Options

Domino's Pizza Grimsby sacks delivery driver by text for wearing poppy.

jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
Forum Member
Absolutely terrible that he turns up for work and told to go home unless he takes his poppy of. So he returns home and a few day's later he gets a text telling him he's lost his job.

This story is doing the rounds on social media with lots of support. Also I do see by the comments that the franchise owner is Muslim and could possibly have had the effect on the policy not to allow poppy's.

https://www.facebook.com/dominospizzagrimsby/posts/893722174001414?pnref=story

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait, I thought uniforms were gospel and nothing can be allowed to sully them?

For what it's worth, I agree that denying freedom of expression is wrong but I bet the same people who agree with a school for not allowing charity pins will be the same people criticising Dominoes.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    And from the comments section from Dominoes themselves
    Hi Chris, Domino’s and our franchisees are fully supportive of the Poppy Appeal. We are happy for our team members to wear a poppy brooch when in store as they are fixed with a secure clasp. However, for food safety reasons, we do not allow staff to wear poppies that are held by a single pin, as the pins are very small and could easily detach.
    Our stores are food preparation areas and as such we absolutely cannot risk any foreign bodies falling into the food – we are sure our customers and staff members can appreciate that the safety of our food is paramount.

So it's a H&S reason/rule from the head office rather than the franchise owners themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wait, I thought uniforms were gospel and nothing can be allowed to sully them?

For what it's worth, I agree that denying freedom of expression is wrong but I bet the same people who agree with a school for not allowing charity pins will be the same people criticising Dominoes.

I was thinking that myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So it's a H&S reason/rule from the head office rather than the franchise owners themselves.

And we can close the thread
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Head office could have come up with a better deflection, the person sacked was a delivery driver not working in a food preparation area, the clasp that he used to secure the poppy is the same one used to secure his name badge. Rather foolish to not go down the route of "he was sacked by the franchisee for behavioral issues not connected to wearing a poppy".
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Dominoes Grimsby themselves, He was a delivery driver not in a food preparation job anyhow.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Curse you with your actual non-hysterical facts ..
    Also I do see by the comments that the franchise owner is Muslim and could possibly have had the effect on the policy not to allow poppy's.

I'll give that one a 3/10 ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Dominoes Grimsby themselves, He was a delivery driver not in a food preparation job anyhow.

Makes no real difference to the H&S rules the franchise owners were just following them.

That as said I have said before I don't see a problem with anyone wearing any charity badge on a work or school uniform but some like to stick to the rules and have a stupid rule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes no real difference to the H&S rules the franchise owners were just following them.

That as said I have said before I don't see a problem with anyone wearing any charity badge on a work or school uniform but some like to stick to the rules and have a stupid rule.

Conformity is for the dull of mind
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    So presumably they'd have allowed him to wear a poppy if it was secured with something other than a pin?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    If it were me, I'd be thinking of taking Dominos to the tribunal court for unfair dismissal.

Assuming that what has been said actually was the truthful version of events.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Plus all the info we have is coming from the guy who was sacked own FB page so of course he's going to only tell his one sided version of the story.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    So presumably they'd have allowed him to wear a poppy if it was secured with something other than a pin?

It was secured with a secure clasp of the same style as his dominoes badge,
    I presume one of the enamel ones that dominoes themselves say are fine for delivery staff here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20294019
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I might phone up Dominos later asking them about their poppy policy and then we'll know for sure.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    I might phone up Dominos later asking them about their poppy policy and then we'll know for sure.

I thought they were franchises?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    I thought they were franchises?

Yes, but they have a parent company based in Milton Keynes, so it's them I'll be phoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino%27s_Pizza_Group
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino%27s_Pizza
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a job has a uniform policy your job can't be that important if you can't bs bothered to obey it and would rather go home. That attitude alone justifies sacking someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd be thinking of taking Dominos to the tribunal court for unfair dismissal.

Assuming that what has been said actually was the truthful version of events.

I would agree poor chap especially just before Christmas. I would seek legal advice ASAP, I'm surprised this story hasn't been highlighted in the media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised this story hasn't been highlighted in the media.

Probably because a facebook post isn't generally regarded as a credible news source.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reading on he also says this
    As lovely as that is....I've not officially been dismissed....I've refused to go in after that being sent home and wouldn't want to now...thank you though xx

So if now he has been fired it's for not showing up to work rather than wearing a Poppy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably because a facebook post isn't generally regarded as a credible news source.

Reading a few of his posts the guy seems to have a attitude problem I wouldn't be surprised if this is just one of a long list of things he's gotten in trouble over and then he's one of the ones who claim it's always the other guy never him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reading on he also says this

So if now he has been fired it's for not showing up to work rather than wearing a Poppy.

Chris Stephenson Wow. Effectively dismissed via TEXT MESSAGE. Brilliant....jolly well done.

Like · Reply · 10 November at 15:44
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading a few of his posts the guy seems to have a attitude problem I wouldn't be surprised if this is just one of a long list of things he's gotten in trouble over and then he's one of the ones who claim it's always the other guy never him.

I can certainly agree with that train of thought having met many similar people over the years. They tend to create these situations out of nothing and a rather overblown sense of entitlement.
  • Options
    Malcolm_ReedMalcolm_Reed Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty clear that what this thread is telling us is that we have imported into our country peoples whose views, beliefs and cultures are totally alien to our own.

This is a symptom of a much more disturbing issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chris Stephenson Wow. Effectively dismissed via TEXT MESSAGE. Brilliant....jolly well done.

Like · Reply · 10 November at 15:44

And fired for NOT showing up for work by his own admission anyone would get fired if they just didn't bother showing up for days without a medical or goods reason and sulking is not a good reason.