Our War - BBC3

1235»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Salv - Not sure why you would feel that this final episode was 'bad', presumably as in not so good terms?
    The Guardsmen did pretty well all considered and they are right not to trust the Afghan police. Ten years on and you have to seriously question what has been achieved at at what cost, in lives, injury, misery, destruction and monetary terms. Was it the right thing to do back in 2001, invade Afghanistan, to render the Taliban useless and rid the land of Al Queda? Undoubtedly, yes, but serious mistakes have been made and the impetus was lost when Iraq kicked off. Time to leave asap.
    Medical Discharge (Invaliding) is not discrimination, nor can soldiers (sailors and airmen too) stay indefinitely if they are unable to continue the job they are trained and expected to do because of a disability or condition or illness. Get real, people.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Amazing programme. They covered so much in this episode. I wonder if it could have been opened out into 2 shows? So many stories and incidents.

The whole ANP incident with the little girl was just - what's the right word - compelling? frightening? Seeing it all unfold slowly like that, with the nurse on her first day of her first tour. Incrediblly powerful footage. So relived when they finally revealed she survived.

The foot patrol ambush was terrifying as well. You felt like you were there.

Ep 2 wasn't as powerful but overall it's been an incredible series - unlike anything war-related I've ever seen before.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I missed the 2nd episode but the 2 that I did see were some of the best television I've seen this year.

No comments from politicians or newsmen, just footage shot by soldiers and their own comments, thoughts and feelings. Stand-out moments from last night's prog were the child casualty and the loss of Major Birchall, who was clearly an inspirational officer. The programme also touched briefly on the tragic loss of Daz Chant and his colleagues, murdered by a renegade Afghan policeman.

Soldiers go where the politicans tell them to, so I don't see the relevance of comments referring to the rights and wrongs of the army being there in the first place. As for the twunt who criticised the soldiers' behaviour under fire in episode 1, I'll put that down to a combination of ignorance and too much Call of Duty.

I had no idea that BBC3 was capable of commissioning such a thoughtful, powerful, moving piece of television. The men's qualities of bravery, humour and, above all, concern for each other and the Afghan civilians shone through.

There aren't many reasons to be proud to be British these days but the quality of our armed forces is one of them.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seriousman wrote: »
    Salv - Not sure why you would feel that this final episode was 'bad', presumably as in not so good terms?
    The Guardsmen did pretty well all considered and they are right not to trust the Afghan police. Ten years on and you have to seriously question what has been achieved at at what cost, in lives, injury, misery, destruction and monetary terms. Was it the right thing to do back in 2001, invade Afghanistan, to render the Taliban useless and rid the land of Al Queda? Undoubtedly, yes, but serious mistakes have been made and the impetus was lost when Iraq kicked off. Time to leave asap.
    Medical Discharge (Invaliding) is not discrimination, nor can soldiers (sailors and airmen too) stay indefinitely if they are unable to continue the job they are trained and expected to do because of a disability or condition or illness. Get real, people.

Huh? I mean it was horrible to see.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I have yet to watch the final episode yet (Sky plussed it), but I will say this show has been incredible. So much has been said, the footage speaks for itself.

Whether you agree with the war or not I don't think anyone can deny that these men and women are truly astounding in their bravery, courage and education. Until you could stand there surrounded by Taliban shooting at you and be brave enough to fight back, I don't think you could even begin to criticise them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just watched the first one of the series (been glued to the tennis for most of June/July) but I'm so glad I Sky +'d it.
    What an amazing documentary. It's something I dont think we'll ever understand unless we're in the same situation. I was incredibly moved, by the camaraderie and, though it's trite, watching "Boys turn into Men."

I wonder if Bjorn Rose got into trouble for sending that heartfelt letter? That stood out for me. If I was Chris Grey's mother I'd want to know exactly how it happened, not the lies the MoD told her. No wonder she "lost it" ( as she said). I thought Officer Rose was an absolute credit to his colleagues to write and send that letter.

I'm eagerly anticipating the next two programmes. It truly has changed my perspective of the War in Afghanistan. I am so glad it's going to get a wider audience when it's shown on BBC1 later this year.

Documentary making at its best.
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    Documentary making at its best.
    And on BBC3.....:cool:

Should be repeated on 1......all three programmes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

It's going to be.:) The Guardian reported that the Beeb had responded to the overwhelming critical acclaim and it will be shown on BBC1 later in the year.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As if we don't have enough repeats
  • Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BUMP

It was

Started tonight on BBC1 at 10.35pm

should be available on iPlayer and follows on next week.......