Options

'Hypes' of pop music history

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    A fairly recent hype was Gary Go.

There was an awful lot written about him when he opened for Take That a few years ago, much of it from the angle of supposedly being Gary Barlow's protegé. He also did a cover of a Lady Ga-Ga song that she said was her favourite.

One hit single, and a few club hits in America, and he released a actual book of his tweets, as if we would want to pay money to read them! Talk about vain! :D

He doesn't seem to be having much success now though.
  • Options
    twellstwells Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This coming from a SuBo fan:D

Her 1st album was hype and in-all it was just a boring cover album

Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland and everybody else's albums, of an earlier time, were mostly covers. That was when when songwriters wrote songs and singers sang. Hard to say music has improved since then.

However, Susan Boyle is also fixed for life and is perfectly happy chugging along in a lower key. She is what she always wanted to be, a professional singer about to start her first 19 date tour of the UK in a couple of weeks and her first tour of the US in October.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    twells wrote: »
    Frank Sinatra, Barbra Streisand and Judy Garland and everybody else's albums, of an earlier time, were mostly covers. That was when when songwriters wrote songs and singers sang. Hard to say music has improved since then.

However, Susan Boyle is also fixed for life and is perfectly happy chugging along in a lower key. She is what she always wanted to be, a professional singer about to start her first 19 date tour of the UK in a couple of weeks and her first tour of the US in October.

That's not quite accurate. The UK 19-date tour, yes, is coming up, but there has been no confirmation of a "tour" of the US in October or any time. More likely she would be back in the US in October to promote her sixth album, and probably would follow the same pattern as has been done in other years: a few television appearances and that's it.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Pixie Lott is trying another comeback.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see Pixie Lott is trying another comeback.

lol, and you are suggesting there is some link between this and the title of this thread? ;-):D
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody has mentioned The Spice Girls
  • Options
    alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fairly recent hype was Gary Go.

There was an awful lot written about him when he opened for Take That a few years ago, much of it from the angle of supposedly being Gary Barlow's protegé. He also did a cover of a Lady Ga-Ga song that she said was her favourite.

One hit single, and a few club hits in America, and he released a actual book of his tweets, as if we would want to pay money to read them! Talk about vain! :D

He doesn't seem to be having much success now though.

Oh, I wondered what happened to him! I liked his track 'Wonderful' back when it was released.

I remember The Libertines being on the cover of NME every week too. Some of their songs were alright, but they did overhype them. In fact, I'd say Pete Doherty in general was overhyped at one time.

The thing about Duffy is, I remember when her first album was a huge success and she came out at around the same time as Adele. Adele had won that Brits Critics Choice thing and the BBC's Sound of 2008, and many people, including a lot of people on this forum, were queuing up to say Adele turned out to be all hype and that they should have given those accolades to Duffy instead. It turned out in the long run they were right that Adele would do better than Duffy. Not that I dislike Duffy. I think that terrible Coke advert, plus a terrible comeback single ('Well Well Well'), and I'm guessing some behind the scenes issues contributed to the second album not working out.

To be fair to Samantha Mumba, although she wasn't around long I still hear a few of her songs getting played on radio stations nowadays, which is more than can be said for a lot of the similar teenybopper bubblegum pop of that era.

I heard Little Boots' track 'Meddle' before she released her album, and I really liked it, so I saw that campaign unfold. I might be misremembering some of it, but it was a bit of a disaster. She was presented as one of those "makes records in their bedroom" artists, then she won BBC's Sound of 2009, which apparently they weren't expecting.

Then there was a bit a change of plan, as she went over to record a few songs with RedOne, who was a big producer at the time. Meanwhile, La Roux had a surprise hit with 'In For The Kill'. When Little Boots did eventually release an official single it was MAY, and they still seemed to be going for a introduction/slow burn thing with 'New In Town'. Then they released 'Remedy' which was one of the RedOne songs, (but not before filming an arty video for it, scrapping it and then having to film another video). It was a hit, but at this point Lady Gaga had been around for most of the year, and I think unfortunately a lot of people just saw her as a bit of a poor man's version of her.

There was Andrew WK, he seemed to be hyped a lot at one time, I think he only had one song released, 'Party Hard'.
  • Options
    kyleeekyleee Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Gagas 2nd and 3rd albums massively overhyped compared to how they sounded...and with artpop..how it sold😮
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reminded of these by the cancelled singles thread, Hear'Say. Rarely has the gap between hype and actual talent been wider. ITV even gave them a feeble tv comedy show on a Saturday night!

On their own, Suzanne, Myleene and the other girl seem passable actresses/tv presenters. But as a group they were awful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alienghost wrote: »
    Oh, I wondered what happened to him! I liked his track 'Wonderful' back when it was released.

I liked 'Wonderful' too, but maybe the talk of being Gary Barlow's protegé and Gaga's recommendation did him more harm than good once those two started to become distinctly uncool.

