Cash Mashine Didn't Dispense Cash but Money has been taken out of my account

Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I went to a cash point this morning that is a different bank to what my account is with to withdraw some money. I put in my card, entered the pin and then selected the amount. Then a message came up stating it was the incorrect pin and asking to re-enter it which I did and my card was released but no money. As soon as I could, I rang my bank to inform them of the problem so they checked my account and confirmed the amount had been deducted from my account. The person I spoke to explained that they need to fill in a form to reclaim the money back from the other bank and that this could take up to 10 working days. I rang the bank that I attempted to withdraw from them later to inform them of the problem and they weren't aware of any problems with their cash machine. They also confirmed what my bank advised me about reclaiming the cash.

The reason I am posting this thread is to find out if this has happened to anybody else and whether or not I am likely to get my money back. Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

• c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened to me a few years ago, filled out the form and had to wait a few days while the back found out if there was an error in the balance of the cash point. Got the money refunded in about a week.
  • MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    I went to a cash point this morning that is a different bank to what my account is with to withdraw some money. I put in my card, entered the pin and then selected the amount. Then a message came up stating it was the incorrect pin and asking to re-enter it which I did and my card was released but no money. As soon as I could, I rang my bank to inform them of the problem so they checked my account and confirmed the amount had been deducted from my account. The person I spoke to explained that they need to fill in a form to reclaim the money back from the other bank and that this could take up to 10 working days. I rang the bank that I attempted to withdraw from them later to inform them of the problem and they weren't aware of any problems with their cash machine. They also confirmed what my bank advised me about reclaiming the cash.

The reason I am posting this thread is to find out if this has happened to anybody else and whether or not I am likely to get my money back. Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

This hasn't happened to me, but i'm sure i read a precious thread where this had happened & i'm sure it turned out that the money in the cash machines were counted at the end of each day... so the cash machine you used should be up the money that was taken out of your account since it seems to think its gone out but didn't actually dispense the money..
    Sorry this isn't that helpful but you should be able to get the problem resolved as long as the cash machine has a cash discrepancy that corresponds to your withdrawal.
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can recall a few threads on here about similar incidents I'm sure if you search you'll find something.

The operator of the ATM will count the cash in the machine and reconcile it with the expected balance. If there is a difference (ie too much physical cash) you are highly likely to get your money back without too much bother, otherwise you may have a fight on your hands.
  • Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just a bit anxious that the cash machine isn't 'up' at the end of today. How would I stand then?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm just a bit anxious that the cash machine isn't 'up' at the end of today. How would I stand then?

Just wait and see at the moment, no point worrying about something that has not happened.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    It happened to me once and the money went back in at the end of the day
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happened to my friend and she filled in a claim form, the cashpoint was balanced and showed it was up and she was promptly refunded.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happened to me with a Clydesdale bank (I'm BOS), filled in a form and money was refunded in 5 or 7 days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happened too me in my local post office cash machine. It went kaput and crashed and took it out then but no money. Told the post office and they said that it was right. I went too the bank the next day filled out a form. Got back from town and the post office had brought it around for me they tallied up and found theres was wrong. I informed the bank too say i got it back. But it still went back in so i was a bit up with my money that week.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    This hasn't happened to me, but i'm sure i read a precious thread where this had happened & i'm sure it turned out that the money in the cash machines were counted at the end of each day... so the cash machine you used should be up the money that was taken out of your account since it seems to think its gone out but didn't actually dispense the money..
    Sorry this isn't that helpful but you should be able to get the problem resolved as long as the cash machine has a cash discrepancy that corresponds to your withdrawal.

what's a precious thread:confused:
  • CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    what's a precious thread:confused:

One about which someone cares a lot :) (or a typo for "previous")
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruachan wrote: »
    One about which someone cares a lot :) (or a typo for "previous")

Ahhh I see!! Haha :D
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    It happened too me in my local post office cash machine. It went kaput and crashed and took it out then but no money. Told the post office and they said that it was right. I went too the bank the next day filled out a form. Got back from town and the post office had brought it around for me they tallied up and found theres was wrong. I informed the bank too say i got it back. But it still went back in so i was a bit up with my money that week.
    Nice you was a bit up with your money then eh? Good result, no point in being honest really.
  • EastEnders-1105EastEnders-1105 Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Mums Friend:
    She withdrew £100 from a cashpoint but she didnt take it in time but the was convinced she had taken it when she realised she went back to the bank and filled out a form and later on the bank phoned her and said that it got sucked back in the machine and they where £100 over limit so they gave it back to her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same thing happened to me yesterday. Withdrew £30 from a Baclays at Euston station. Machine took ages but made noises but no money was dispensed.

Rang HSBC (my home bank) and it seemed slightly easier procedure. They said that no need to fill in a form - they would provisionally refund my £30 in up to 5 working days and they would be raising the dispute with Barclays.

They also asked whether I had disputed an ATM transaction during the previous year.

Seems to me that I should be getting a refund no problem so fingers crossed. :)

They had to end the call by trying to flog a loan though which I thought was pretty off though.
  • TennisFreak08TennisFreak08 Posts: 9,451
    Forum Member
    coolmark18 wrote: »
    Happened to me with a Clydesdale bank (I'm BOS), filled in a form and money was refunded in 5 or 7 days.

5-7 days is taking the Mick, though. I wonder what took them so long.
  • FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The bank will check two things:

1. The journal roll which shows what transactions occurred at that time it will show if ATM had problem retained money etc

2. They will physically count the money/balance the ATM if there is an difference they will make any corrections.

Shouldn't be a problem at all they just have to get you to fill in form so they can process the claim, in your case your bank will contact the other bank with the claim, process is still the same you always put claim in to your own bank.

Money should be with you shortly :)
  • StripeysoxStripeysox Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    The bank will check two things:

1. The journal roll which shows what transactions occurred at that time it will show if ATM had problem retained money etc

2. They will physically count the money/balance the ATM if there is an difference they will make any corrections.

Shouldn't be a problem at all they just have to get you to fill in form so they can process the claim, in your case your bank will contact the other bank with the claim, process is still the same you always put claim in to your own bank.

Money should be with you shortly :)

Not all ATMs have paper journal rolls in these days, some are electronic and viewable by the ATM control team, not the branch. They will probably be balanced once a week or so, so no-one will know by the end of the same day whether the machine is over or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to me a few years ago and money was just refunded into my account a couple of days later.