Options

Jamie Oliver calls for crackdown on junk food being sold near schools

Comments

• Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Tut. "Rye Manhattan" is redundant. A real Manhattan has to be made with rye whiskey. /snooty

Indeed. A sure sign of a drinks menu catering for plebs.

Slightly, OT. I'm not a whisky drinker but am very curious to try Rye - maybe in a Manhattan or Sazerac. Is it that much different in taste to Scotch?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    He should practice what he preaches the podgy little hypocrite.

So someone who isn't slim/slimish, this means that they eat junk food? As far as I know, eating a lot of carbohydrates (the good type) and not burning it off will cause you to become more weightier. Unless, of course, you'll be slim no matter what.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile, the UK calls for a crackdown on Jamie Oliver being allowed a public opinion and trying to force his agenda down everyone's throats.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    So someone who isn't slim/slimish, this means that they eat junk food?
    Not necessarily, but since our Jim tells us explicitly how to make it, shows us by demonstrating himself making it then scoffs into it and proclaims how "pukka" it all is...I think we can assume he partakes of the junk ;-)
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously closing down shops won't work, but I agree with banning kids from them
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Jamie Oliver, I really hate him. Going to schools trying to "fix" the rebellious children, and doing all kind of crap nowadays. He is a chef for God's sake, not a lawmaker or psychologist or even a physician. He should stop trying to be all this and start doing what he does best -cook. I agree that children shouldn't eat junk food in schools and should eat as nutritional as possible, but who is Jamie (or anybody else) to say what should or shouldn't be sold near schools? And how near "near schools" should be? If it's not at school, then it should not be a problem. Besides, it would only make children want sugary drinks and junk food even more, and those who want it, and eat it, or drink it will find a way to get some or bring some from home no matter what.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charlie Brooker on Jamie Oliver

Check out Oliver's hypocrisy in the advert.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Mmmmmm......Look at all this healthy grub:

http://www.jamieoliversdiner.com/

Google reviews rate it at 2.6 out of 5.

http://www.london-eating.co.uk/44195.htm

"Avoid like the plague and go elsewhere".

I actually thought that the diner poster that you linked to was a mock-up done as a joke. Perhaps even using some of Jamie's recipes from over the years.
    But your second link implies that it's actually a real diner?

He's got some gall preaching to people how they should eat.
    It's like he's taking the piss out of people to their face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Really don't know why people consider this idiot. He tries to shove his healthy eating habits down everybody's throats and now he's trying to control what should be sold near schools and what not.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So someone who isn't slim/slimish, this means that they eat junk food? As far as I know, eating a lot of carbohydrates (the good type) and not burning it off will cause you to become more weightier. Unless, of course, you'll be slim no matter what.

You're right. It doesn't matter what food it is. Calories are calories.

I bet there's some snobbery going on. His food, whether it's laden with calories or not = good wholesome food. Convenience food that the riff raff eat = bad food.

If the issue is about people getting fat, then it doesn't matter what the food is as it's a simple of equation where if you put in more calories in than you burn as energy or use to repair your body, you get fat. It doesn't matter if it's Sunday roast or burger and chips.
  • Options
    riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish Jamie Oliver would just get back in his box and shut the lid tight! He is becoming a tiresome bore now, the impact of his "great work" is waning so now he has to come up with something else to keep his profile up. He is a chef, but like any other tradesman, you are only as good as your last job. This absolutely screams of a ploy to keep in the media, at least to me. Just go away now ^_^
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he should stop advertising for food shopping outlets, and promoting their cakes and the like if he feels its really so evil.

But I suspect his bank balance comes first.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that there should be a crackdown on Jamie Oliver opening his mouth.....
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He reminds me of Gwyneth Paltrow and that crazy website of hers. Became rich, doesn't need to worry about the general day-to-day issues that the average folk do, ends up with lots of free time and doesn't know what to do with it. Somewhere along the line they get it into their heads that they know the answer to everything and can therefore fix the world by gifting the lesser classes with their superior knowledge.

