Options

True Detective Season 2, Sky Atlantic 22 June

dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
Forum Member
I'm suprised there's not a thread on this yet (apologies if there is but I couldn't find it) but TD2 is starting in what I'm assuming is the Game of Thrones slot a week on Monday week.

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/true-detective/

Apparently simulcast with the US for a 2am airing.

Staring Colin Farrel, Taylor Kitsch, Rachel McAdams and Vinice Vaughan.

If season 1 is anything to go by should be cracking.

Comments

• Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    I'm suprised there's not a thread on this yet (apologies if there is but I couldn't find it) but TD2 is starting in what I'm assuming is the Game of Thrones slot a week on Monday week.

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/true-detective/

Apparently simulcast with the US for a 2am airing.

Staring Colin Farrel, Taylor Kitsch, Rachel McAdams and Vinice Vaughan.

If season 1 is anything to go by should be cracking.

I just hope they keep their nerve this time and don't cop out with a feelgood bog standard ending.

For the first six of its eight episodes TD 1 was streets ahead of almost everything I have seen on TV. Then suddenly eps 7 and 8 were a total gear change and the series turned into the kind of crap purveyed by the mainstream channels. To this day I am baffled as to why. It even occurred to me that the producers lost their nerve and rewrote the ending. Until then, what with member
    s of the governors family possibly being involved, the freaky God squad chap and that team coming down from up high to 'take over the invstigation' it seemed there would be a denouement ending right at the top.

But all we got was the usual plastic slick wrapping up of clues and the pukey ending in the hospital car park. Christ was I disappointed.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The reviews are out already. Critics got to see the first 3 episodes of the show and well lets just say they haven't been kind.

To be honest nothing is going to beat season 1, ever. So i think they should forget ever having seen that because all they're doing is comparing it to season 1 and it's not really fair to be honest.

I'm going to give this a shot. Rusty and Marty, who? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My biggest concern is that it will focus too heavily on the lead characters back story and their relationships with each other.

Although that was the essence of season 1, they balanced the police procedural element really well but it's a hard line to tread and getting it wrong is easy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that it will focus too heavily on the lead characters back story and their relationships with each other.

Although that was the essence of season 1, they balanced the police procedural element really well but it's a hard line to tread and getting it wrong is easy.

There's 4 lead characters this season though. I think it's going to be different this time around.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The reviews are out already. Critics got to see the first 3 episodes of the show and well lets just say they haven't been kind.

To be honest nothing is going to beat season 1, ever. So i think they should forget ever having seen that because all they're doing is comparing it to season 1 and it's not really fair to be honest.

I'm going to give this a shot. Rusty and Marty, who? :D

The ending to series 1 was really weak.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dissagree with those who thought the first series ending was weak, but we all have our opinions. I thought it was excellent from start to finish.

Anyway, seeing as it's only 8 episodes I'm going to record the lot and then watch it over 2/3 nights. That's how I watched season 1, and enjoyed it all the better for it. I hope season 2 is good but I'm not expecting it to be as great as 1. That's not being negative, I just don't want to set myself up for a fall.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that it's being aired only a day after here.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen season 1, do you need to have seen it in order to follow season 2, as I think I read it's a totally new story?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    I haven't seen season 1, do you need to have seen it in order to follow season 2, as I think I read it's a totally new story?

No. It's a brand new story with a whole new set of characters.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    The title is more of a container. Just like Criminal Justice in the UK where the two series were totally independent of each other.

True Detective S1 is available in Sky On Demand Box Sets at the moment. Although it is quite a slow burner it's only 8 episodes if you wanted to zip through it.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might give it a go just for Colin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starts tonight at 2am with a live simulcast or watch it tomorrow night at 9pm.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    My main problem with series/season 2 is Vince Vaughan - I'm not a fan
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »

He was great.

Everything was great again, I was so worried but it was brilliant. Colin Farrell's character has been written amazingly well.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »

I could have said the same about Matthew McConaughey for season 1 though
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    I could have said the same about Matthew McConaughey for season 1 though

Ditto... never been a big fan but he was brilliant in TD.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of Vaughn, Farrell or McAdams :p but will give it a go. I enjoyed the last series apart from the disappointing ending.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished the first episode. I really enjoyed it - it's got that constant underlying factor that something huge is going to happen.

It's on Sky Go already, but I'll put what I think in spoilers as it's not on TV until later
    Any idea why Paul has all those scars on him? What do we think?

For me, all four main actors are doing very well. Vince is playing against type and doing a good job so far. Colin had some moments where I was like :eek: . Rachel is memorisingly cold and issue-led, and Taylor is intriguing because I think his character is going to be the one we are meant to really hate, but may end up feeling sympathy towards...but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    I don't think you'll be disappointed - he's brilliant in the first episode
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the reviews (aka what the critics thought on DS) it seems many of those werent impressed. But just having a flick read through this you guys seem impressed, which is good!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't wait to watch this tonight, I've been avoiding the thread in case of overnight spoilers but you guys are using spoiler tags with aplomb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    daclick wrote: »
    Looking at the reviews (aka what the critics thought on DS) it seems many of those werent impressed. But just having a flick read through this you guys seem impressed, which is good!

I'm not sure how much of the criticism is due to expectation from Season 1 though. Just going by the synopsis, you can't compare the two. There's double the amount of lead characters for starters.

Am I right in thinking that all critics have only seen the first 3 episodes? I also read somewhere that the 2nd and 3rd eps are better than the first....so surely it's going in the right direction for them anyway?
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Dad of the Year

Lasted 3 episodes with TD1 - think I'll last longer with TD2.

CHiPs ths isn't.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Dad of the Year

Lasted 3 episodes with TD1 - think I'll last longer with TD2.

CHiPs ths isn't.:cool:
    He's definitely dad of the year!! Although the way he went about it was not good!! I wonder if we'll see his ex-wife? I hope we do.
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely it's going to turn out that Colin Farrells son isn't actually his son... The first thing I thought when I saw them on screen was 'how is he supposed to be related to Colin Farrell?' way before it came up that he might not be his son!!

I didn't actually enjoy the first season of this & gave up after a few episodes but I enjoyed what I saw so far & think I'll be sticking with this season! Although I'd say I'm intrigued by the characters & what their back stories are more than the murder!