Have you ever just stopped turning up to work without telling them?

Comments

• koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KFA wrote: »
    On second thoughts I'll do this instead :D

I got done for criminal damage and affray, and a nice little write up in the local paper. :)
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I walked out of a factory once after throwing a fire extinguisher at a supervisor and a computer monitor out a window. But I think they knew I wasn't coming back.

Cool story bro
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I walked out of a factory once after throwing a fire extinguisher at a supervisor and a computer monitor out a window. But I think they knew I wasn't coming back.

Is that because of the post-it resignation note stuck to the extinguisher?
  • x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a job in sales and marketing for AXA health insurance. I was sent to the next town to go sell the insurance. The stop where I needed to go was the stop after where I live. I just got off and went home instead. They didn't know until 9pm that night that I didn't go where they'd sent me and I was at home for the rest of the day. :D
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even when I have been leaving a job, I have always worked properly up the the very last minute.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I did it last year,lol. Im old enough to know better, but I had a job and it was rubbish. The girl was a complete bitch and the work was boring, so I phoned in sick and never went back. Found out not long after I was very anemic, so I used the time to get myself healthier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was younger I did this a lot. Seems we all have by the looks of things.

The main one that stands out is when I was a waiter (paying my way through college) and I heard one of the older staff complaining in an aggressive way about me being 'too slow' with the hoover! The HOOVER? FFS, looking back...I was 17...which 17 year old is quick with the hoover???
    I walked into the back, got my jacket and walked out. I imagined him having to take over the hoovering himself and it kept me satisfied as I walked all the way home.

SIGH>>>>>>>>>>YOUTH! LOL
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Earlier this year for a few weeks after getting a letter warning me of possible redundancy. I had to stop on the way to work a few times and try not to turn back the way I'd came.

It was understandable and tempting to at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've felt like it plenty of times - had some horrendous times in jobs!

But I have never done it. It's the way I was brought up - something just stops me. When I've quit jobs, I've always worked my notice as well.
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Oh I volunteered in a charity shop a while ago. The place was horrible, it was all cramped, there was an old guy upstairs in the sorting room who did nothing but eat sandwiches and take up half the space, it was a total waste of my saturdays so i gave up after a few weeks. Plus all the mess everywhere annoyed me.. Thinking back I shoulda stuck at it, for reference purposes.. Maybe not actually, il live
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! The job I applied for was an 'admin' job with 'some light packing'. Little did I know, that meant packing every single order for customers and not doing any admin work. On my last day, I was in the warehouse all day. I wasn't allowed to leave until all of the boxes were packed and the warehouse was cleaned and it was only me that was doing it. On my first day, I was berated for making mistakes or being too slow. I was packing in the warehouse and had to answer the busy phones all the time. I got grazes all up my arms from the cardboard! Why didn't they advertise for a warehouse/packing person and an admin?

I would leave nearly 45 minutes late, miss the train and wait half an hour for the next one. That meant I was getting home at nearly 8pm and the job was supposed to finish at 5:30.

I worked there for five days. Didn't get paid or anything. It was costing loads of money to get there.

I am 23 years old and have been working since I was 18. I had a job in admin for three years and got so much experience. I just felt like I was being treated really badly at this place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was 16/17 I had a part time job at a restaurant. I was still at sixth form but liked having my own money. On my first day back at sixth form, my dad called me to say my grandmother had died after a long battle with cancer. We're from Cyprus and my grandmother wanted to be buried there so I had to go (obviously, she was my nan!) and our tradition dictates that a burial has to take place within 3 days.

My sixth form were very understanding but my job wasn't - to quote the manager: "Who takes time off to go to their grandmother's funeral"

UMMMMM most normal people I would imagine.

I didn't go back after that.

A few months later the manager ran away with £5,000 of the restaurants money so he was obviously a moron anyway
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a job in a clothes shop. It was awful. I was only 17 and the managers were complete bullies. Used to be really patronising and really rude and the other colleagues were quite sad as well, very bitchy. One weekend, they wanted me to come in at 6am and open up the shop because the manager couldnt do it for some reason or other. I thought sod it, never showed up. Managers were frantically ringing me from about 8am onwards because the shop wasnt open. I knew there were about 3 sets of keys for the store so I didnt give a shit that I had 1 set. I posted the keys to the store a week later :D

Yes I did last year I justed stopped going into a part-time job I had. As the owner of the business was a cow. She tryed to tell who I could be mates with.

One weekend she told me I could not go away as she wanted to go away & she wanted someone to look after her dog.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 245
    Forum Member
    A guy I used to work with just disappeared one day. A lot of the colleagues there thought he was a bit strange, he was certainly very quiet... I always got on okay with him though. He simply didn't turn up one day. We tried phoning him but it would just ring endlessly. The weirdest thing was that, because of his visa (and it being a few years ago now), he was paid by cheque every two weeks. He was due to receive his cheque the second day of his "disappearance". We left a few messages on his answering machine basically just saying "no hard feelings, just come pick up your cheque or tell us where to post it". Never heard a word from him. He was normally asking where his cheque was, can he have it now please, the day it came into store, if not sooner, so it was especially odd that it was never collected.
    Very strange and really quite worrying tbh. I still wonder about what happened.
  • rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    I worked for a well-known coffee chain once. During the morning my shift leader who I hadn't worked with before was being really bitchy and sarcastic to me in front of customers. I had only been there 3 weeks so was still 'in training'. She told me to go on my lunch break. I went to the staff room for my lunch, which had CCTV monitoring the cafe area. I noticed it starting to get really busy and she was on her own. I considered going down to help her but just thought sod it and walked out the back door. As I left I decided to walk past the front of the shop to have a look. She was stood by the till in a panic. She glanced over, saw me and I just laughed and walked off.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I've never done this myself, but we had two occasions at my school where new members of staff just didn't turn up. Although years apart, the incidents took the same form. On the training day before term started, they attended and were given all sorts of help and support for the first day. On the following morning, no show. I remember one of the senior staff running round asking had anyone seen Mr X. When it was obvious that Mr X wasn't on the site, it became organised chaos to ensure that their lessons were covered.

