Standard Definition broadcasts on LCD HDTVs

I am about to buy an HD TV ready for my Sky HD install on May 22nd, the more I read though the more I am concerned about the picture quality I can expect on all the non-HD broadcasts. I enjoy paramount, UK gold and Channel 4 amongst others and want to make sure that I continue to enjoy these alongside the new HD channels

Is there a particular model or maybe some feature (I read somewhere about a ‘blur’ setting to help smooth out the picture on the poorer quality SD channels) that I should look for? I was initially considering a Samsung LCD but following some of the comments I have read on this subject I was thinking of going for a Toshiba or possibly one of the cheaper Sony Bravias instead

Any advice/personal experiences gratefully received

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Modern LCD's have come a long way over the last 18 months, response times which were the main cause of smearing are in the single figures were as before 16-24ms was the norm.
    As you may have seen compression on digital channels can vary and that effects the resulting picture. A CRT will hide a lot of these flaws but a LCD or any HD panel demands better source material, they will show up problems with SD channels more so than CRT.

AVForums is the best place to get real world opinions and reviews on LCD's and other displays:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Personally I am very pleased with the performance of my new Toshiba 37wlt66. Admittedly, the quality of the picture improves with the quality of the source but then the same can be said for CRT.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I agree with Jarrk, SD generally looks very good on CRT, but some LCDs can be pretty bad with SD material. Make sure that you are able to demo broadcast SD material on any LCD that you are thinking of buying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies, I will go and see some in action this weekend.

I was hoping that by spending a little more I may get a better looking SD picture, but I guess that the higher resolutions found on the newer LCDs will inevitably make the lesser quality channels look poor whether it is one of the cheaper models or something like a Panasonic/Sony