Is there a common derogatory term for a straight white man?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really throughout whole communities but you get gringo, gora, toubab, kuffur (not really colour based but can be used that way) farengi, cracker, wigger, and khwaga etc. Though these terms are often quite mild and can be used in a joking context as well as a racist one. And since they are mainly racial epithets they refer to either gender or orientation just the same.

A better one for the type of straight white male who is constantly complaining about being victimized is delusional and entitled.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prejudicial insults tend to focus on one "subgroup", so there are insults for women, for gay people, for non-white people, for people with disabilities. The result is that straight able-bodied white men are the only people who *as a group* are exempt from prejudicial insult - everybody else falls into at least one "minority" group if not more. There aren't any specific insults for "gay black woman", but they're vulnerable to the insults for gay people, the insults for black people AND the insults for women.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Prejudicial insults tend to focus on one "subgroup", so there are insults for women, for gay people, for non-white people, for people with disabilities. The result is that straight able-bodied white men are the only people who *as a group* are exempt from prejudicial insult - everybody else falls into at least one "minority" group if not more. There aren't any specific insults for "gay black woman", but they're vulnerable to the insults for gay people, the insults for black people AND the insults for women.

There are insults for men just as there are insults for women.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the equivalent insult would be for a straight white woman.
  • EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InTheNow wrote: »
    I can think of derogatory terms for women, gay men and lesbians, ethnic minorities, foreigners - just about everyone - but I can't come up with a common catch-all one for straight white men.

Yes that's a nice trick there. You compare separate groups that have no specific slurs for someone who belongs to ALL of them, then expect there to be a specific one for someone who belongs to THREE groups.

What specific slur is there for a black straight woman?
    Or White lesbian woman?
    That is only applicable to those who fulfill all three criteria?

Now if we play fair and ask each of those separately

Men: Dick, Pig, Rat
    Straight: Breeder
    White: Cracker
    Says something about the way the world works?

No, it says something about they way your mind works.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you saying that 'women' are a sub-group/minority? (Approx. half of the world's population?) :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You realise the post you quoted had the word "usually" in it, right? :D

Which then goes on to generalize. That little word at the start doesn't change the sweeping and silly generalizations that came in the following sentences,
  • swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    Yes and it is incorrect,hence my post
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    White males who are heterosexual are usually the most advantaged in life. They run most countries , have the most wealth and rarely face abuse for being who they are.

so we've started talking about comparisons

well lets have a look at the population of the world
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population

doesn't really support the hypothesis
    unless of course you have the usual eurocentric outlook of some over vocal feminists etc
    who are more interested in some weird revenge trip
    than equality

i think the usual racially derogative epithet aimed my way is "whitey"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And straight white men are vulnerable to the insults that are aimed at men, straight people AND white people.
  • LiamforkingLiamforking Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White males who are heterosexual are usually the most advantaged in life. They run most countries , have the most wealth and rarely face abuse for being who they are.

Whereas I imagine you face a daily deluge of abuse for not thinking too much and making crass generalizations.

I'm guessing you've never heard of the white working classes, or maybe you think nations are run by rich white proles?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree to an extent that every group is a a minority at least among some populations and communities and hence insulting and prejudicial names for them do exist. It just isn't all that common for white heterosexual non disabled men and most won't come across any discrimination because they are usually the 'norm' and the ones who hold the power in the societies where they exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »

What's the actual point of this thread?

GD obviously has a shortage of man bashing threads today, or existing threads that can be turned into such.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    GD obviously has a shortage of man bashing threads today, or existing threads that can be turned into such.

Perhaps the OP is doing Venn diagrams homework.
  • rip & striprip & strip Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=Empirical;58038310
    No, it says something about they way your mind works.[/QUOTE]

This. Though I'm not sure what it says either way.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    InTheNow wrote: »
    I can think of derogatory terms for women, gay men and lesbians, ethnic minorities, foreigners - just about everyone - but I can't come up with a common catch-all one for straight white men.

Says something about the way the world works?

Dunno ~

I've heard the term "straight white middle aged male/men" many times, and almost always in a derogatory sense towards the said ethnic demographic, like it's not possible to have a decent one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    There are insults for men just as there are insults for women.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the equivalent insult would be for a straight white woman.
    Any sexist insult, obviously :confused:

And no, there aren't really gendered insults for men in the same way as there are for women, if only because there's no societal sexism for them to be a part of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anywhoodle wrote: »
    Are you saying that 'women' are a sub-group/minority? (Approx. half of the world's population?) :confused:
    Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minority_group

"A minority is a sociological category within a demographic. Rather than a relational "social group", as the term would indicate, the term refers to a category that is differentiated and defined by the social majority, that is, those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society. "
    Which then goes on to generalize. That little word at the start doesn't change the sweeping and silly generalizations that came in the following sentences,
    No, but it means that any reply that begins "Oh, you're claiming ALL straight white men run countries" falls at the first hurdle...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And no, there aren't really gendered insults for men in the same way as there are for women, if only because there's no societal sexism for them to be a part of.

But a sexist insult is not specifically aimed at white straight women.

There are plenty of gendered insults for men - w*****, nobhead, d******* etc etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Um no. What insults exist exclusively for someone who falls into all three. Sexist insults towards women can apply to straight OR gay, any of any ethnicity.

The OP's criteria was insults that only apply to someone who fits three groups. Its a piss poor trick to apply that rule to one group then allow insults to be applied to others so as to claim something that is untrue.

Its AND vs OR.

Horseshit and you know it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And straight white men are vulnerable to the insults that are aimed at men, straight people AND white people.
    Which are...?
    rozafa wrote: »
    I disagree to an extent that every group is a a minority at least among some populations and communities and hence insulting and prejudicial names for them do exist. It just isn't all that common for white heterosexual non disabled men and most won't come across any discrimination because they are usually the 'norm' and the ones who hold the power in the societies where they exist.
    Yes, I totally agree with this, I was generalising to try and simplify things (which apparently hasn't worked :D) - I know there are insults like "breeders" aimed at straight people by some gay people, and so on. But like you say, they're so rarely encountered...
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good to hear the word heterosexual instead of the awful "straight".
  • LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas I imagine you face a daily deluge of abuse for not thinking too much and making crass generalizations.

I'm guessing you've never heard of the white working classes, or maybe you think nations are run by rich white proles?

Another poster who misreads posts. I've heard of the white working class given it's part of my background so your assumptions are wrong. I suppose this thread will attract moaning white males who want to moan about feminists , immigrants and how unfair the world is to white heterosexual males.

One look at threads on here when a racial incident happens , disability (although the OP didn't mention disabled people) or rape is discussed proves how minorities- I include British women in this group given how we didn't have the same rights of men until last century-are still seen as inferior by some .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    But a sexist insult is not specifically aimed at white straight women.

There are plenty of gendered insults for men - ******, nobhead, ******** etc etc
    You might need to give me some letters there :D

There are gendered insults for men, but 1) they're not backed up by a society that disfavours men, and 2) they're much milder than the equivalent gendered insults for women - compare "d*ck" and "c*nt". It's also complicated by the fact that "c*nt" is more often aimed at men, but it's not a coincidence that the "worst" word in our language is a word for female genitalia.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which are...?

I already listed some. In fact you list one in this very reply. So......(why are you asking me :confused:)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rozafa wrote: »

They might not come across collective group discrimination, but no doubt many of them will face individual discrimination for any number of reasons and by any number of other individuals/groups.