Sky Sports 3 HD and Sky Sports 4 HD on Virgin Media?

NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
Forum Member
Does anyone know why Virgin Media has not got SS3HD & SS4HD?

Comments

• GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »

because at this time i would suspect,Sky want to keep these channels for themselves,but that just my opinion,hopefully now that VM and Sky seem to be on good terms with each other,eventually they will share all the goodies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I was told explicitly by someone at detentions that they would coming, but they have been known to tell the odd porky!

My guess is that sky would keep them exclusive at least for the first few months of the football season .
  • bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    How retarded are Sky? Don't they realise the more available their channels are across all platforms, the more subscribers they will get???

Yeah, Sky way to go - wave the fancier cheese outside the hole and they will come out.... not when we've got ok cheese and other extra nibbles too! ;)

Did I maybe overdo that metaphor just a tad??
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mdlyons wrote: »
    I was told explicitly by someone at detentions that they would coming, but they have been known to tell the odd porky!

My guess is that sky would keep them exclusive at least for the first few months of the football season .

I think you mean retentions!!

At the weekend, Sky were running an ad camapign in the papers, that specifically made the point that all five HD sports channels would only be on Sky and that Virgin would have just two.

I would give it at least a year, or they'll get in trouble with the ASA.
  • fozzifozzi Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it really matter that Sky Sports News HD isn't available on Virgin? The SD channel is available and it is mostly text banners and running headlines/scores.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fozzi wrote: »
    Does it really matter that Sky Sports News HD isn't available on Virgin? The SD channel is available.

I expect as Sky News HD has a totally different on screen appearance to the SD version, SSN will take the same approach.
  • Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    I expect as Sky News HD has a totally different on screen appearance to the SD version, SSN will take the same approach.

Does it make the news any better?
    :yawn:
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it make the news any better?
    :yawn:

Yes, greatly. My friends now watch more news (Sky News HD) because of the HD version. Just what HD is all about - more information and more detail. They even made a promo about it.
  • johnboy726johnboy726 Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused: Hi Guys

just a quick question reguarding SS HD ON Virgin, I just got in touch with Virgin in respect of the SS HD channels and asked to have them put on my box, but they told me that I MUST have the SD Versions as well as the HD Versions is this right ?????? .

if this is the case what's the point of having to have the SD versions when all I will want to watch is the HD Versions I guess this is yet another money making scheme . :mad:
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, greatly. My friends now watch more news (Sky News HD) because of the HD version. Just what HD is all about - more information and more detail. They even made a promo about it.

Why would you watch more news just because its in HD if you like the news as i do, i would watch it to catch up on current affairs anyway still the same news only difference is the picture.! I also listen to the radio frequently wether its DAB or ordinary radio the news is the same,unless they commit special crimes to be shown in HD only.:D
  • Random PrecisionRandom Precision Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    johnboy726 wrote: »

just a quick question reguarding SS HD ON Virgin, I just got in touch with Virgin in respect of the SS HD channels and asked to have them put on my box, but they told me that I MUST have the SD Versions as well as the HD Versions is this right ?????? .

if this is the case what's the point of having to have the SD versions when all I will want to watch is the HD Versions I guess this is yet another money making scheme . :mad:
    We would all just pay the £10 to Sky or the £7 to Virgin for the HD versions. You have to subscribe to sports or movie packages to receive the HD version, surely it's easy to understand why?
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

its exactly the same rule with Sky,you have to subscribe to the SD versions to get the HD versions,the reasoning being that it would be unfair to someone who pays 20.50-26.00 for the SD versions for someone to pay 7.00 and get the same channels in HD without paying the SD price
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sky have been doing this for years successfully! and now in order the get the sports HD channels they now make virgin do the same. its is pure greed in my view but there you go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Since Virgin sold all of their channels to Sky, I would've thought that Sky would stop being pricks and actually give Virgin rights to show all Sky HD channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    bamindy wrote: »
    How retarded are Sky? Don't they realise the more available their channels are across all platforms, the more subscribers they will get????

Surely if their channels were available on all platforms they'd lose subscribers if anything?
  • tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    NEWLINEtv wrote: »

Because VM hasn't got the runny egg with the two extra bread soldiers.:yawn: Sky are keeping the runny egg sky breakfast to themselves.:sleep:
  • Master AquariusMaster Aquarius Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I do hope this is not a sign for the future now that VM have Sky Sports HD 1 & 2 - but the very first live football of the new season (Norwich Vs Watford) is on Sky Sports 3 in glorious SD!

So are Sky already playing 'silly buggers' with us?

Any thoughts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope this is not a sign for the future now that VM have Sky Sports HD 1 & 2 - but the very first live football of the new season (Norwich Vs Watford) is on Sky Sports 3 in glorious SD!

Any thoughts?

I have some thoughts;) Live Golf is on sky sports 1 HD

And sky sports 2 HD has the tennis on.

Not all of us subcribe for the football you know! funny as it may sound;),When the main football season starts the premiership will be on sky sports 1 HD so no i do not think sky are playing anybody around at the moment.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any thoughts?
    They will keep their top content on SS1 and SS2. They wouldn't dare move it.

But they will put as much on SS3/4 as they can get away with, which means a fair few Football League games (SS3) and the SPL (SS4).
  • Master AquariusMaster Aquarius Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I have some thoughts;) Test cricket is on sky sports 1 HD and as its an england test match should have more importance then a championship football match.

And sky sports 2 HD has the tennis on.

Not all of us subcribe for the football you know! funny as it may sound;),When the main football season starts the premiership will be on sky sports 1 HD so no i do not think sky are playing anybody around at the moment.

Actually, for accuracy the golf is on HD1 this evening 'smartypants' :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, for accuracy the golf is on HD1 this evening 'smartypants' :p

I know just corrected my posting.:p

Main point was though not all of us sub for the football although you would think from all the posts we all did,myself not too keen on the football.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume 3 and 4 HD are not on Virgin Media because Sky want to maintain a competitive advantage.
  • VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you watch more news just because its in HD if you like the news as i do, i would watch it to catch up on current affairs anyway still the same news only difference is the picture.! I also listen to the radio frequently wether its DAB or ordinary radio the news is the same,unless they commit special crimes to be shown in HD only.:D

Because of the side panels. The graphics are differently placed as well which allows you to keep up more on information. Not just because it's in HD, but because of all this extra information. Can't wait for SNHD.
  • Auld ReekieAuld Reekie Posts: 195
    Forum Member

I wasn't talking about the presentation.
    It was the content.
    ie does bad news look good?
    :cry:
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Any thoughts?

The picture does have more of a HD look through the HD box, though. I watched it and the picture was certainly better than it would have been through the SD box.

I just wish SSN was on HD, cos I watch that a lot and as has been said, the whole presentation is different, not just the quality of the picture.And I watch Soccer Saturday and that's only on SSN now.