New Doctor Who Fan (Part Davison)

Comments

• Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    oh lovely. I was just about to go to bed but I'll hang on a few minutes now...;)

Just finished - it was the Whovian questions bit. Not sure if he will be on again.
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Arnia wrote: »
    Sorry, this always annoys me. Climate change will probably lead to the UK freezing in winter. Europe depends, for its temperate climate, on the North Atlantic Conveyor (a huge sea current that carries warm water from the tropics to Atlantic coast of Europe where it sinks and returns). That conveyor is driven by the heat, but functions because of thermohaline circulation (which is to do with the way salty water behaves as heat is added, as compared to how fresher water does.) Climate change causes icecaps to melt, and this reduces the salinity of the North Atlantic. This can stall the circulation that works the conveyor and so stop all that lovely heat reaching us. As you might imagine, as a maritime climate our country is very susceptible to this.

Really, although the above scenario is one of the more likely ones for this country, the one thing that you can be sure of is that climate change will lead to very odd, confused weather whilst the system settles down into a different configuration. This won't just be a little bit confused, it will be very confused and this confusion may be lethal for many of us (significant downward changes to carrying capacity). For all our arrogance and swagger, the amount of energy involved in the climate is beyond staggering and definitely beyond direct engineering.

hmmmmm*wonders*

how did you pick up my Weather Watch comments on a Doctor Who thread then?? :confused: :eek:
  • kw4121kw4121 Posts: 3,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to see thr Avatar on Boxing Day, Ken. But I'll be surprised if it tops the cream of Camerons early work like Aliens and Terminator. We shall see though.

thing is although its so different from anything he has ever done so you cant compare it to his work before specifiacly but you can say out of the work he has done this is his best and its true in my opinion!!

You will love it i hope and see what i mean by what i wrote in the review i posted !

but if you hate it then review it too would love to read your thought and any other whoonie that goes to see it as well !

Kenneth
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmmmmm*wonders*

how did you pick up my Weather Watch comments on a Doctor Who thread then?? :confused: :eek:

Arnia is correct there weedle. Climate change isn't about hot weather it's about more extreme weather. Exactly like what happened today.:)

and all Arnia's posts to date have been on this forum, so one presumes like many others who may not have posted here s/he was browsing the thread...;)
  • weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    Arnia wrote: »
    Sorry, this always annoys me. Climate change will probably lead to the UK freezing in winter. Europe depends, for its temperate climate, on the North Atlantic Conveyor (a huge sea current that carries warm water from the tropics to Atlantic coast of Europe where it sinks and returns). That conveyor is driven by the heat, but functions because of thermohaline circulation (which is to do with the way salty water behaves as heat is added, as compared to how fresher water does.) Climate change causes icecaps to melt, and this reduces the salinity of the North Atlantic. This can stall the circulation that works the conveyor and so stop all that lovely heat reaching us. As you might imagine, as a maritime climate our country is very susceptible to this.

Really, although the above scenario is one of the more likely ones for this country, the one thing that you can be sure of is that climate change will lead to very odd, confused weather whilst the system settles down into a different configuration. This won't just be a little bit confused, it will be very confused and this confusion may be lethal for many of us (significant downward changes to carrying capacity). For all our arrogance and swagger, the amount of energy involved in the climate is beyond staggering and definitely beyond direct engineering.
    Arnia is correct there weedle. Climate change isn't about hot weather it's about more extreme weather. Exactly like what happened today.:)

and all Arnia's posts to date have been on this forum, so one presumes like many others who may not have posted here she was browsing the thread...;)

I studied geology for an old fashioned 'O' level way back in the 70's ;)

Part of the syllabus concerned how "climate change" and 'weather patterns' effected the landscape of the world as we know it and love it - it is not a new thing!

I think the Ice Age was a freak weather phase as was the hot and sultry era, when our little part of Kent was warm enough for tropic sharks to live in :D

I was just being mildly ironic, as it was just only a week ago, when protestors were um..."protesting" about environmental issues etc and now, according to the gauge in my car, it was -4c out there tonight!! :eek:

also, I just didn't recognise Arnia's name as being one on this thread :o

*looks out of window again - plans to have a Frost Fair on the river at Dartford Bridge tomoz ;) *
  • SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, you know this thread is not the place I want to get into climate change discussions, but all I have to say is - how come it's happening on other planets? They don't have big cars and aerosol cans do they? They won't even get any on Mars for another 50 years! (see how I cleverly remained on topic there ;))

I have started watching Time and the Rani (another not so favourite one here too), but I just had to drop in and tell you what Mr SM said. I am most insulted and I'm sure you all will be too.

