Worthy 'Legend Slot' Performers at Glasto

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Who

Led Zeppelin if they perform live again.

David Bowie.

The Rolling stones have already played so i have not included them.

All of those would be headliners, not the legend slot.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    All of those would be headliners, not the legend slot.

Yes true enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Lionel Richie has a very good chance. I read that his set at this year's Bonnaroo in the US went down a storm and I think he'd do brilliantly on a hazy Sunday afternoon.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RaiseItUp wrote: »
    I think Lionel Richie has a very good chance. I read that his set at this year's Bonnaroo in the US went down a storm and I think he'd do brilliantly on a hazy Sunday afternoon.

Surely he'd have to play on a Sunday Morning instead?! :D
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra Burke
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Top three suggestions so far:

Barry Manilow
    Lionel Ritchie
    Diana Ross
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Fogerty
  • TreyCTreyC Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kate Bush.
  • cliveb2005cliveb2005 Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil Sedaka, Neil Sedaka, Neil Sedaka !! :D
  • saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i reckon barry manilow next year!
  • chrisgeorgiou46chrisgeorgiou46 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    Alexandra Burke

I realise you're trolling us but I thought she sounded amazing in The Bodyguard in the west end :D
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tina Turner (if she still performs), maybe Carole King and James Taylor together
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    where do you get the stats for this? i'm sure the correct answer is paul macartney, who also releases records on a regular basis and has done for over 50 years. he plays absolutely ridiculous size gigs at times

She has the two highest grossing tours for a solo artist although I'm sure Paul has tallied up actual concerts in his time.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    some wonderful suggestions:

carole king, tina turner, diana ross, lionel ritchie, kate bush, joni mitchell, cher, cyndi lauper
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a much better idea. Forget about having a "legends" slot altogether, then we won't have to suffer listening to all these over-rated old has-beens.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    She has the two highest grossing tours for a solo artist although I'm sure Paul has tallied up actual concerts in his time.

so nothing to support the "Madonna is the biggest touring solo act ever" part you mentioned then, so it's untrue as I thought?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »

I thought Roger Waters had the the highest grossing tour by a solo artist, also could be considered for the legend slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    I thought Roger Waters had the the highest grossing tour by a solo artist, also could be considered for the legend slot.

loads of different people have held the record as it's not index linked to inflation. it's a bit like the nonsense every year of a new movie breaking the all time record even though there are less bums on seats than years ago, so a movie from about 70 years ago like gone with the wind will lose out to some michael bay explosion-fest, whereas index linked it beats everything else

so the record changes year on year, it's more a sign of the biggest tour of the year. rogers tour costs a fortune to put on. it's one of the most amazing live spectacles ever performed but i don't see the wall as being ideal glasto material. roger waters solo doing the hits of floyd maybe, or even DSOTM live plus hits but not one single double album. plus he wouldn't be able to have the full stage setup at glasto for obvious reasons.

someone mentioned floyd and i would have said never, but the new gilmour album has turned out to be a new floyd album based on the big spliff unreleased material from division bell, which is why the rerelease is devoid of outtakes. however touring without rick would be even more like gilmour solo than floyd as even rick played with dave on daves solo tour. and roger getting back seems very unlikely, moreso without rick, even though rick left the band officially because of roger. and i doubt gilmour would headline as a solo artist, even playing floyd as he's never played large shows as a solo act, although his version of floyd was pretty much a gilmour project

fleetwood mac could headline though, or the eagles
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rogers tour costs a fortune to put on. it's one of the most amazing live spectacles ever performed but i don't see the wall as being ideal glasto material. roger waters solo doing the hits of floyd maybe, or even DSOTM live plus hits but not one single double album. plus he wouldn't be able to have the full stage setup at glasto for obvious reasons.

Roger Waters played Glastonbury in 2002 with a set of part PF, part solo material.