To the rest of us, though, they just seem like self-absorbed, irritating tits who like the sound of their own voice too much and haven't got a clue about the world outside of their ivory towers.

Its kinda like the modern equivalent of watching some inbred, crazy old Lord harp on about how he can't grasp why the peasants just don't eat as well as he does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    The nation doesn`t need some rich, chubby mockney telling them what to eat.

!

Except it does. We live in a competitive world.

Nation A. Fit and healthy.
    Nation B. Fat and unhealthy.

Which nation will prosper, and which will sink.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt but a gobby little mockney slobber jockey.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    I'd say the lack of exercise is a more important issue these days, That's why people are getting bigger being sat on their bottom at home and in cars when out.

Sorry, its food. A Mars bar is 300 calories. That is a hard 30 minute run. If you want to lose weight, eat less.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »

The one that ignores Jamie Oliver the most.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you want to be told what and when to eat, like a pet, by someone shown to hypocritically make, sell and advertise the sorts of foods he criticises others for foisting on the GBP?

I would imagine Oliver would be more than willing to manufacture a range of branded dog leads (only £100 each!!) for those types who want to give up their free will about what they put in their gob. Walkies!!! :D
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, its food. A Mars bar is 300 calories. That is a hard 30 minute run. If you want to lose weight, eat less.

I bet there wasn't anywhere near the amount of obsession about food back in the 1800s as there is now. I also wonder how many weighty people there were back then as well. No cars and plenty of exercise in the form of walking.
  • Options
    trigpointtrigpoint Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He doesn't explain how far near is. Without a number in yards, metres, miles, kilometres his staement is totally meaningless.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should not build schools near to chippies.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet there wasn't anywhere near the amount of obsession about food back in the 1800s as there is now. I also wonder how many weighty people there were back then as well. No cars and plenty of exercise in the form of walking.

Well there was, but from the opposite end - malnutrition, rickets and starvation were commonplace. Then there was the widespread adulteration of food to increase profit - especially in the food the poor could afford like flour and bread.

Of course the seriously wealthy could afford to eat themselves to an early grave but in an age where usually something would finish you off before your time I suppose no one was going to turn down a second helping if offered.
  • Options
    Rogue277Rogue277 Posts: 341
    Forum Member

William Banting?

Born: December 1796 – Died: 16 March 1878)

He was severely obese and tried everything to lose weight through exercise and the traditional low fat diet. He even rowed across the thames.
    The only thing that worked for him was a low carb diet.
    In 1863, Banting wrote a booklet called Letter on Corpulence, Addressed to the Public which contained the particular plan for the diet he followed. It was written as an open letter in the form of a personal testimonial. Banting accounted all of his unsuccessful fasts, diets, spa and exercise regimes in his past, then described the dietary change which finally had worked for him, following the advice of a physician. His own diet was four meals per day, consisting of meat, greens, fruits, and dry wine. The emphasis was on avoiding sugar, saccharine matter, starch, beer, milk and butter. Banting’s pamphlet was popular for years to come, and would be used as a model for modern diets.[4][6] Initially, he published the booklet at his personal expense. The self-published edition was so popular that he determined to sell it to the general public. The third and later editions were published by Harrison, London. The pamphlet's popularity was such that the question "do you bant?" referred to his method, and eventually to dieting in general.[3] Banting's booklet remains in print as of 2007.[7][8]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Banting
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. A sure sign of a drinks menu catering for plebs.

Slightly, OT. I'm not a whisky drinker but am very curious to try Rye - maybe in a Manhattan or Sazerac. Is it that much different in taste to Scotch?

I'm not much of a whisky drinker either, but I really like whiskey sours, or if you like a negroni you can swap the gin for rye to make a boulevardier. But it has to be the good stuff- 51% minimum. It's supposed to be closer to bourbon than it is to Speyside or Highland Scotch, but spicier as traditional Canadian rye is known for the taste of vanilla. I have a friend who swears that cherry pie and rye are a match made in heaven, and she's got a bottle of straight rye, which I've never had, waiting for us when I see her in July. Should be fun.