Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad to hear this :(

R.I.P

Bargain Hunt won't be the same without you :(
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame, I'm a BH regular, he'll be much missed.

Id imagine he ll be still on there as they like to air old episodes from last year.
  • jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    RIP david barby. he was a link to the early days; and was always fun but still showed his class. it was a shock when he died, but more of a shock that the beeb didnt acknowledge his death quicker. damn he was a good expert and a bit of respect would have been appropriate.
  • BohochicBohochic Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Absolutely loved David Barby, how very sad. I remember watching a programme about him and his lovely wife a while back, I think it was a BH special where they looked at the day to day lives of some of the experts. David was very much into amateur dramatics and played the part of the dame in his local panto, you can just imagine it!! He loved his cat too.
    I never miss an episode of BH, recording it each day to watch later, it'll never be the same without him.
    RIP David, God Bless xx
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    That is so sad, he was a great character on BH, condolences to his family, it is a shame :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how old David was?

Such a sad loss, only just heard oddly, nothing seems to have been said on the News...
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Such a sad loss, only just heard oddly, nothing seems to have been said on the News...

I believe he was born in 1948 so not a spring chicken but obviously not a great age either. He was such a gentleman but very competitive in a by gone era kind of way and I liked that about him.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He was 63 Kate
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    I believe he was born in 1948 so not a spring chicken but obviously not a great age either. He was such a gentleman but very competitive in a by gone era kind of way and I liked that about him.

Thanks for that Cressida.

He was only 64, should have had years more, I started to feel a tad concerned when he got badly bruised but still took his place on the show. He at least had some fabulous times with his colleagues on the antique programmes .
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I heard about an antiques expert death yesterday but didnt realise this was David Barby..what a shame he always seemd so lovely and genuine..
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First I heard of this, so it is such a shock. David is from the old school, and a lovely guy. My outstanding memory of him on BH is the episode where he did a valuation for a lady he had known since his early teens. Even after all these years - I don't think they were in touch - he was so friendly toward her. He was one of my favourite experts, and he was exactly that, he certainly knew his stuff. He and Phil Serrell were cut from the same cloth. Sympathies and thoughts go to his family. xxx.
    David will leave a lasting impression on all us BH viewers, for whom the show will never be the same. The world of antiques will never see the likes again. His eyes were so sparkling and smiley; he was always laughing and joking, always happy. He seemed to enjoy his work, and love antiques and collecting.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    He was one of my favourites on Bargain Hunt. Very sad news :(
  • ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a nice thread this is, one of many experts in a low tech day-time TV show yet David has obviously many fans on DS.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another of life's characters gone. He was awful at valuations but still very entertaining. R.I.P. Mr Barby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Apologies in advance if this post sounds harsh or causes offence.

But, whilst I am saddened to hear of David's death, I am neither shocked or surprised. I know like me others were troubled to see him all banged up after a couple of nasty falls in as many years. Although these falls may not have contributed to his demise, I would bet my house that the punishing schedule of zipping up and down then country making 3 different TV shows did have an effect on this 63 ry old gent.
    My heart goes out to his friends and family, but especially his wife, who was probably looking forward to a long and happy retirement together.

Rest in peace David, you've earned it.
    Forum Member
    Barb Ablar wrote: »

But, whilst I am saddened to hear of David's death, I am neither shocked or surprised. I know like me others were troubled to see him all banged up after a couple of nasty falls in as many years. Although these falls may not have contributed to his demise, I would bet my house that the punishing schedule of zipping up and down then country making 3 different TV shows did have an effect on this 63 ry old gent.
    My heart goes out to his friends and family, but especially his wife, who was probably looking forward to a long and happy retirement together.

Not harsh at all, iit`s what came to my mind too, the Beeb push these people around and as I was only saying yesterday after watching the evening programme, the experts are driven to beg and plead to cash starved stallholders (believe me, I`ve been a stall holder myself at fairs, they charge a fortune) for ridiculously low discounts, portraying the experts completely out of character. BBC can be toe-curlingly embarrassing and Barby and the others had/have to play up to their childish pranky games.
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was on road trips the other day on sky. Obviously a repeat but still nice to see.

One thing I did wonder. A couple months ago he was on bargin Hunt and he appeared fine then midway through the episode he was sporting a shiner on his face and nothing was really said apart from he walked into something when it looked as if someone had thumped him one.

Was their any reports on this?
  • tushinghamtushingham Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been on a reality show but, if coaxed, I suppose the only one I would contemplate taking part in would be Bargain Hunt.
    That said, I would only have been satisfied with one expert - David Barby. In the early days at least, he picked the more successful items.
    I remember one show where two middle-aged ladies were told David was going to be their expert. They jumped up and down with excitement and he and Tim Wonnacott looked utterly bemused at their joy.
    Silly, I know, but my reaction would have been identical to theirs. :o
  • cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a shame. I really didn't like Bargain Hunt, David Barby made the show bearable. He'll be missed for his vivacious personality & brilliant brain.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steven1977 wrote: »
    I think he was on road trips the other day on sky. Obviously a repeat but still nice to see.

One thing I did wonder. A couple months ago he was on bargin Hunt and he appeared fine then midway through the episode he was sporting a shiner on his face and nothing was really said apart from he walked into something when it looked as if someone had thumped him one.

Was their any reports on this?

Yeah he done that during the Road Trip, he tripped on a step, and went face first into the corner of a bench, must have been filming BH at the same time, as in some episodes of those his face was fine, and others it wasn't.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barb Ablar wrote: »

You seem to be suggesting he was somehow forced to make these programmes. Maybe he just enjoyed it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not harsh at all, iit`s what came to my mind too, the Beeb push these people around and as I was only saying yesterday after watching the evening programme, the experts are driven to beg and plead to cash starved stallholders (believe me, I`ve been a stall holder myself at fairs, they charge a fortune) for ridiculously low discounts, portraying the experts completely out of character. BBC can be toe-curlingly embarrassing and Barby and the others had/have to play up to their childish pranky games.

I don't think any of the experts are forced to participate. They choose to.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such a shock he was lovely as a BH regular viewer he will be dearly missed
    thoughts are with his family

RIP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    You seem to be suggesting he was somehow forced to make these programmes. Maybe he just enjoyed it?

Where am I suggesting he was forced to appear in these programmes ?

Actually, I was suggesting nothing of the sort. I was merely pointing out that it was all perhaps a bit much for him, and yes he obviously did enjoy it.

Anyway this is hardly the time or the place to get snippy.