hdmi to vga

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi

I have a brand new sony vaio laptop. it doesnt have a vga output...

I had the option to buy an adaptor when I bought the laptop... but I didn't get one.

anyway, now I think I'll need one soon..... so can I just buy a generica hdmi to vga adaptor off ebay, and it will work?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't do VGA to HDMI without a complex converter in between. Just buying a cable won't work, despite the fact that some people will try and sell you one.

What are you trying to connect your PC to?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You can't do VGA to HDMI without a complex converter in between. Just buying a cable won't work, despite the fact that some people will try and sell you one.

What are you trying to connect your PC to?

ok - so the one that sony are trying to sell in conjunction with my laptop wont work?
    http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vaio-additionals/vgp-da15

I will be connecting my PC to projectors to do presentations, etc... as the projectors are older theny dont seem to have hdmi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surely the sony converter would work if it is sold as compatible with my laptop?
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd get that sony one, just email their support people and ask them to confirm its compatible with your laptop and so long as they say yes order one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I'd get that sony one, just email their support people and ask them to confirm its compatible with your laptop and so long as they say yes order one

well yeah my laptop is listed in the "compatible models" underneath!

I suppose I could buy a cheaper one off ebay. but the sony one is more likely to work!
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,329
    Forum Member
    ok - so the one that sony are trying to sell in conjunction with my laptop wont work?
    http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vaio-additionals/vgp-da15

I will be connecting my PC to projectors to do presentations, etc... as the projectors are older theny dont seem to have hdmi

It's NOT an HDMI/VGA 'converter', as others have suggested that requires complex and expensive electronics.

It's probably a special Sony 'lead' - with the Sony providing either HDMI, or VGA from the same port, and the lead selects the VGA option, and outputs it to the VGA pins.

There's a list of compatible Sony computers on the link you posted, just make sure yours is listed there.

But I'll repeat again - it's NOT a converter, so it will only work with those specific (and special) models - which contain the required electronics inside the laptop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's NOT an HDMI/VGA 'converter', as others have suggested that requires complex and expensive electronics.

It's probably a special Sony 'lead' - with the Sony providing either HDMI, or VGA from the same port, and the lead selects the VGA option, and outputs it to the VGA pins.

There's a list of compatible Sony computers on the link you posted, just make sure yours is listed there.

But I'll repeat again - it's NOT a converter, so it will only work with those specific (and special) models - which contain the required electronics inside the laptop.

OK. thats great. thanks for the help.

As long as it works, I'm not too fussed whether its an adaptor, a converer, a speacial lead, or a banana to be honest! hehe.

My laptop sku is listed as compatible, I have just double checked - so I think I'm fairly safe to go ahead and order it!

Thanks again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member

Just for a change Nigel, you are actually wrong. This conversion is now neither complex or expensive. The conversion is accomplished by a custom $3 chip which takes its power from the HDMI connection and can easily be encapsulated in a cable like the one the OP shows. Similar principle to what the FTDI chips do in USB to serial convertor cables. Google the IT6692FN chip from ITE Tech Inc.

There are a myriad of cables using them available now from the usual Far East sources - even on Amazon - for less than a tenner retail and much less wholesale.

http://www.unitek-products.com/en/product_detail.php?id=183

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Black-Adapter-Converter-Laptop/dp/B007KEIRNG/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgxMB2ZLpMQ **Turn the sound off - the music is bloody dreadful **

They work very well, even on Raspberry Pis (which is what I use mine for, to it hook up to an old VGA only 19" Dell monitor I had kicking about).

We live & learn, eh? ;)
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    This conversion is now neither complex or expensive.

Thanks, most informative. :)