Options

£7 per month for HD.

Comments

• Options
    ALANMALANM Posts: 2,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paddy29 wrote: »
    So as I want to watch SPL, this is completely useless to me. Sick of continually being treated like a second class citizen by Ofcom and Sky.

Good to see that at least one other person on these boards has spotted just how bad this deal is for SPL fans.

Following years of official inquiries, investigations, reports and negotiations, the cost of watching Sky's SPL coverage on VM remains unchanged and HD remains unavailable:mad:
  • Options
    ConcretepigsyConcretepigsy Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont like the charge, dont pay for it you have managed to live without until now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This [click here] is a bit too high for me to contemplate.

But if you've got enough disposable income you can save a fiver on each pack (if you have M TV) by going up to M+ for £5.50, then add the Sky HD package of your choice.
  • Options
    seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    can someone explain to me please regarding the price's of this please. i am moving over from sky and on this posting i have seen the advert that say's all youre's sky sports fanatic at £50.00 per month. i am getting the tv xl can, someone confirm that espn hd,eurosport hd are still free and that if i want to add sport's it will be £20.50 per month and also £7.00 per month if i wish to get the hd of sky sport's 1&2. if this is correct it would work out cheaper doing this way and not getting it that way or i am reading somthing wrong here many thank's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seasidedaz wrote: »
    can someone explain to me please regarding the price's of this please. i am moving over from sky and on this posting i have seen the advert that say's all youre's sky sports fanatic at £50.00 per month. i am getting the tv xl can, someone confirm that espn hd,eurosport hd are still free and that if i want to add sport's it will be £20.50 per month and also £7.00 per month if i wish to get the hd of sky sport's 1&2. if this is correct it would work out cheaper doing this way and not getting it that way or i am reading somthing wrong here many thank's.
    See here [click]!
  • Options
    RozRoz Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seasidedaz wrote: »
    Yes you are correct. ESPN HD and Eurosport HD are part of the XL tv package, and the cost for the Sports package and it's HD version is also correct.
  • Options
    RozRoz Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoNoDrama wrote: »
    I see you can add the HD premium at the shopping basket stage.

Still for new customers there is no incentive/special offer. I want L BB, M phone, TVXL + Sky Sports HD package. In total this would cost 75 pounds a month + 49 pounds activation fee. Sky offer their box for free!

But Virgin are also doing two months free! So that way you'd get your £49 + more back
  • Options
    seasidedazseasidedaz Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    many thank's for all the help given but it doe's seem strange to sell it at £50.00 when it work''s out at at £27.50 or iam not including any other sport's channel's that i have forgot about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote: »
    Good to see that at least one other person on these boards has spotted just how bad this deal is for SPL fans.

Following years of official inquiries, investigations, reports and negotiations, the cost of watching Sky's SPL coverage on VM remains unchanged and HD remains unavailable:mad:

You are right it is a bad deal for SPL fans particularly those who live outside Scotland like yourself but there are quite a lot of SPL games on ESPN HD anyway.
  • Options
    bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    But they get the full lot Virgin only get two Sky Sports channels. Plus for new customer the comparative deals are (broadband, phone full tv + Sky Sports) roughly the same apart from Virgin you have to pay a whopping 49 pounds fee for the box.

So for a Sky Sports viewer Sky is definitely the best deal.

VM customers still get all the Sports channels in SD, so not really "missing" anything. It's 2 HD channels extra. Still a bargain when you count in ESPN HD for free, as some posters have stated.

Plus £49 for a lifetime warranty is a BARGAIN!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The charge seems reasonable to me for all those channels. It is not as if XL customers are not getting extra channels included anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ALANM wrote: »

The real kick in the sensitives is that Sky are showing Celtic friendlies on Sky Sports 1 HD up till the 1st of August!! A day before it launches on VM.

Sky knew that not giving VM 3 & 4 in HD would be a deal destroyer for many people, not just SPL fans. I suppose we still get the channels, and more importantly over HD, the Red Button soon...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed to see that VM seem to have changed their mind about Film4 HD, and that M subscribers now need to upgrade to M+.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    bamindy wrote: »
    The real kick in the sensitives is that Sky are showing Celtic friendlies on Sky Sports 1 HD up till the 1st of August!! A day before it launches on VM.

Sky knew that not giving VM 3 & 4 in HD would be a deal destroyer for many people, not just SPL fans. I suppose we still get the channels, and more importantly over HD, the Red Button soon...

Not really as most of the major Sky Sports stuff events are on SS1 and SS2. I think SPL audiences on Sky for SPL games are low which means they get relegated to SS3 or SS4 unless it's an Old Firm game of course which will be on SS1.

In any case if you are in Scotland you should be at the game anyway if work or family commitments allow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    Called 150 this morning. Unlucky that person who answered the phone not up to speed with this and told me to apply on 2 August. Saw the onscreen message on 517 and have now ordered online, simple. Got email confirming HD channels will be available from 2 August, can't wait.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    ^ This is what I'm waiting for.

Do we know if the full red button stuff is coming?

I emailed Neil Berketts office a while ago about the Red Button interactive coming on sky sports on vm and recieved a reply which stated it would be here in 2011.

So a little while to wait yet.
  • Options
    NoNoDramaNoNoDrama Posts: 1,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact remains the HD premium is poorly priced and represents poor value for sports fans. Why are people on TVXL expected to pay the same as those on M?