I was watching the telly as I said and Mr SM was reading in the chair and he said 'Why are you watching the same one over and over again?' :eek: Ok so maybe there are some similarities, but purlease? :rolleyes:

AND my son has just said he's looking forward to DW on Christmas day. I was so pleased until he said he was looking forward to laughing at me crying. :mad: :( I think I may have to send him out if that's his attitude!! Naughty step at the age of 30 - do you think it'll work? :p
  • trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    I have managed to get myself a day ahead of the regeneration re-watch by watching the movie this evening. 'The Twin Dilemma' and 'Time and the Rani' - can't say I especially like either of them, though I am quite fond of both wardrobe scenes! :D
    SheMoore19 wrote: »
    I have started watching Time and the Rani (another not so favourite one here too)[...]

And...? Come on, people, don't tease me. You know what I want to know - what did you think of 6 in "The Twin Dilemma"? Forget the story, and give me the Colin Baker juice. Erm, as it were.
    kw4121 wrote: »
    Hello Whoonies i am back from the Cinema after seeing avatar and its the most amazing film i have ever had the pleasure of experiencing and believe me it is an EXPERIENCE and one that everyone should see at the cinemas, i can say without a doubt that the effects are staggeringly so realistic that after 10 min's of the movie you don't even realize that the movie is all motion capture its exhilarating and moving and hear wrenching in equal measure!

and for all the bozo's dismissing it as Dances with Wolves in Space or Fern Gully in space well i am afraid there wayyy of base this is avatar plane and simple, i have read reviews of this film around the net and blogosphere saying the story is predictable and while that may have some basis it in no way detracts from the film in fact it adds to the emotional resonance and believe me i think that that's one of the crowning achievements of this film in that the emotions of Essentially CGI motion cap actors is so well erm captured and Zoe Saldina deserves a great deal of credit and once again proves what an amazing actress she is (if you still have doubts after Star Trek this film will banish them for good).

i also have to say that sigourney weaver is in her best role and at her acting best in this film its my fave performance from her in quite some time! in fact the last time i loved her so much was in Galaxy Quest.

anyway I could go on and on and you my fellow whoonies would be board (infact you probaly are now anyway after reading this review) So i will close by saying this !

GO SEE IT NOW!

Kenneth

I'll probably have to see if I can go see it on Wednesday or Thursday, then...
    Well, you know this thread is not the place I want to get into climate change discussions, but all I have to say is - how come it's happening on other planets? They don't have big cars and aerosol cans do they? They won't even get any on Mars for another 50 years! (see how I cleverly remained on topic there ;))

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11642-climate-myths-mars-and-pluto-are-warming-too.html

Climates change all the time. The issue with the current change on Earth is that according to the historical models, the planet should currently be cooling, and the only explanation for why this isn't happening that hasn't been ruled out is the vastly increased CO2 in the atmosphere, caused by human industrialisation. It's happening when it shouldn't be, and the only plausible explanation for why seems to be because it's us causing it. And the question to ask with regards to other planets also seeming to be undergoing warming (although the data to support this is far from conclusive) and theorising some outside cause, is why is it only 2 planets and 1 dwarf planet out of the 8 planets and 3 dwarf planets in the solar system that this (as yet unspecified and undetected) outside cause is affecting?
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    And...? Come on, people, don't tease me. You know what I want to know - what did you think of 6 in "The Twin Dilemma"? Forget the story, and give me the Colin Baker juice. Erm, as it were.

I did - somewhere... I think...

*goes off to find it*
    Forum Member
    Seconded!

I have just watched the first episode of The Twin Dilemma for the first time in years and remember how unhappy I was at the time - Five gone and Six being very scary! With distance (and no longer being 10!) I can see it differently now, what they were trying to do with Six at the start. Also, because I am really enjoying Six's audios, I am perhaps looking at him in a different light. I did like Six well enough as they got into the stories, but at this point, I really didn't first time round.

