Nurse Jackie

13»

Comments

• postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only 2 more episodes before the end of this marvellous programme. Jackie, I shall miss you :(
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the finale wrapped things up nicely, especially with the albeit short return of O'Hara, but I warn you, it'll make you cry
  • LMLM Posts: 63,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very mixed on the finale

I loved ambigious the final scene was but overall, it felt very rushed. It reminded me as one of the finales of when a show is cancelled late in production and they quickly put together a finale in just a matter of weeks. This is what that felt like. But they knew before this was the final season well in advance. I didn't feel totally satisfied and I have been a loyal viewer for seven years.
  • rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    Very mixed on the finale

I loved ambigious the final scene was but overall, it felt very rushed. It reminded me as one of the finales of when a show is cancelled late in production and they quickly put together a finale in just a matter of weeks. This is what that felt like. But they knew before this was the final season well in advance. I didn't feel totally satisfied and I have been a loyal viewer for seven years.

It was very ambiguous but I liked the way the handled it. But I do agree it seemed rushed. I wish they would have made the episode an hour long.
    I think Jackie ended up dying at the end. My reason for saying this is that as the screen went to black everyone was just watching her and that they weren't actually doing anything to try to save her. I realize they made a mention of the hospital being out of drugs but there were several paramedics at that party which carry NARCAN as a part of their medical kit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rkolsen wrote: »
    It was very ambiguous but I liked the way the handled it. But I do agree it seemed rushed. I wish they would have made the episode an hour long.
    I think Jackie ended up dying at the end. My reason for saying this is that as the screen went to black everyone was just watching her and that they weren't actually doing anything to try to save her. I realize they made a mention of the hospital being out of drugs but there were several paramedics at that party which carry NARCAN as a part of their medical kit.
    I personally think she lived and Jackie would of likely had to rebuild her life all again as she did throughout season 7

The producers recently announced that Jackie was meant to die in a big fire and her last act would be saving a drug addict. But they changed their mind mid way through shooting the season.
  • primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    Well the finale wrapped things up nicely, especially with the albeit short return of O'Hara, but I warn you, it'll make you cry

I didn't cry.

I cheered.

This show held SUCH promise in the beginning and went SO far into the toilet in the past few seasons it was embarrassing for the good actors involved.

I felt so badly for Merritt Wever.

Good riddance, Nurse Jackie.
  • hendollhendoll Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    Surprised this is the only thread on such a great show. It seems to have only appealed to a smallish audience. I loved it, despite some weak moments. I disagree that the finale seemed rushed.
    The whole last series was about winding things down, Coop leaving, the hospital closing, Jackie finally getting with Eddie, Zoe starting to move on etc. etc.
    I felt incredibly sad in the final episode. Anyone who has ever been through it, or been close to someone with an addiction, will recognise how realistic this portrayal has been. Jackie died, I think. Namaste.
    Crap, I just posted and realised maybe I should put it in spoilers.
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Truth be told in the last few seasons there had only been flashes of the drama from the early seasons.
    I think Jackie died at the end. She had history of recklessly taking drugs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting Nurse Jackie ended the way it did becasue Edie falco's other show ended in an ambigious way and left it up the viewers on what happened to Tony
  • Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting Nurse Jackie ended the way it did becasue Edie falco's other show ended in an ambigious way and left it up the viewers on what happened to Tony

The ambiguity allows it to be revived in years to come. Nurse Jackie snaffling pills in her rest home.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like they are going to start showing Nurse Jackie on CBS Drama when the channel starts on Freeview on the 1st September! I don't know if it's just the first two seasons though as I think Sky have the rights to the later ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find with CBS drama/cbs action that they air a few seasons, see how well it does and add more as the months go on. So i wouldn't expect them to air all seven seasons just yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking though the schedule on Digiguide and it seems that they are showing season 3 at least, which is good news as I've never seen it!
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been recording this but it seems to have jumped back to an earlier season. The last one I watched, they'd stopped her from administering meds because of her addiction to painkillers. In the one shown last night she looks years younger and is having an affair with the pharmacist who is also supplying her. ?? Anyone know what's going on with this show?
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Watching season 6 at Sky Atlantic pace. Coop singing The Candyman at the newsagents memorial was hilarious. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been recording this but it seems to have jumped back to an earlier season. The last one I watched, they'd stopped her from administering meds because of her addiction to painkillers. In the one shown last night she looks years younger and is having an affair with the pharmacist who is also supplying her. ?? Anyone know what's going on with this show?

I have a feeling that CBS only have the rights to the first three seasons, so they they have now gone back to the first season.
  • tvfannytvfanny Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Radio Times the last 2 episodes of Series 6 was shown on Sky Atlantic last night - and Oh Wow BTW - and - yay - the first 2 episodes of Series 7 are on next Wednesday.
  • andytaylor47andytaylor47 Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I've caught up with Nurse Jackie. I'd previously watched up to the end of season five and tried to watch season six, but gave up. However I saw it on Netflix, so I started from the beginning and gave it another whirl.

I've had mixed feelings with the show since O'Hara left. She was such an awesome character, and really held Jackie accountable whilst she was around. The doctors who replaced her were dull characters, and then season five really lost any sense of urgency that the earlier years had.

I still feel that season four would have been a better final year - it had it all for me. Jackie had struggled into sobriety, but she lost so much along the way. Her family life was in tatters, and then of course Eddie and Gloria lost their jobs because of their relationships with her. Her friend Charlie died when O'Hara's baby was born left us with this great bittersweet moment at the end, where she tells O'Hara, and the viewers, that she made it. I've seen the series 3 or 4 times and I still well up.

Well, they carried on with it.

Whist season five was average, season six started in the same way, but at least built to an exciting string of episodes to conclude with. Now there was good drama with Jackie cheating with her drug dealer, and of course tricking her sponsor into going into rehab without her. I just felt that some of these narrative notes had been touched on before, with Jackie hiding her habit again and doing anything to keep it hidden.

The final season started off well - no one trusts Jackie anymore. Hard to take at first, but totally realistic with someone like her. I think the best thing this season did was the growth of Zoey as a character. It was wonderful to see her need to move on from Jackie in the finale. I also think the drama between Jackie and Gloria was very well played.

I do think that the season was paced a little strangely. Whilst the show ending also nicely symbolised with All Saints closing, I thought Coop leaving halfway through the year was a bit off. Why not have him get his new job when All Saints is closing, like everyone else? O'Hara being back was great to see, but maybe a double length finale would have helped to have developed her role a bit more? The guy with the gun was all very random too, I didn't feel any tension there. I also enjoyed the new doctor, but again he was only there after Coop left.

The ambiguous ending didn't bother me, and I think Jackie died at the end. I think her friends leaving her was too much, and she wanted one last high before she died. I think it was an appropriate ending for the show from seasons 5-7, with a harsher, more realistic finality. I just preferred the more optimistic season four.