ITV ratings crisis. What is going wrong?

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    TORPIDO 1 wrote: »
    its a lot better than the paradise which the viewers liked so they should like this if htey give it a fair chance
    For what its worth, the 2nd half of mr selfridge was better than the 1st half.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if the next step will be Throw!, Gemma Gibbons in a revealing outfit teaches celebs judo. Actually that would get a lot of male viewers if it had Kelly Brook and Suzi Perry on the mat.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even Celebrity Rowing.

'Celebs'/nonentities like Jackie Woodburne, Helen Flanagan and Jamie from Made in Chelsea will be taught to row by Olympic medalists Katherine Grainger and Kat Copeland.:D
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyB2007 wrote: »
    Or even Celebrity Rowing.

'Celebs'/nonentities like Jackie Woodburne, Helen Flanagan and Jamie from Made in Chelsea will be taught to row by Olympic medalists Katherine Grainger and Kat Copeland.:D

Kick! Jade Jones in a sexy outfit teaches Amy Childs, Jedward, the cast of Geordie Shore and Simon Bates how to do taekwondo. Actually watching Jedward being flattened could be quite entertaining.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last night (figs inc +1):

Dancing on Ice - 8.06m (31.6%)
    All Star Family Fortunes - 6.54m (24.4%)
    Dancing on Ice - 7.18m (25.8%)
    Mr Selfridge - 7.38m (28.7%)

No crisis there and a great start for Mr Selfridge. DOI had a solid start too and Family Fortunes did well.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

No crisis there and a great start for Mr Selfridge. DOI had a solid start too and Family Fortunes did well.

And they did well on Saturday too. Every channel has peaks and troughs. I'd say Channel 4 is in a worse state than ITV.
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i'm betting ITV will now be criticsed for having 4 shows rating consistently well all night but without any 10m stand out hits :D Previously the criticism was that ITV were over reliant on too few shows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    i'm betting ITV will now be criticsed for having 4 shows rating consistently well all night but without any 10m stand out hits :D Previously the criticism was that ITV were over reliant on too few shows

And look at the variety there too. Reality show, quiz, quality drama. That's a decent night of TV.
  • hopeandfaith06hopeandfaith06 Posts: 17,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW will still find fault, Mr Selfridge lost viewers throughout the episode, or DOI got a slightly lower rating than previous series, or Family Fortunes should have rated better due to a good lead in etc etc

I am glad Mr Selfridge did well, I enjoyed it, I don't think it needed to be 90 mins though, but its only for that one episode, I think it will flow better when its an hour long.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

cylon6 wrote: »
    And look at the variety there too. Reality show, quiz, quality drama. That's a decent night of TV.

clear strategy for ITV is to go young on Saturdays and appeal older on Sundays. so far so good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am glad Mr Selfridge did well, I enjoyed it, I don't think it needed to be 90 mins though, but its only for that one episode, I think it will flow better when its an hour long.

it was basically a pilot episode to introduce the characters
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    itv beat bbc1 in all day share yesterday despite having no live football
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was basically a pilot episode to introduce the characters
    As all first episodes are really. :D

I did enjoy it though.
    itv beat bbc1 in all day share yesterday despite having no live football

In peaktime the share was 28.1% for ITV1 and 20.6% for BBC1.
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW has already disapproved of Mr Selfridge over at the DS TV Shows Forum, I really enjoyed it however and I feel that ratings will grow even more n the coming weeks and with PVR/Catchup data.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Splash is starting to get some mo' from the papers following its surprise ratings success http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9784733/Eddie-Eagle-is-next-to-make-a-Splash.html

Interesting the way the papers first attack anything unusual, but then if viewers watch it, they backtrack. Reminds me of the Jim Hacker quote "I am your leader, tell me where you want to go" :D
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW has already disapproved of Mr Selfridge over at the DS TV Shows Forum, I really enjoyed it however and I feel that ratings will grow even more n the coming weeks and with PVR/Catchup data.

I agree. There's a lot of deserved positivity on the social media.

I expect to see another couple of million with timeshifting. In Sky homes alone 40% of drama is timeshifted and those who watch it via Sky's catch-up are now included in BARB's figures.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Itv's important 6 step strategy this fortnight is:

1. Splash launches well
    2. Dancing on Ice revamp is well received by viewers
    3. Mr Selfridge launches good and gets good reviews
    4. Great night out doesnt start terribly
    5. Splash second episode stays above 5m
    6. Mr Selfridge second episode stays within 0.5m of the launch

The first part of their step by step strategy has been accomplished. Five more obstacles to pass this fortnight in order to help turn around the ratings crisis. Current record after 1 obstacle is 100% successful.
    Points 2. and 3. in this 6-stage strategy have been accomplished. Dancing on ice got its worst ever launch ratings but fans claim the revamp was good. Mr SELFRIDGE got a good rating. Now it's points 4-6 which will need to be executed in order to completely turn around the ratings crisis.

Pete Fincham knows that prematurely celebrating success is not wise after what happened to Red or Black and Titanic...
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on both weekend days itv conclusivly won the slots they wanted and could win - the bbcs big pieces also deliver good ratings e,g casualty but itv are seemingly on the up at weekends now.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,141
    Forum Member
    Family Fortunes got it's highest rating for a non-Christmas episode in a matter of years.

Whether DOI can improve throughout the series is another matter, we were expecting that for XF and it never really happened, the ratings varied slightly every week.
  • TORPIDO 1TORPIDO 1 Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Family Fortunes got it's highest rating for a non-Christmas episode in a matter of years.

Whether DOI can improve throughout the series is another matter, we were expecting that for XF and it never really happened, the ratings varied slightly every week.

higher ratings than this time last year if i remeber correctly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so whats todays crisis? Lewis getting 6.6m; The Chase beating Pointless? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so whats todays crisis? Lewis getting 6.6m; The Chase beating Pointless? ;)

I'd say it's the 9m+ for Coronation Street. It should be getting 25m like The Olympic Opening Ceremony. :p

ITV will have a strong 2013. I said this in the ratings thread for months. Lots of potentially good dramas on the horizon plus returning hits like Foyle's War and Doc Martin.
  • leicslad4leicslad4 Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I would welcome a shift away from the current ITV schedule that is top heavy on soaps in prime time. I would bring back programming that served ITV well in the past such as minder londons burning and the bill.

I would also look for new programming at the weekends that would in time replace X factor.

What about bringing back quiz shows that instead of making celebrity versions involved the public. Family Fortunes,Winner takes all,sale of the century to name a few

The schedule is tired and needs a total overhaul. That is just my opinion.
  • terry66532terry66532 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if ITV are incapable of making anything decent , perhaps they should purchase rights to show some of the big tv shows from usa to gain popularity.
  • mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    leicslad4 wrote: »
    I would welcome a shift away from the current ITV schedule that is top heavy on soaps in prime time. I would bring back programming that served ITV well in the past such as minder londons burning and the bill.

all these shows lost millions of viewers and finished past their best.