Options

People claiming Christmas was over after Xmas dinner

Comments

• Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    We're just starting to get into the best bit of Christmas now. The days before Christmas are no fun because that's when you are out having to find presents. Christmas day and Boxing day mostly seem to be used to flit around visiting church or people you don't bother with the rest of the year. The 27th is when you can kick back and relax - enjoy the decorations that you put up a few days earlier and eat mince pies and drink eggnog at leisure, whist watching all your new DVDs or reading your new books.

Unless you're in work today, like me. Only a custodian role today though, keeping an eye on things, no real work to do. In fact, I've got Back to the Future 3 on the TV next to my desk.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas is over people, it was over midnight christmas day, the sales have started, people are going back to work, you can cling on to it all you want but your only kidding yourself, ITS OVER
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Christmas is not over until you had bubble & squeak on Boxing day :D
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I always consider Christmas to be over after Boxing Day. New Year has no connection to Christmas. However we leave the decorations up til the beginning of January.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    The 12 days of Christmas lasts until the 6th of January, which is the day when the 3 Kings arrived to give Jesus his presents, the 6th of Jan is celebrated as Christmas in many countries. It is also the day to take down your decorations.

Exactly! It's always been like that for me and my family it's lovely
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    That good that you can spend Christmas properly in your own way and not having to work

More that I don't have to job hunt which was a very real possibility at the start of the month.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    More that I don't have to job hunt which was a very real possibility at the start of the month.

Yes it's good that I don't have to do that mundane shit for another few days
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I've been told our local one has already filled rows of its shelves with Easter eggs and Cadbury's crème eggs too.

Apparently the Co-Op had theirs on display a few weeks ago.:D
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people should leave the tree and decs up until at least new years day, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas is over people, it was over midnight christmas day, the sales have started, people are going back to work, you can cling on to it all you want but your only kidding yourself, ITS OVER
    I always thought Scrooge was as fictional as Santa. Now I know he's real. :p
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been told our local one has already filled rows of its shelves with Easter eggs and Cadbury's crème eggs too.

Who lives their life around calander events?
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    Who lives their life around calander events?

Er, everybody! Even if they don't think they do. Be a confused world if we didn't.

Maybe I am missing your point here a bit? It's not entirely clear. :confused:
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I don't bother putting up decorations or a tree anyway. The only two occasions I've spent Christmas at home I was far too ill to care and all those flashing lights would have given me a headache. I just invade the home of a family member for a few days :).
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er, everybody! Even if they don't think they do. Be a confused world if we didn't.

Maybe I am missing your point here a bit? It's not entirely clear. :confused:

I mean is that all people have to look forward to eg Easter then christmas and repeat
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I mean is that all people have to look forward to eg Easter then christmas and repeat

I'm also looking forward to the election next year. Probably more excited about that than I am my own birthday.

Yeah, even I realised how sad that last sentence sounded after I read it :blush:. Still true though!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member

Quite sad isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    I'm also looking forward to the election next year. Probably more excited about that than I am my own birthday.

Yeah, even I realised how sad that last sentence sounded after I read it :blush:. Still true though!

Yes, I think it will be an interesting election this year.;-)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    I think people should leave the tree and decs up until at least new years day, in my opinion.

That's what I do..

I think people who take their decorations down before New Year aren't that bothered about New Year..
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    The tree and decorations will stay up until my wife can be arsed taking them down. Could be next Sunday or could be March.

She made the effort to put them up, so they'll stay up as long as she wants them up.

We rarely get any visitors, so it's not as if anyone will criticise or mock, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    The tree and decorations will stay up until my wife can be arsed taking them down. Could be next Sunday or could be March.

She made the effort to put them up, so they'll stay up as long as she wants them up.

We rarely get any visitors, so it's not as if anyone will criticise or mock, anyway.

What you are really saying is, She put them up so she can take them down.;-)
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    What you are really saying is, She put them up so she can take them down.;-)
    You got it in one!
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still filled with the joys of yuletide. :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas will be over at 5pm today, after the novelty of a Sunday afternoon football match.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    The 12 days of Christmas lasts until the 6th of January, which is the day when the 3 Kings arrived to give Jesus his presents, the 6th of Jan is celebrated as Christmas in many countries. It is also the day to take down your decorations.

For me the holiday ends after 1st of Jan which is the day our decs come down. And its in two distinct parts. The "magic" of Christmas is the build up imo-those days up to and including Christmas Eve, with all the expectation (even if it might be false), shopping, putting decs up, advent calendars, Nativity, Scrooge, Carols, Slade, Shakin Stevens, Bing Crosby, meal out etc etc
    During Christmas Day a metamorphosis occurs and all that is banished -in fact it becomes quite flat imo. On a religious level clearly the period extends until 12th night-but I would imagine for most of us the variable grind of normality is well in swing by then. And Jan through March can be a long hard slog.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter was very upset yesterday when we went for a drive, as the radio channel wasn't playing Christmas songs anymore. I told her it'll all be on again on New Year's Eve, party night for many, and we can go for a drive then and do some singing :)

I love New Year's Eve - even though I just come on here for the party thread :D (which I really enjoy) it's a time of happiness and sadness for me, but for some reason I 'feel' it more than Christmas ... probably because I haven't spent weeks/months seeking out presents, planning it, talking about it with my daughter. There's no big build-up.