope so!
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also this link: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/4375510-sipgate-closing-31122014.html

As of this morning it appears sipgate are now allowing registrations again - a change of heart maybe? I hope so!

Let’s hope so.

I got nothing on my two accounts and if I go into an Incognito window and hide my ID from Sipgate I’m still being offered a free number on signing up.

I’m sitting and waiting now and just hope this remains a rumour but I’ve had a quick look around and DrayTel looks the likely candidate to get my money should Sipgate regrettably fold its residential business.
  • AntboxAntbox Posts: 4,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am using a Sipgate residential account with London landline number so I am glad that they are not closing this service.

Recently I was looking round at possible alternatives though just out of curiosity. I came across http://tel2.co.uk who offer a zero monthly and pay-as-you-go package that includes one free 020 3 London geographical number. That would be OK for me if I needed to change. Unlike Sipgate they don't offer free numbers for other geographical locations though. The other problem of course is that if you start using a number and giving it to your contacts you don't want to find it gets withdrawn a few months down the line.

Voipfone give you a free 0560 number which is regarded as landline for most call charges but is not as attractive as a geo number. I think they offer those for a small monthly fee. Then there is freespeech.co.uk who give a free 0844 number which again is not ideal.

What everybody needs to be doing is telling all their friends to stop using PSTN numbers altogether anyway, especially the mobile numbers. They are such a rip-off when we all now have unlimited internet access so readily. We should all be using SIP addresses as we do with email addresses. It is free audio and video calling to anyone on an open protocol.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Oscar_ wrote: »
    We should all be using SIP addresses as we do with email addresses. It is free audio and video calling to anyone on an open protocol.
    It's only free because it's a minority service subsidised by other users. If everyone dropped the PSTN service and went to VoIP (which is far less reliable anyway, not to mention the "999" service issues) companies would start charging for VoIP. At the end of the day it costs money to provide the service, so someone has to pay for it. That's undoubtedly why Sipgate are considering closing it. I use Sipgate occasionally, and pay nothing for it, so clearly somebody else is paying for my use. That's very nice of them, but I can hardly expect it to last forever :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, if you want a reliable VoIP service then it comes with a cost.

VoIP is never really truly free to offer, while VoIP to VoIP calls don't pass through a PSTN switch there are still costs involved - Hardware, bandwidth and electricity to name a few.

Those costs work out a lot cheaper that traditional PSTN's and as for 999? what issues? Most allow calls to be made to the 999 service now.

Power failure could prevent a call to 999 but then if your battery runs flat on your mobile? I don't know anyone who uses a corded phone any more - DECT all the way these days, again power failure = No 999 calls.

I'm glad sipgate have had a change of heart, if they can't sustain the service for free charge £1 a month for a UK number or something.
    Forum Member
    as for 999? what issues? Most allow calls to be made to the 999 service now.

Power failure could prevent a call to 999 but then if your battery runs flat on your mobile? I don't know anyone who uses a corded phone any more - DECT all the way these days, again power failure = No 999 calls.

Not so much that it won't work, but VoIP numbers can't give a location for the caller, so don't meet the official standards for emergency services. There's usually small print somewhere saying "you can call 999, but we won't guarantee it will work as you expect". If you have a London VoIP number which you use from, say, Glasgow, it can cause confusion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Not so much that it won't work, but VoIP numbers can't give a location for the caller, so don't meet the official standards for emergency services. There's usually small print somewhere saying "you can call 999, but we won't guarantee it will work as you expect". If you have a London VoIP number which you use from, say, Glasgow, it can cause confusion.

This is not so, you have to register a name and address against the phone number which is verified before any 999 cals can be made. (Your VoIP provider does this)

You dial 999 and the verified name and address pops up on the screen of the emergency dispatcher.

Any disclamier is mandatory as VoIP hardware can be disabled or simply turned off.

There are very strict guide lines any VoIP provider offering 999 access has to meet and abide by.
    Forum Member
    This is not so, you have to register a name and address against the phone number which is verified before any 999 cals can be made. (Your VoIP provider does this)

You dial 999 and the verified name and address pops up on the screen of the emergency dispatcher.

