Options

Celebs who have gotten rid of their regional accents

Bear TraderBear Trader Posts: 736
Forum Member
✭✭
There are quite a good number who have done away with the regional accent to sound more posh for want of a better word.

1 - Kim Marsh
2 - Beverly Knight

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robson Greene's trying to. You can tell he's a Geordie, but he's trying to be a very well spoken one. He actually sounds a bit daft, because he's trying to fight against his natural accent.
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeley Hawes apparently.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    Beverly knight you say :confused: she still has her brum/wolverhampton twang, lulu is my one she does'nt know if she is scottish or american these days:rolleyes:also john barrowman he just get's on my tit's with his american/scottish/english lilt it's :confused: can't think of anyone else but i'll get back to you:D:D:D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tj999 wrote: »
    also john barrowman he just get's on my tit's with his american/scottish/english lilt it's :confused: can't think of anyone else but i'll get back to you:D:D:D

To be fair to Barrowman he was born in Scotland but his family moved to the US when he was 8 so it's perhaps understandable that his accent is a mix of Scottish and American
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    What's worse, losing your regional accent or adopting that awful Americanism 'gotten'?

;)
  • Options
    Rikki65Rikki65 Posts: 8,449
    Forum Member
    Lulu, although technically its not 'regional'.
  • Options
    Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    To be fair to Barrowman he was born in Scotland but his family moved to the US when he was 8 so it's perhaps understandable that his accent is a mix of Scottish and American

He can still do it. He's properly bi-accented.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtDg23G1uc8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think it's interesting, the social currency perception of the speaker accents still have.

I'm all for people just speaking how they speak.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,030
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

I know:) but pick one and stick with it please:rolleyes::)
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    What's worse, losing your regional accent or adopting that awful Americanism 'gotten'?

;)

:D I was thinking the same!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tj999 wrote: »
    I know:) but pick one and stick with it please:rolleyes::)

It doesn't really work like that, when the accent is actually ingrained and not just a put on. :p
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheena Easton had bottles thrown at her in Glasgow some years ago when she debuted her LA accent
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Well the most obvious one would be Joss Stone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Ian McKellen doesn't sound like someone that was born in Burnley and raised in Wigan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Donna Air
    Billie Piper
  • Options
    MelodybearMelodybear Posts: 10,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cat Deeley
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

;)

I am Canadian :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    I am Canadian :rolleyes:

Okay then. Sorry.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Tess Daly, who presents on Strictly Come Dancing, uses the British accent of the majority of BBC TV presenters. Then suddenly her north eastern accent will come out and she will say "Jooges."
    No offfence intended here at all. She is lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay then. Sorry.:rolleyes:

You should be you muppet ;)
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baxk, back back in the day, Sue Lawley lost hers. She was from Dudley but at Uni somewhere else (I believe it was Bath or Bristol bout could be wrong). Anyway, she was stood standing at the bus stop with a friend when she said 'cum on buz', if you were a wumpty passenger this would make complete sense! Anyway her friend didn't understand a word of what she had said! This was in the day when regional accents on the Beeb were the exception rather than the norm.

I guess this is going to be followed with a few quotes of 'Sue who?!'...guess I'm showing my age!! :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    Tess Daly, who presents on Strictly Come Dancing, uses the British accent of the majority of BBC TV presenters. Then suddenly her north eastern accent will come out and she will say "Jooges."
    No offfence intended here at all. She is lovely.

Why would she have a North East accent? She was born and brought up in Derbyshire, her husband is from Bolton so like many people she probably has a mixture of accents including some South East England accent from living down there.

It is not uncommon for people who have connections to several areas to find their accent changes when speaking to someone from one of these areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melodybear wrote: »
    Cat Deeley

I'm not too sure on this one. Depending where she comes from she may not have changed it at all....or maybe I just don't hear an accent. I've lived in Great Barr/Wylde Green/Erdington all my life. The thing about Wylde Green/Sutton Coldfield is that there doesn't seem to be an accent at all, certainly not a brummy one. Or do I need my ears washing out?! Feel free to totally disagree with me, I'm not the sharpest tool in the box and often get things completely wrong! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Why would she have a North East accent? She was born and brought up in Derbyshire, her husband is from Bolton so like many people she probably has a mixture of accents including some South East England accent from living down there.

It is not uncommon for people who have connections to several areas to find their accent changes when speaking to someone from one of these areas.

Can I agree with this. I lived in Scotland for 18 months. This was 20 years ago. Even now if I start speaking to a Scottish person I just pick up a slight accent which stops as soon as the conversation is over.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's common for people who have lived away from where they grew up to modify their accents in order to be understood. It becomes like you are constantly using your telephone voice, and before you know it - that's your normal voice.