I can't say I am keen on the twins, though, but still three episodes to go...

There we are - I knew I mentioned it somewhere. Not in depth, admittedly...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Changes in climate over a very long and period are normal and occur very slowly, to such an extent they are not even noticeable to the untrained eye. However what is happening here now is NOT natural, it is man made and artificial, and had happened at such a rapid rate as to have devastating impacts on some parts of the world in just a few short years. The amount of scientific evidence that establishes this is huge.

anyway, as you say not really a topic for this thread, so best to leave it there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also, I just didn't recognise Arnia's name as being one on this thread :o

s/he wasn't. I said that her posts had been on this forum.:)

I only commented because the way you phrased what you wrote in a way implied that she didn't have the right to comment on your post. I'm sure that isn't what you meant, but it sort of came across that way....I was just pointing out that lots of people that don't post on this thread do lurk here and read what we post and are entitled to comment whenever they want to really!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently Noel Clarke said on twitter he wouldn't considering being in TW4. Thats good as a) I hate the idea of Micky being in TW and b) because the ship has surely well and truly sailed on that idea when he didn't appear in CoE?

Off to do battle with the weather now, yuck!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,666
    Forum Member
    Three days ! Three days !
    Three days, it's just 1+1+1, or 3, or III, or three sleeps or three little pinkies ! Three days it's nothing at all !
    *sighs with satisfaction*
  • WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Solamenn wrote: »
    Three days ! Three days !
    Three days, it's just 1+1+1, or 3, or III, or three sleeps or three little pinkies ! Three days it's nothing at all !
    *sighs with satisfaction*

Completely misread that as ponies :D

I wonder if THIS will help. Obviously later incarnations made do with one hand :D
    Forum Member
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    Did anyone watch Cbeebies bedtime stories with DT.

It was wonderful. Wish he'd read me a story before every bedtime. Loved all the voices, and now I feel all warm and cozy inside.

Awww... I haven't watched it, but I think I will soon.
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Oh....I have no excuse to get them....hang on...my niece is a good excuse isn't she???

Do you really need an excuse ? ;)
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    On another note...the SFX countdown continues with its part 2 of Jokes on Who...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=the_joke_s_on_who1

Ooh, thanks ! I checked yesterday morning but forgot to check yesterday afternoon !

I've made myself a little 'reserved' card to put on the seat usually reserved for Mr SM as it is the optimum distance from the tv and the fire so has the best of everything. I'm making mince pies on Wednesday and I've got a huuuuuge tub of my favourite ice cream - all set! Ohhhhh! Hurry up Friday!!!

I need to make food decisions and soon ! Will I have for EoT some pistacchio macaroons or some salted butter macaroons ?
    It is a very tough decision !
    I have managed to get myself a day ahead of the regeneration re-watch by watching the movie this evening. 'The Twin Dilemma' and 'Time and the Rani' - can't say I especially like either of them, though I am quite fond of both wardrobe scenes! :D

This is the first time I have watched the movie since I started to listen to the Eight audios and as with Peri and Six, I find my opinion of the character slightly changed. I always quite liked Eight, but the audios have made me think that he is rather wonderful and I really enjoyed looking back at the beginning for him. Still not keen on the Master in this, but hey-ho!

I am so so late now in the regen rewatch : I have to watch The Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani for tonight !
    (I hate social life catching up, but the holidays is the only moment I can really do that !)

I am very eager to rewatch the movie too.
    Eight has become a very familiar character because of all the audios, and somehow a favorite of mine. He's not just that strange guy in the ridiculous Lord Byron costume in that pretty lame story. He fully is The Doctor to me thanks to the audios, and furthermore he is a Doctor I like a lot !
    I'll never thank enough Trollface and you for pushing me to listen to them because I really don't regret it.
    I have started watching Time and the Rani (another not so favourite one here too), but I just had to drop in and tell you what Mr SM said. I am most insulted and I'm sure you all will be too.