It was when looking him up on Wikipedia that I became aware of his book project...
    "My First Twook"
    In December 2011, Gary Go released his literary debut "My First Twook" — an illustrated collection of musings from his Twitter feed.
    The book contains over 100 tweeted thoughts from the Twitter feed of Gary Go, that were colourfully brought to life in illustrations by designer Flo Chaplin. In Gary Go's own words: "these are random thoughts, observations, musings. With an analogue heart, I wanted to bring some of these thoughts into the real world. Why not? What if the internet gets deleted!?"

If 'the internet' gets 'deleted', I suspect we'll all have more pressing worries than not being able to read the Tweets of Gary Go. :D
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned The Spice Girls

I was thinking this too. They were built entirely on hype, in my opinion.
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Ms Dynamite, although I really liked her debut the hype made her implode by the follow-up.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Michael Jackson's Thriller must have created a huge amount of hype around the time of its' release? The video for the single itself was premiered a late night on channel 4.

I felt it was a slow burner, the album had been out for over a year when the single was released (the 6th of 7), I think its sheer achievement grew with each single
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    There have been quite a few.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik came to mind recently. God they were awful... I hated their record as a child, and I hated it when I heard it recently, yet for some reason the media made them out to be something special, the future of music or something. Use of spoken word samples wasn't even that new, Paul Hardcastle had started it with 19.

Cabaret Voltaire and the Art of Noise had used SWS before Hardcastle, though.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm quite surprised that nobody has mentioned Emeli Sande.
    A couple of years ago she must have been the most hyped act in the UK.
    At more than one big ceremony she was brought in as the star act and she was everywhere a couple of years ago.

Not saying she's bad or anything, just that she appeared to be heavily pushed in our faces.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy Winehouse

Adele
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cabaret Voltaire and the Art of Noise had used SWS before Hardcastle, though.

And with Hip Hop it was quite routine. It was a staple element of the music.
  • Options
    Blossom85Blossom85 Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Girl Thing' were billed as the next Spice Girls but their debut single only reached #8 and the follow up didn't reach the Top 20 so their album was cancelled.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall the hype surrounding Artic Monkeys going 'mainstream' (i.e. in the run up to I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor's release) was ridiculous. It was an interesting exercise in sheep mentality, in that the hype came mostly, if not entirely, from the local fanbase and got exponentially bigger, with people who'd never heard them play fawning over them. Inevitably there was a backlash, again with many people who knew nothing about them hating them on principle. All this before they'd even released a single ! Quite impressive, really.

Similar story with The Darkness. Plenty of critics who should have known better hailed them as the saviours and future of British rock n' roll.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big Oasis fan but have to agree about Be Here Now.
    The hype surrounding that album was ridiculous and they were never going to live up to it no matter what they released. In the end the album was ok but it was nowhere near as good as the previous two.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Similar story with The Darkness. Plenty of critics who should have known better hailed them as the saviours and future of British rock n' roll.

I don't think The Darkness were 'hyped' as such, nor 'saviours'.

What they did was something that had not been done for 20 years. Grunge came along in the early 90s and killed 'party' rock absolutely stone dead. Totally wiped it out.

Bands like The Darkness and, to a lesser extent, The Quireboys, were resolutely 'old school' and could simply not be ignored by the business as they'd built up a huge fan base and buzz, before getting signed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I don't think The Darkness were 'hyped' as such, nor 'saviours'.

What they did was something that had not been done for 20 years. Grunge came along in the early 90s and killed 'party' rock absolutely stone dead. Totally wiped it out.

Bands like The Darkness and, to a lesser extent, The Quireboys, were resolutely 'old school' and could simply not be ignored by the business as they'd built up a huge fan base and buzz, before getting signed.

Of course they were. I clearly remember the mainstream media of the day always mentioning them as the brand new thing before I'd even heard them.

I don't dislike them, but it was obvious that they were hyped by the media at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else think Bastille are massively overhyped? I just don't get it, they're songs are alright but everything they do seems to get people aroused. I mean, what WAS that 'Of The Night' cover all about?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Of course they were. I clearly remember the mainstream media of the day always mentioning them as the brand new thing before I'd even heard them.

I don't dislike them, but it was obvious that they were hyped by the media at the time.

They weren't hyped to me. I'd not heard of them before the first time I saw them, supporting Def Leppard. A happy accident. I remember thinking "I've not seen anything like this for years!"
    By the time we saw them at the Guildford festival, they were about to release their debut.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member

Wasn't there an example of a release years ago when the artist went under some unknown name, but cleverly released clues created a hype that made people speculate that it was really somebody famous like McCartney or Lennon or something? Can't remember the details - it may not have been Beatles related - but I'm sure I heard something along these lines.

That might be the Residents. In Simon Reynolds' book "Rip It Up and
    Start Again", he says in the early 70s, because of the bands' anonymity, rumours
    circulated that the Residents were actually the re-formed Beatles
    recording in secret. The Res' Beatles-parodying was seen as hinting
    at their "real" identity.