As I'm not on the senior team, I have no idea how these situations were resolved but neither were ever seen again on the premises.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 70's when I was a teenager I had a job I was happy with in a small department. The firm had one boss who was absolutely horrible and he could never keep a secretary for long.

One of them left and he just breezed in to the department I was working in and said "from next week you are going to be my secretary". I worked until Friday lunchtime, when we got our week's wages in cash (happy days:D), went out for lunch and never came back. I was so happy that afternoon thinking of his apoplectic red face when he realised what had happened.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I never have just walked out of a job - :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    I've left quite a few jobs but only two have I ever walked out on during work time.

The first was a seasonal job as a Santa's helper. This guy was a strange old man who would constantly ask me questions about my personal life. I'd reported it and had been told that someone would speak to him but I have no idea if they did as he continued. One day I went to take my dinner break, changed clothes and told the security team that I wouldn't be coming back and why. They couldn't fault me.

The second is one I shouldn't have left as it was a great place to work. The manageress and assistant manageress were lovely women but i'd just had enough. I was drained emotionally and just walked out on my dinner break. The bosses did ring me quite a few times but I wouldn't answer my phone, just hid away at home.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once got a job in a department store in Doncaster, my supervisor was a few years younger than me, and only took up her supervisor position on the day I started, but she told me she's been doing it a few weeks, as someone told me she didn't want me to think I could 'walk all over her' because I was older. Douchebag.

Anyway on my first shift she told me that I would be doing the same hours, 10-4 the next week, so I didn't need to bother checking the rota. So went in the next week and everyone was a bit funny with me, and another colleague told me I should have been doing the 8-2. I was like fine, okay, sorry. Then I found out about half an hour later that supervisor had been slagging me off to all the other departments about my 'tardiness' and had even phoned her MUM moaning about me! So I didn't say anything to anyone, went upstairs, got my coat out of my locker and walked out. Spent the rest of the day cancelling their calls and eventually spoke to them and mentioned that maybe they shouldn't appoint people as 'supervisors' until they are mentally and socially able to do the job, that seems to be half of the problem these days.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RhiMi wrote: »
    I never have just walked out of a job - :o
    You're in the wrong thread then ! :p

I've left a few jobs without making any communication to them. The last one I said to the agency that I wasn't going back the next week .Even so they still had to pay me :)
  • LillithLillith Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first job after leaving school ended badly. I worked in a small office with my boss who was about 30, I was 18.The firm was a pot plant nursery. We worked lots of over time at Xmas to get all the orders to London and he gave me a lift home one night. In spite of having a wife and two kids he started declaring his undying love for me and a frantic snogging session ensued. That was the term we used all those years ago.

Next morning in the cold clear light of day he was struck with an attack of conscience, or possibly his wife, and from then on picked holes in everything I did and made my life a misery. It eneded with me throwing a bottle of ink, I said it was a long time ago, at him and flouncing out. My Dad cycled over in the afternoon and told them I would not be returning,my parents had received a sanitised version of what happened from me, and collected my insurance cards.

I hope you are reading this you wretch though you would be very old, I shall never forgive you. Not that I am bitter or anything.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    yes, a couple of times when I was younger. I was working in this one shop, they wouldn't give Christmas or new year off and wanted me to work August Bank Holiday even though the person I was working with had the Bank holiday and Christmas and New Year off, I thought it was a tad unfair and I was meant to be going away August bank holiday. So I said sod it and never went back, if they were going to be unfair about things then why should I bother.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in my local shop for three days. The shop owner had always seemed lovely when I was a customer. Turned out to be a right cow who talked a load of nonsense. It was a simple job, stacking shelves etc and really boring. She made till work sound like something I'd need to do a degree in before she'd let me near it. Then she gave me a big speech about how she doesn't limit the number of school kids allowed in the shop at a time because you have to trust them because ''children are our future''. She nipped to the loo and when she came back I was half way down the street. I don't like kids.

fortunately there's another local shop near me so I can get my cigs from there.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst job I ever had was in a call centre. It's the only job where I watched the clock from going in. When I got home in the evening I would cry a lot and at the week-end drank a lot. The job was awful, the training bad, some of my team members horrible. The only human bit was talking to the customers but of course we were supposed to do it in a minimum amount of time and also try and suggest they take up new offers - I like people and don't like exploiting them!

Anyway one Friday night I'd had enough so I left a note on my desk re. tying up some of my work tasks and saying I wasn't coming back as the job wasn't for me - when I walked out down the stairs I felt lighter than air - I'd walked out of that inhuman machine!