Sticks in my mind because I found my elderly neighbour watching it. "Now this is what I call beautiful music!" he said. You would need to have known him to appreciate how extraordinary this was :o:D
    fleetwood mac could headline though, or the eagles

I think Fleetwood Mac could very well be the band Michael Eavis was talking about when he said "He's British, but the band's not British any more".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    so nothing to support the "Madonna is the biggest touring solo act ever" part you mentioned then, so it's untrue as I thought?

http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/89719

Billboard compiled a list of all time tour acts, Madonna came in 4th, behind Rolling Stone, U2 and Bruce Springfield. Bruce is biggest solo act but if you see the numbers in the Billboard article, Madonna has done far less shows than them. If she did the same amount of shows like the Stones, U2 or even Bruce, she will far exceed them and be Number 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y_Me wrote: »
    http://m.billboard.com/entry/view/id/89719

Billboard compiled a list of all time tour acts, Madonna came in 4th, behind Rolling Stone, U2 and Bruce Springfield. Bruce is biggest solo act but if you see the numbers in the Billboard article, Madonna has done far less shows than them. If she did the same amount of shows like the Stones, U2 or even Bruce, she will far exceed them and be Number 1.

that's not "all time" it's only from 1990. so it misses out on the big tours from the 70s and 80s when springsteen was in his prime. remember in the 80s he was one of the biggest stars, not quite the prince/Madonna/Jackson superstar but not far of it for a time. also of course this knocks the figures for macca and other older acts out

as for the same number of shows bit, you could say that about any of them, but it's a bit of a pointless argument. it's like saying if I had more money I'd be richer than you

but it's interesting stats. especially all the artists who aren't well known in the uk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Roger Waters played Glastonbury in 2002 with a set of part PF, part solo material.

Sticks in my mind because I found my elderly neighbour watching it. "Now this is what I call beautiful music!" he said. You would need to have known him to appreciate how extraordinary this was :o:D

I think Fleetwood Mac could very well be the band Michael Eavis was talking about when he said "He's British, but the band's not British any more".

when I was typing I thought he did Glastonbury, but couldn't remember when. he's done a few festivals in the last 10 or so years and a few have been on tv. that sounds like the tail end of the tour which had the official dvd. he's never done a tour not playing PF stuff, but then he wrote the songs (sometimes with a bit of help) so why shouldn't he play them

I wonder if mac will play. I didn't think that's who he was talking about though. I can't remember if they are together or apart or split up or what this week, so by this time next year it could be anything. but the classic rumours lineup would be great
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    that's not "all time" it's only from 1990. so it misses out on the big tours from the 70s and 80s when springsteen was in his prime. remember in the 80s he was one of the biggest stars, not quite the prince/Madonna/Jackson superstar but not far of it for a time. also of course this knocks the figures for macca and other older acts out

as for the same number of shows bit, you could say that about any of them, but it's a bit of a pointless argument. it's like saying if I had more money I'd be richer than you

but it's interesting stats. especially all the artists who aren't well known in the uk

I get your point but you gotta admit Madonna is up there with the big boys. A great accomplishment for a female pop star. She will fit well in the headlines act. She did pretty damn well in Live 8 and Live Earth shows. (forgotten the exact names).

Would love to see Bruce do Glastonbury, Tina Turner too. Gloria Estafan and the Miami Sound a Machine should make an appearance :D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Y_Me wrote: »
    I get your point but you gotta admit Madonna is up there with the big boys. A great accomplishment for a female pop star. She will fit well in the headlines act. She did pretty damn well in Live 8 and Live Earth shows. (forgotten the exact names).

Would love to see Bruce do Glastonbury, Tina Turner too. Gloria Estafan and the Miami Sound a Machine should make an appearance :D.

she's definatley one of the biggest at the moment, just not the biggest.

I actually thought she was awful at live 8. were you actually there? the problem with hyde park is it's massive and she just didn't come across well at all. the thing with the kid was awful. it was strange as people were texting and it seemed that she came across a lot better on tv than in the flesh. most of the other acts got the audience going

I thought tina turner had retired again? Gloria Estefan would suit one of the smaller stages but I don't know if that would suit her. springsteen did glasto in 2009 btw