Options

David Hockney's Flotilla Painting

124»

Comments

• Options
    IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    A321 wrote: »
    The more I look at it the more I like it. It's very Hockney.

Agreed. It's growing on me. First I liked the rain and the bridge; then I liked the crowds and the flags and bunting; I don't dislike the barge so I guess as a whole, I like it well enough.
  • Options
    GreenJellyJamGreenJellyJam Posts: 1,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the background in the Hockney picture but the yellow and red barge is just horrible,it's like he gave up when it came to the point of adding that.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Pop_Noodle wrote: »
    You see when I look at the painting in your link, it leaves me cold. I don't understand it, am I missing something? I totally appreciate that people do get it, and I'm always left feeling a bit out of my depth, like I'll be shouted down for not 'getting' it.
    You should never be shouted down for what you like or dislike. Everyone has their own tastes.

I'm not saying I particularly like the Wallis style of art, I just highlighted it to show that Hockney isn't alone in the child-like look of his work.
  • Options
    peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why are there never any painters of those renaissance painting type talent any more? all modern art looks as if it has been churned out by little kids and bored students. i saw some hyper-real paintings in the paper the other day though, and they were just incredibly good.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peon wrote: »
    why are there never any painters of those renaissance painting type talent any more?
    peon wrote: »
    i saw some hyper-real paintings in the paper the other day though, and they were just incredibly good.

I think you just answered your own question.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonDoe wrote: »
    None of them painted this.

I like that. It's captured after the event, emotion is conveyed without the subject being present.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should never be shouted down for what you like or dislike. Everyone has their own tastes.

I'm not saying I particularly like the Wallis style of art, I just highlighted it to show that Hockney isn't alone in the child-like look of his work.

Aye, you're right, I just feel like a bit of a philistine, however I've just been mooching around on his site and some of his work is beautiful, the way he uses colours in unexpected ways, makes his work jump off the page. I'd love to see his work IRL.
  • Options
    gkecgkec Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saying a work of art could be done by a child does not mean it is not good. Children can paint without preconception. It takes a great artist to pull it off
    Like here