Comments

• L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12th, of course. ;-)
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking at all the other favourites in the first half - Austria, Armenia, Sweden, Ukraine, Greece - I really think Molly can genuinely win this. The only other country I could see knocking her out is the Netherlands.
  • rorybbrorybb Posts: 3,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    if uk gets a top ten finish then shes done well ....and il admit i was wrong ..but i have watched the voting and its always the same every year

You obviously don't watch very closely then , the last few times the UK got 12 points who were they from? Oh yeah . Bulgaria and Greece! not Ireland ( which hasn't given the Uk 12 points in YEARS ) or France or any of it's neighbours. Also if it's always the same then how did Germany won? how did Denmark win last year? How did the UK come 5th in 2009? How is the winner more often then not a western european country ( where does this stupid imaginary outdated line even begin btw? ) in the last few years alone , Norway , Sweden , Germany and Denmark. How come Macedonia , Albania , Latvia , Lithuania , Estonia , Georgia , Israel failed to qualify , but Austria , Netherlands , Switzerland , Iceland , SAN MARINO and Hungary did? If you watch it all oh so intently and close then explain me that! :D
  • Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ireland have only ever given the 12 points once in the history of the contest.

I'm thinking that it's likely they could give us our second 12 again this year.

Who knows?
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is our song very original? Making it really hard to compare to the others?

The others, I can easily rank them but ours I just don't know if its good enough. In previous years when I've had this feeling we've ended up doing badly.

itunes sales would suggest we're not as good as we think we are and the winner will come from Austria/Netherlands/Sweden/Armenia or Hungary. Are we really better than those songs?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Ireland have only ever given the 12 points once in the history of the contest.

I'm thinking that it's likely they could give us our second 12 again this year.

Some ( not all , or even a majority ) of Irish people would never vote for the UK because of political history hence the "neighbourly" voting not being a huge thing in Ireland ( imo they will give 12 to Denmark ( they do it a lot ) or Poland )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    Some ( not all , or even a majority ) of Irish people would never vote for the UK because of political history hence the "neighbourly" voting not being a huge thing in Ireland ( imo they will give 12 to Denmark ( they do it a lot ) or Poland )

Usually the UK does get some points from Ireland (except for Jemini of course), normally between 4-8 points, but our entry is the best in years so I'm optimistic that the UK can get a 10 or 12 off of them.

That's my way of thinking anyway. I hope it comes true.
  • itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it just me or is our song very original? Making it really hard to compare to the others?

The others, I can easily rank them but ours I just don't know if its good enough. In previous years when I've had this feeling we've ended up doing badly.

itunes sales would suggest we're not as good as we think we are and the winner will come from Austria/Netherlands/Sweden/Armenia or Hungary. Are we really better than those songs?

Netherlands and Sweden are contenders. Austria won't get many votes from the Eastern Europeans/anti gay countries. Armenia will become exposed as Aram doesn't have the best live vocals, which the jury may pick up on. Hungary doesn't feel like a winning song at all. I mean I love it, but I don't see it being universally loved as the lyrics and choreography between the dancers is quite dark compared to the other songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    Usually the UK does get some points from Ireland (except for Jemini of course), normally between 4-8 points, but our entry is the best in years so I'm optimistic that the UK can get a 10 or 12 off of them.

That's my way of thinking anyway. I hope it comes true.

I hope so too! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Netherlands and Sweden are contenders. Austria won't get many votes from the Eastern Europeans/anti gay countries. Armenia will become exposed as Aram doesn't have the best live vocals, which the jury may pick up on. Hungary doesn't feel like a winning song at all. I mean I love it, but I don't see it being universally loved as the lyrics and choreography between the dancers is quite dark compared to the other songs.

I think it should be pointed out that Eastern Europe is not just a complete block of homophobes , there are also many very open minded people! So don't rule it out! Also just saying , Austria itself is not a particularly gay friends country ( actually it's backward in lots of social ways ) so I don't know why people act like it's so much more tolerant then Eastern Europe ( I'm not talking about Russia or Ukraine so much as the Balkans , The Baltics and places like Hungary and Poland )
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there's a good chance Ireland will give the UK 12 points on Sat, but your big competition for it is The Netherlands. That's right down our street. American style country music is probably more popular in Ireland than any other European country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rorybb wrote: »
    I think it should be pointed out that Eastern Europe is not just a complete block of homophobes , there are also many very open minded people! So don't rule it out! Also just saying , Austria itself is not a particularly gay friends country ( actually it's backward in lots of social ways ) so I don't know why people act like it's so much more tolerant then Eastern Europe ( I'm not talking about Russia or Ukraine so much as the Balkans , The Baltics and places like Hungary and Poland )

Estonia is by far the most liberal of the former Soviet countries and the Baltic states, culturally, ethnically and linguistically they are closest to the Finns, much more so than to Latvians and Lithuanians. That said there is a sizeable Russian minority in Estonia and opinion polls have shown that ethnic Estonians are more LGBT friendly than the Russians there. In fact Estonians see themselves as a Nordic rather than a Baltic country.

I still don't see Russia, Ukraine or Belarus giving Conchita many votes though, but I could be wrong.
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've changed my mind. 8th!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    As Ireland gave the UK in 97 pre televote, Ireland have never given the UK 12 points since televoting started...mind you pre 1997 i always thought that the Irish spokesperson auditioned for the part with the line 'United Kingdom 1 point' as that seemed to be the standard vote.

One thing that worries me most about the UK is the staging, as the BBC seem useless at staging .Looking at rehearsals Molly seemed to have the same blue backdrop as Belgium, and i thought that it was just too much..the same OTT backdrop for ireland too tonight..instead of filling the background with fancy patterns like Belgium and Ireland, id rather something simpler.
    I'm hoping that the early rehearsales were just using any old backdrop, because the swirly blue celtic one is awful.
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    I feel she will come 10th
  • doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing 4th
  • DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm saying 8th now
  • BBTIMEBBTIME Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Realistically after seeing the semis, I think we will end up 4th/5th.
    Netherlands and Austria will be the talking points after their performances, Sweden and Armenia also having a lot of support. Be surprised if those aren't the top 5 at the end of the night.

Then again, it's Eurovision and as much as we can analyse you can't ever really be sure. Unless you've got an euphoria or satellite in the mix!
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBTIME wrote: »
    Realistically after seeing the semis, I think we will end up 4th/5th.
    Netherlands and Austria will be the talking points after their performances, Sweden and Armenia also having a lot of support. Be surprised if those aren't the top 5 at the end of the night.

They are the main competition I agree
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are performing last?

Bit of a rubbish draw to be honest, people are getting bored by the final song
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    We are performing last?

Bit of a rubbish draw to be honest, people are getting DRUNK by the final song

Fixed that for you ;)
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing the running order along with seeing the semi finals I think I have to change to 4th or 6th.
    Since she's last most people will be getting the phone ready to vote for who they've decided, but there are quite a few ballads before hers so it will stand out among those it's so different to all the songs. It could be a good thing she's last.
  • hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I will guess at 7th, would like to think we could do a little better, but will wait and see.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,596
    Forum Member
    I'm going to predict a Molly victory but in a close battle against whichever country finishes in 2nd place (my prediction for 2nd is Austria).
  • fredthespiderfredthespider Posts: 542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I predict 5th. Sadly, I really don't think she will beat Austria who are getting a ton of publicity and love right now.