Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• saint paulsaint paul Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    When there's another quiz or contest on talksport who punches the air with delight?
    Jeez if it wasn't bad enough with the adverts, news, weather and traffic reports we get about 20 mins of actual sports news.
    Ask Brazil? What the hell is that meant to be?
    Send in texts of a football players that sound like types of food?
    Very very poor :(
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saint paul wrote: »
    When there's another quiz or contest on talksport who punches the air with delight?
    Jeez if it wasn't bad enough with the adverts, news, weather and traffic reports we get about 20 mins of actual sports news.
    Ask Brazil? What the hell is that meant to be?
    Send in texts of a football players that sound like types of food?
    Very very poor :(

I don't know is the short answer (probably just a little end of the week fun?) but that segment is the only time I really like listening to Big Al, who is happy to be the fall guy on this occasion. Where does his sense of humour go for the rest of the week?
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,585
    Forum Member
    Got to love TS. Top story on the 9.30 news is about a possible merger of two bookmaking firms. Talksport keeping us up to date with the really important current events.
  • The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreadful station with the exception of Paul Hawksbee and Danny Baker. I started listening to it about 15 years ago and used to perversely enjoy the car crash nature of it all, plus the unprofessionalism of the likes of Parry and Brazil but over the years the output and never ending ads and promos started to grate more and more.

I occasionally tune in to catch the football scores but that is about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful station with the exception of Paul Hawksbee and Danny Baker. I started listening to it about 15 years ago and used to perversely enjoy the car crash nature of it all, plus the unprofessionalism of the likes of Parry and Brazil but over the years the output and never ending ads and promos started to grate more and more.

I occasionally tune in to catch the football scores but that is about it.

Do you mean Danny Kelly? I would LOVE for Danny Baker to be a part of TS but Danny B knows better than to get involved with that station... :D
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find Delaney inoffensive (the same with Bobby Gould) and comes over as a real football fan, unlike Goldstein who l told parks his bandwagon outside Talksport Towers every day! I much rather listen to a combination of Hawksbee/Delaney than Goldstein/Jacobs.

So, his only redeeming features is that he's inoffensive and that he likes football? Fair enough, each to their own. I'm as big a talkSPORT listener as you get but he makes me turn off - I find his humour patronising and really cannot warm to him. Along with Barry Glendenning and the Durham & Gough pairing, he's one of the few people on talkSPORT that drive me towards the off switch.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Do you mean Danny Kelly? I would LOVE for Danny Baker to be a part of TS but Danny B knows better than to get involved with that station... :D

I'm afraid as much as I like Danny Baker as a broadcaster, he's just not right for Talksport, or indeed Radio5, other than knockabout quizzes, as he seems to hate modern football, apart from the World Cup.

Now a bit of cynicism amongst the cheerleading may be fine, but in the end where do you fit it in, when each show hes match previews and reviews, if he just says it's all rubbish.

TBF, I don't think he really wants to do it either, he'd love anther free-flowing type show where he can play music and talk about whatever he wants, but just football, I'm really not sure.
  • The BackbencherThe Backbencher Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oops, yes, meant to type 'Danny Kelly.' :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid as much as I like Danny Baker as a broadcaster, he's just not right for Talksport, or indeed Radio5, other than knockabout quizzes, as he seems to hate modern football, apart from the World Cup.

Now a bit of cynicism amongst the cheerleading may be fine, but in the end where do you fit it in, when each show hes match previews and reviews, if he just says it's all rubbish.

TBF, I don't think he really wants to do it either, he'd love anther free-flowing type show where he can play music and talk about whatever he wants, but just football, I'm really not sure.

I do agree with everything you say, I was just saying I would like to hear Danny B on TS, but it's not gonna happen, he wouldn't want them and they probably don't want him. He just makes me smile, he can ramble on and on about practically nothing and make it interesting. I enjoyed listening to him on Talk Radio, he always said his shows were intended to be for football fans, they were not about football itself.
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you are right - Danny Baker doesn't seem to have a great interest in or even knowledge of modern day football, with most of his football fandom seeming to be in relation to the matchday experience in days of yore or funny little stories related to that. Which is fine and fitted in well with his BT Sport show and his Radio 5 Live Saturday morning show (which I've not listened to in a while), but it's a struggle to see where that would fit in on today's talkSPORT, where rolling sports news is pretty much a constant - even on shows like H&J, where in the past they had a lot more freedom to go off on tangents and only the biggest of sports news stories would override their normal fun and games. That's not a knock on him, but at the moment I think he'd sound like a square peg in a round hole on talkSPORT. If UTV Radio were able to get him on board, I think they'd be better served giving him a high-profile gig on the new talkRADIO station, possibly with Danny Kelly.

