Christmas Lights in London

GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A friend who is visiting from overseas wants us to take her to see "typical Christmas lights" (her words) in London. I know London quite well but haven't bothered to see the Christmas lights for years.

Can anybody recommend good displays ? I know Regent Street/Oxford Street always put on lots of lights, but any other tips ? Covent Garden ? South Bank ? Is the big Christmas tree still up each year in Trafalgar Square ?

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Covent Garden is really nice at the moment.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her up the Oxo tower!
  • GaditanoGaditano Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take her up the Oxo tower!

We're not that close......
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Harrod's and Harvey Nicholl's window displays are always worth a look, same with Liberty.
  • babinabababinaba Posts: 5,441
    Forum Member
    Carnaby Street
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for suggestions so far.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Each year I take my daughter up to town to see the lights. We usually visit one of the big museums, then look in Harrods - they usually have an excellent window display - and get the bus (#10?) up Park Lane and Oxford Street, then walk down Regents Street and then jump on a bus for a few more stops to Trafalgar Square.
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Selfridges traditionally theme their windows for Xmas, and it's near South Molton Street, which has a nice standing display this year (just off Oxford St).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks!

Just a cheeky bump up to page 1 to see if any more of you nice helpful folks have any suggestions.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tell her to forget it, they are nothing special, just some lights :cool:
  • TerryHTerryH Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Harrod's and Harvey Nicholl's window displays are always worth a look, same with Liberty.
    Agree with this, Harrods is very impressive this year.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    Everything looks beautiful. Take her to the Christmas shop at Liberty and go see the window display at Fortnum and Mason.

I agree, Harrods is quite impressive this year and if you walk a bit further to the Natural History Museum, you have the ice rink, it looks really pretty at night.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,633
    Forum Member
    I think Oxford Street's lights are quite nice this year - just understated plain white "snowball" type things.

Regent Street has gone commercial as usual, theming them around some new animated film that is coming out.

Carnaby Sreet's lights are usually worth a look. I've not been yet, but on previous years they've usually had the most quirky and unusual of the main shopping streets of London lights.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regent Street lights are nothing special this year - 12 days of Christmas pictures interspersed with promoting some kids film.

Carnaby Street ones are just weird.

Covent Garden is lovely though, as is the Harrods window, and Hamleys :)
  • ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd take her to Harrods, Harvey Nicks, Selfridges, Liberty, Fortnums...

Covent Garden's cool too.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    traf sq to oxford st :

if norway has stopped sending the yearly christmas tree for traf. sq then i havent heard about it.

not seen covent garden yet. but of course its very touristy and there will be some sort of street theatre happening in front of the church.

dont forget to look at the famous broad st pump.

carnaby st lights is giant scary robins. weird. but you could also look at the famous spirit of soho wall mural about halfway down. a crowdpleaser

at top of carnaby st cross regent st which is nothing special. keep going towards hanover sq and theres this amazing new art gallery with huge windows to look through. current display is candies by damien hirst.

just south of hanover sq is the amazing bizarre mock georgian 3 story portacabin with crossrail workers scurrying around

keep going past hanover sq and cross bond st then turn right into south molton st. theres these nice lighted arches yhou can walk through. although exactly same as last year.

top of south molton st is oxford st and selfridges. window display usually worth a look.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    other way south from traf sq is the pedestrian footbridge from embankment station .....

no idea what south bank lights are like but that whole area is now loadsa shops. just like everwhere else. you cannot escape the compulsory shopping aaaarrrrrrrgh ..........
  • punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Selfridges window displays are great this year. Many centre around a large (branded) item such as a big swinging gold chain or pair of headphones, each surrounded by lots of mini Santas, penguins or reindeer all doing seasonal stuff.

There's also a window full of expensive handbags in the snow and a recreation of 'lost' London buildings made out of gingerbread.

Plus a (moving) toy train stacked high with presents which should always be part of any Christmas display.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    no idea what south bank lights are like but that whole area is now loadsa shops. just like everwhere else. you cannot escape the compulsory shopping aaaarrrrrrrgh ..........

The South Bank is quite pretty, and the Christmas market is actually really good!