Channel 4 scheduling 11:00 11/11/2010

13»

Comments

• DieDieMyDarlingDieDieMyDarling Posts: 4,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am physically repulsed that one of the main Broadcasters in the UK did not observe the 2 minutes silence at 11:00 today. For a channel that seemingly shows a lot of programmes regarding our armed forces this should not have been so.
    It was only out of curiosity, flicking through the channels that i discovered this. Channel 4 should be ashamed of themselves

If something as utterly trivial as this physically repulses you, I'd hate to know what something like child murder, or genocide does to you. Overreact much?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The silence was moved from the 11th to sunday after the 11th during WW2, the silence on the 11th was reinstated about ten or so years ago (may have been 80th aniverary of the armistas), we now have two silenses one on the 11th and one on the folwing sunday.

I suppose strictly speaking we have a two minute silence on the 11th and we have various Remembrance services and commemorations on the Sunday and these include a two minute silence.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am physically repulsed that one of the main Broadcasters in the UK did not observe the 2 minutes silence at 11:00 today. For a channel that seemingly shows a lot of programmes regarding our armed forces this should not have been so.
    It was only out of curiosity, flicking through the channels that i discovered this. Channel 4 should be ashamed of themselves

I don't think most people pay much attention to what Channel 4 does, they are fond of posturing as with the thing they do on Christmas Day when the Queen's speech is on.
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ........//.... regarding John Snow, because he does not wear a poppy, except on Armistice day and Remembrance Sunday. What he does in his private life is up to him, but because he is in the public eye, he should conform to the standards set by his peers when working........

Surely that's an editorial (and frankly commercial) decision by his clients Channel 4. They choose to allow him such flexibility; ironically it is just this flexibility that British servicemen have died for and continue to do so. Jon Snow is a good journalist and is entitled to make a point, I suspect his point is that you shouldn't wear a poppy simply because peer pressure forces you to do so. I bet that he wears a poppy in private though.