As for Kelly, he is a different animal, while you know he's right at home doing a fun show with Baker he's equally comfortable doing a serious sports discussion programme and so is far more suitable for what talkSPORT has become in 2015.

Speaking of DK, I caught up with the edition of My Sporting Life that he did with Glenn McCrory a few weeks back yesterday - it's a really good listen, well worth catching before it disappears from Listen Again.
    Forum Member
    The spread of *football club* disease is fast becoming an epidemic at TALKSPORT towers. For those not aware of this infectious affliction it manifests itself whenever a presenter talks about any team you care to mention. The ever diligent TS presenter will add the words *football club* every time they mention a team by name. Am not sure how many listeners need telling time after time that Everton or Arsenal or Manchester United are football clubs.
    It sounds so pretentious and pathetic. No doubt the dimwit presenters think that the continual use of the phrase adds a certain gravitas and importance to whatever they are saying but IMHO it makes them sound pompous and stupid and twattish.
    Rant over
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    The spread of *football club* disease is fast becoming an epidemic at TALKSPORT towers. For those not aware of this infectious affliction it manifests itself whenever a presenter talks about any team you care to mention. The ever diligent TS presenter will add the words *football club* every time they mention a team by name. Am not sure how many listeners need telling time after time that Everton or Arsenal or Manchester United are football clubs.
    It sounds so pretentious and pathetic. No doubt the dimwit presenters think that the continual use of the phrase adds a certain gravitas and importance to whatever they are saying but IMHO it makes them sound pompous and stupid and twattish.
    Rant over

I've noticed that as something irksome for some time but mainly from players and ex-players..........and particularly managers !

The other one is the pronunciation of 'footballers'

The 'pros' pronounce it as phht-bullers and the media people who want to be 'in' try and pronounce it the same !
    Forum Member
    Joey Barton presenting with Durham today. What are the chances of JB losing the plot and lumping Adrian? Might be worth a listen as young Joseph has a bit more about him than the average footballer.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The odious Barry Flatman coming up to talk tennis on Talksport, my guess is it'll be 95% Murray, 4% rest of the mens field, then, if they get round to it maybe a brief 1% on Serena William's possibl making of history. Go on prove me wrong.
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Rant over

I absolutely hate this idiocy. Even people who have more than 2 brain cells to rub together like the two Graham's, Courtney and Beecroft keep saying "at the football club).
    Forum Member
    One bonus from today's results is that moron Quinn will have a horrible weekend, am not normally a spiteful person but Quinn brings out the worst in me
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that Matterface and Quinn are in for Colin Murray this week

Urgh. That's me avoiding the station completely between 10 and 1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that Matterface and Quinn are in for Colin Murray this week

Urgh. That's me avoiding the station completely between 10 and 1

It's not great is it? Anything with Quinn in is a no-no for me. Still it could be worse, there are three people presenting on the 10 to 1 slot, imagine if it were Quinn, Gough and Cork:o I think we're safe here though, TS don't have a studio large enough to contain the egos of those three.:D
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not great is it? Anything with Quinn in is a no-no for me. Still it could be worse, there are three people presenting on the 10 to 1 slot, imagine if it were Quinn, Gough and Cork:o I think we're safe here though, TS don't have a studio large enough to contain the egos of those three.:D

I'd love to see how many other people are not going to bother listening this week. I'd say that it will be a fair few people. I can't understand why TS keep employing Quinn. He must be one of the most odious individuals to have ever presented on TS
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see how many other people are not going to bother listening this week. I'd say that it will be a fair few people. I can't understand why TS keep employing Quinn. He must be one of the most odious individuals to have ever presented on TS

I find myself over at LBC more and more. Only catch TS in the morning if I have to go see the plebs in the workshop who have TS on all the time.
  • Spanish JohnnySpanish Johnny Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Matterface and Quinn were much better than that High pitched Tosser Murray!..As were Kelly and Quinn in the summer...Murray is an annoying prick.
  • esteveesteve Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Someone wake me up when the transfer window ends
    Dull dull radio
    I'm going to turn off H and J for the first time ever
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats to Tony Incenzo on visiting his 2,000th ground yesterday

That is some feat
  • Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    esteve wrote: »
    Someone wake me up when the transfer window ends
    Dull dull radio
    I'm going to turn off H and J for the first time ever

I also switched off today. It was truly boring radio. Even the hairy bikers couldn't get me interested. I got the impression tha H&J themselves thought it dull.
    Forum Member
    Mallory99 wrote: »
    I also switched off today. It was truly boring radio. Even the hairy bikers couldn't get me interested. I got the impression tha H&J themselves thought it dull.

Tedious durge it was.
This discussion has been closed.