And why are the bundles on this page advertised without broadband? :confused: Are VM embarrassed by what the total price would be?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact remains the HD premium is poorly priced and represents poor value for sports fans. Why are people on TVXL expected to pay the same as those on M?

And why are the bundles on this page advertised without broadband? :confused: Are VM embarrassed by what the total price would be?

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264

I take a bundle TVXL BBL phone M and the sky sports collection all in all with a £14 bundle discount its £66.50,just to give an example of what the price might come to.

Without any HD charge add £7 and its £73.50:)

I agree its poorly priced just for sports fans.

But thats life i guess i wll not be subbing but at least vm now have access to sky HD which is a good thing, and if you like movies the £7 represents fair value for money as most of the channels are movie HD ones.

And virgin tv is moving on to become a very good product indeed,with more HD on the way that will be included in the TVXL price,overall well done to virgin for concentrating on the tv this year.
  • Options
    rawlyrawly Posts: 447
    Forum Member

If you want Sports in HD with TV M+ it works out £15 cheaper a month (from Sep when Sky's prices rise) on Virgin that with Sky - as from their press release:

Platform
    Virgin
    Sky
    Contract length
    12 months
    12 months
    Monthly cost
    £44.99
    £57.00 (£60.00 from September)
    Total Annual cost
    £539.88
    £684.00 (£720 from Sep)
    Savings Monthly
    £12.01 (£15.01 from Sep)
    Savings Annual
    £144.12 (£180.12 from Sep)

I do agree, that they could sweeten it a bit more for XL customers, especially as you would also want ESPN HD to see ALL the football (for instance) and you need XL for that. From September taking the XL package with Sports in HD is still £11.50 cheaper than Sky - as you suggest, not as good a saving as with M+ ! You'd think the HD Charge should be more like £3.50 for XL customers (and FREE on VIP) - which I think Virgin may have slipped up on TBH.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rossmor32 wrote: »
    Not really as most of the major Sky Sports stuff events are on SS1 and SS2. I think SPL audiences on Sky for SPL games are low which means they get relegated to SS3 or SS4 unless it's an Old Firm game of course which will be on SS1.

In any case if you are in Scotland you should be at the game anyway if work or family commitments allow.

As I say, it's a deal destroyer for some people, not everyone. The people affected by this are unlikely to subscribe to something they won't benefit from; ie, why pay for Sky Sports HD when what you want to watch is on 3 & 4?

Your last comment makes no sense - the same logic would apply to the rest of the UK, and if that was the case, Sky Sports would need not exist as we'd all be at the game! Besides, there are people who physically cannot get to a game, regardless of family or work commitments! You're just winding people up with that one!
  • Options
    mitchec1mitchec1 Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually there not the Emirates cup is on Sky sports 3 & 3HD. Celtic aren't being shown live on Sky sports 1HD at all in July (see link below and search under live fixtures)

http://www.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/index.asp?id=559
  • Options
    Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    No it's not.

If you were to remove the service that discount was against, but keep the Sky Premiums HD you would lose the discount, so it's not for the HD service

There are NO discounts available for the HD Premiums bolt on just as there are no discounts for the SD Premiums
    coulsontom wrote: »
    Yes of course.

But he has added the HD at less than £7. It doesn't matter what it has been taken off, he is only paying £4.50 more not £7 more than before.

To the normal person, that is a discount on the HD charge.

Rather than trying to be all technical, you should apply common sense to this.

Your not married are you?

I tend to agree with Ben here. It's great you managed to discount your end of day monthly total, however that puts the wrong message out to people for a couple of reasons and may cause you problems later:

1) What if when someone else calls in and there is no way to add more discounts? This person is then left feeling cheated and it does nothing for them or VM.

2) As Ben has said, what if you decide to change the package they have applied that discount to? You downgrade it for whichever reason, however changing your package with VM then cancels your discount. Now you are stuck with whichever product and it's discounted subscription which may well be a lot higher than what you are saving by getting the over-all total discounted; What if that package/product you have the discount on is replaced by a different one, you will lose the discount; Or does that offer have an end date? Or that offer might run out before your commitment for 12 months Premium HD subs has passed.

@ OP: Do you know which product the discount has been applied to? If not, then you may want to try and find out :cool: I'm not trying to put a dampner on your deal, honestly I'm not, I've worked in Customer Relations for a good few years and these are the types of things that happen to people and it's all linked to the person on the phone, in the call centre, not looking at the bigger picture and believing themselves that they are getting you this better deal.

@ Everyone Signing Up - Enjoy the HD channels when you get them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see you can add the HD premium at the shopping basket stage.

Still for new customers there is no incentive/special offer. I want L BB, M phone, TVXL + Sky Sports HD package. In total this would cost 75 pounds a month + 49 pounds activation fee. Sky offer their box for free!

Yep, with the Sky offer, your total would be £71 a month (including ESPN HD) or £62 without ESPN - all based on one HD box and line rental included with Sky. You would be getting Sky Sports 1,2,3 & 4 HD

Only trouble you have is that Sky's pull-VOD service hasn't launched yet but even though the box is FREE, you would still have to be connected to a BT compatible line/Sky's own network which currently costs £39 for a new line provide with Sky. If you wanted Unlimited downloads - you'd also need to add £7.50, otherwise the BB has a 2GB cap but does offer 'up to' 20Mb speed on either BB package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..............Plus £49 for a lifetime warranty is a BARGAIN!

Apologies for being pedantic, however I think you mean lifetime rental:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those on M are less likely to be able to afford it otherwise? Known as "social engineering", I believe.