Any disclamier is mandatory as VoIP hardware can be disabled or simply turned off.

There are very strict guide lines any VoIP provider offering 999 access has to meet and abide by.
    True, but there's no requirement for you to actually be at that address. I've used a Sipgate phone with a N. Ireland number when I've been in California. If I'd dialled 911 from there the 'registered' address would have been useless. Even if I'd used it in London it wouldn't help. That can't happen with a fixed line, and even with a mobile they can usually be localised at least to a cell tower.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    True, but there's no requirement for you to actually be at that address. I've used a Sipgate phone with a N. Ireland number when I've been in California. If I'd dialled 911 from there the 'registered' address would have been useless. Even if I'd used it in London it wouldn't help. That can't happen with a fixed line, and even with a mobile they can usually be localised at least to a cell tower.

There is a requirement that the address registered is where the number is primary used. Terms & Conditions of any quality VoIP provider will state this - You can however physically use the number at another location to that which was registered initially. (This is part of the emergency access agreement)

A VoIP provider get's in serious trouble if the 999 system is abused or misused and they can have total access revoked to the 999 services. I would fancy my chances at giving a better location inside a business or residential address than on some b road out in the middle of nowhere. Access to a local cell tower is pretty useless in an emergency as in most cases the coverage can span for miles.

Credit and debit cards are also used to confirm both identity and address of individuals, police turn up on at the wrong address - well whoever has the number in their name as well as the VoIP provider get the backlash of that.

A VoIP provider can and will terminate your account in some cases too.

I have had 999 access revoked in one case when I used a VoIP account outside the UK, detected via the IP address. Once I was using it within the UK again I had to click the magic button to register for 999 access again. (although this does not appear to be standard practice)

As for using sipgate.co.uk and having 999 access, dialling 911 wouldn't work as you would need to dial 112 or 999 as your account is UK based. Even though your accessing your sipgate.co.uk account from within the states and via a broadband connection state side - your traffic is still going through the UK PSTN network. So any emergency calls pass th the UK emergency services. This is kind of taking the the thread off topic now so I shall bow out. :)
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mobile networks are fairly concerned about 999 on their femtocells / signal boxes, too, they all require you to tell them where the unit is being used and to update the address if it changes, I guess because 999 will locate the phones connected to the box as being at the registered address.

Not sure how it works with WiFi calling though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This came up on Twitter 4 hours ago but don’t panic they said it’s temporarily, I hope.

https://twitter.com/sgUK_Status/status/554664168033628160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    This came up on Twitter 4 hours ago but don’t panic they said it’s temporarily, I hope.

https://twitter.com/sgUK_Status/status/554664168033628160

Panic over, if ever there was one.:) Basic residential available again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea we know see post 4 lol

Or did they once again stop new registrations? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea we know see post 4 lol

Or did they once again stop new registrations? :o

No they were just suspended for a few hours, I assume a technical hitch but the fact they put it out on Twitter sort of gives me assurance they don’t intend to end Sipgate Residential anytime soon.

That said had I not read this thread in the first place I would not be any wiser anyways of any rumoured close down of the service.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The plot thickens as this statement has just appeared on their Twitter page..

“Registrations for sipgate basic are currently unavailable while we prepare our new residential service.”

Anyone know what their “new residential service” maybe?

http://twitter.com/sgUK_Status/status/561150758905999360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt they have even started overhauling sipgate basic, they intendid to close the service. As such they stopped new registrations and started informing some customers that the service would be closing.

Then they changed their minds and allowed new registrations again. Now they stop new registrations and say its because a new service is coming - maybe they intend on charging for the service instead of getting rid of it completely.

Either they will scrap it after all or they will start charging customers. Be interesting to see what the end result will be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sipgate now have a countdown counter for when we will see the new residential scheme.

31 days and 18 hours as of now,

https://secure.sipgate.co.uk/user/preregister/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's up and running again but nothing appears to have changed. It's the same as before! :/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does seem like its back to the old norm but the countdown clock still has a day to go so I wonder what’s going on there.