I was watching the telly as I said and Mr SM was reading in the chair and he said 'Why are you watching the same one over and over again?' :eek: Ok so maybe there are some similarities, but purlease? :rolleyes:

AND my son has just said he's looking forward to DW on Christmas day. I was so pleased until he said he was looking forward to laughing at me crying. :mad: :( I think I may have to send him out if that's his attitude!! Naughty step at the age of 30 - do you think it'll work? :p

Naughty son ! Be careful that he doesn't try to film you or get a picture of you crying or you'll never hear the end of it ;)
    At worse, I can offer people asylum to watch EoT quietly and without interruption or sniggers from family :D

I like the patterns repeating themselves in the regen stories actually. I like to see why they die, ie. what they are willing to sacrifice their life for. I like the post-regen episodes : I expect the mirror scene and the costume scene and all that. I think it creates a ritual, a sense of continuity... and also the idea that the Doctor is pretty vain :D
    Forum Member
    Webslark wrote: »
    Completely misread that as ponies :D

I wonder if THIS will help. Obviously later incarnations made do with one hand :D

I've moved on from ponies to little pinkies. Dread what I may talk about tomorrow ;)

He looks like a cheap music hall illusionist with that costume and those hands held up :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've moved on from ponies to little pinkies. Dread what I may talk about tomorrow ;)

He looks like a cheap music hall illusionist with that costume and those hands held up :D

A bit like this? :eek:

As for tomorrow, i predict you'll be talking about hats and saying "oh my giddy aunt" :D
    Forum Member
    A bit like this? :eek:

Exactly like this :D
    As for tomorrow, i predict you'll be talking about hats and saying "oh my giddy aunt" :D

Do you know for how long I've been trying to use "Oh my giddy aunt" in a post ? But it really doesn't come naturally, does it ? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly like this :D

Do you know for how long I've been trying to use "Oh my giddy aunt" in a post ? But it really doesn't come naturally, does it ? ;)

I thought you'd like it. Not a lot, but you'd like it :D

Even in the sixties that phrase was a bit old fashioned. Maybe we need to use OMGA on teh interwebs :D
    Forum Member
    Even in the sixties that phrase was a bit old fashioned. Maybe we need to use OMGA on teh interwebs :D

I love that idea ! OMGA ! That's perfect ! I am soooo going to use it :D Thanks Webslark, perfect idea !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love that idea ! OMGA ! That's perfect ! I am soooo going to use it :D Thanks Webslark, perfect idea !

Wonder what others we can subvert? :D

I know there is WWTDD? out there already.

And on that note, I REALLY need to get some w*rk done :rolleyes:

laters!
    Forum Member
    Wonder what others we can subvert? :D

I know there is WWTDD? out there already.

And on that note, I REALLY need to get some w*rk done :rolleyes:

laters!

WWW as "What ? What ? What ?" instead of the less gracious WTF :)

I sympathize with you having some w*rk done and I should actually do the same. Should, just should. Probably won't ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WWW as "What ? What ? What ?" instead of the less gracious WTF :)

I sympathize with you having some w*rk done and I should actually do the same. Should, just should. Probably won't ;)

SNAP! :D
    Forum Member
    SFX has this week's schedule for sci-fi fans : includes DT's appearances on TV, DW repeats (they are aplenty), a Sir Patrick Stewart appearance and plenty of films.
    And of course, as "highlight of the year", Transformers... erm... no, sorry, I meant EoT :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Apparently Noel Clarke said on twitter he wouldn't considering being in TW4. Thats good as a) I hate the idea of Micky being in TW and b) because the ship has surely well and truly sailed on that idea when he didn't appear in CoE?

Off to do battle with the weather now, yuck!

Glad although I like Mickey wouldn't want him in TW4. I think it needs Johnson and some new blood.
    SNAP! :D

As Jack would say 'work to do' - it's snowed here again and I am a bit panicky as my Mum is supposed to be travelling from Wales by train tomorrow and I've another friend coming from Hull. I am just hoping Tesco will get here.
    It does look lovely out there but I am going to try to get out today if only to turn the car over. Anyway washing up then hoovering and carpet cleaning then kitchen floor and so on. Don't you just love Christmas.
    Did I mention wrapping presents as well!
    And to keep on topic it was great to see CE on breakfast time this morning in a clip from the Charles Dickens episode.
This discussion has been closed.