NY Radio Host assaulted, goes on "racist" twitter rant

Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A radio host for SiriusXM has unleashed a racist rant on Twitter after he was allegedly punched in the face by a black woman while taking photos in Times Square.

Anthony Cumia, who is one half of the SiriusXM's comedy show The Opie & Anthony Show, made the foul-mouthed rant, in which he called the woman a 'c***' and an 'animal b****' early on Wednesday.

He explained on Twitter that he was trying to take photos of the area in New York City on Tuesday night when the unidentified woman was caught in the frame.

She objected to being in the images and punched him multiple times as she called him a 'white motherf***er', he claimed on his Twitter feed.

He uploaded photos that he claim show her throwing punches at him, branding her a 'c*** animal'.

'Savage violent animal f***s prey on white people,' he continued in the hours-long rant. 'Easy targets. This C*** has no clue how lucky she was. She belted me 10 times. I had a gun.

'She's lucky I was a white legal gun owner or she'd be dead. Then 5 blacks started giving me s***!'

'I hope a home boy beats her to death,' he added. 'They aren't people.'

In another post, Cumia wrote: 'There's a deep seeded problem with violence in the black community. Try to address it and you'll be exiled to racistville. But it's real.'

When Twitter users asked why he didn't press charges, he responded that there were no police officers around and that she said she would claim he had sexually harassed her if he reported it.

'Lying c***,' he wrote. 'I hope she gets shot in her ass f*** face. Ugh.'

He added that there was no point taking it further with authorities because he was a white guy and she was a black girl.

'It's really open season on white people in this day and age,' Cumia wrote. 'No recourse. Fight back and you're a racist. The predators know this. Good luck.'

source

Wondering what people's thoughts would be on this...he doesn't outright condemn all black people, but insists there are issues with crime and violence in their community. The statistics certainly back him up, but the media's first response is (of course) to label him racist and focus entirely on his angry comments and treat the assault as an afterthought at best. It's also notable that he has being saying these kinds of things on his show for years without the media giving a shit, but now a twitter rant gets him all their attention.

Interested to see how this unfolds as he is one celeb who will not be hounded into making a forced fake apology. What do you make of his comments? Does he have a valid point or is he simply a vile racist?

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    His show The Opie & Anthony Show has faced hefty fines in the past for its offensive content......
    ........It more pissed me off than anything,' he said. 'Validated my beliefs.'
    As he posted his rant, he received mixed responses, with some people pointing out that she had mentioned the color of his skin, while others attacked him for being racist.
    Predictably, he had no time for that.
    'I was assaulted and used "mean" words on Twitter and I'M the bad guy in all this?? Lol!' he tweeted.
    After reports emerged about his rant, Cumia denied he was racist and was simply giving his attacker the lack of courtesy she deserved.

Cumia has been on air with his co-host Greg Opie Hughes for 20 years in a career that has been dogged with controversy.
    The show has been fined by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) twice.
    They were fined $21,000 for shows from between 2000 and 2001, in which a 17-year-old girl was told to take off her underwear and rub a telephone over herself.
    In 2004, Viacom - the parent company of CBS Radio/Infinity-owned stations - had to pay $3.5 million to cancel all pending indecency claims against the show after a segment called 'Sex for Sam' encouraged people to have sex in public places.

whichever, he certainly sounds like he`s got the vile.
  • The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real loser here is football.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whichever, he certainly sounds like he`s got the vile.
    Maybe but aren't you just doing what the media is? Focusing entirely on the man's character and not the issue itself.
  • TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can hardly blame him ranting in anger. Remember the riots a couple of years ago, it was a free for all then.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's probably just saying what a lot of people over there are thinking tbh.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Maybe but aren't you just doing what the media is? Focusing entirely on the man's character and not the issue itself.

probably, it`s visceral.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has now been fired for saying nothing that he hasn't been already been saying on-air for years. The power of twoutrage.
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't say anything stupid, you won't get in trouble. It's pretty simple.
    When he mentioned he was white, it became about race. It's a clever reverse tactic but unfortunately for him painfully obvious. The "big man" talk about him having a gun, and not reporting her cos there were no police and because of her threat to make it about sexual assault are pretty lame. If the punches were serious enough report it. And what was he going to do with his gun? Kill her? I'd love to see if he'd have got off for "self defence".

Most likely he'll get a job somewhere else but it seems he had to get sacked. This sort of nonsense is what's wrong with the world, not what's right with it. You can talk about the riots or about racial issues without resorting to the language he used. He went way too far.

And in the end who really cares?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    They're both vile idiots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Don't say anything stupid, you won't get in trouble. It's pretty simple.
    When he mentioned he was white, it became about race. It's a clever reverse tactic but unfortunately for him painfully obvious. The "big man" talk about him having a gun, and not reporting her cos there were no police and because of her threat to make it about sexual assault are pretty lame. If the punches were serious enough report it. And what was he going to do with his gun? Kill her? I'd love to see if he'd have got off for "self defence".

Most likely he'll get a job somewhere else but it seems he had to get sacked. This sort of nonsense is what's wrong with the world, not what's right with it. You can talk about the riots or about racial issues without resorting to the language he used. He went way too far.

And in the end who really cares?
    Well I for one do. I listened every day. The thousands of people cancelling their subscriptions probably do as well I reckon.

Race is an issue that is mentioned very often on the O&A show so there was no real "tactic" on his part. However regrettable, the stats on black people and violence/crime back up a lot of what he said. He has said much worse things over the years on air with no action taken. It seems it was just his turn to be swallowed by the new wave of faux outrage. He didn't have to be sacked at all, the company took the coward's way out to appease people who weren't even their customers in the first place, now their actual customers are cancelling in droves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I for one do. I listened every day. The thousands of people cancelling their subscriptions probably do as well I reckon.

Race is an issue that is mentioned very often on the O&A show so there was no real "tactic" on his part. However regrettable, the stats on black people and violence/crime back up a lot of what he said. He has said much worse things over the years on air with no action taken. It seems it was just his turn to be swallowed by the new wave of faux outrage. He didn't have to be sacked at all, the company took the coward's way out to appease people who weren't even their customers in the first place, now their actual customers are cancelling in droves.

If faux outrage is disagreeing with someone talking about themselves being white and having a gun, then I have to wonder if real outrage exists anymore.

This constant erosion of what racism is and means so as to virtually eliminate it from existing at all is a dangerous act. To belittle racism that happens in different ways every day across the world is a human failing as far as I'm concerned. Instead of supporting each other we support each other across lines of colour segregation. That's wrong. If he didn't know it before, he knows it now. He's paid for it. End of story.

As I said he'll pop up elsewhere. They always do. Doesn't mean he's vindicated. He can get hero worship but it doesn't make what he said right. Talking about guns and police and "being a white man" are not sensible things when in the public eye.
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    If faux outrage is disagreeing with someone talking about themselves being white and having a gun, then I have to wonder if real outrage exists anymore.

This constant erosion of what racism is and means so as to virtually eliminate it from existing at all is a dangerous act. To belittle racism that happens in different ways every day across the world is a human failing as far as I'm concerned. Instead of supporting each other we support each other across lines of colour segregation. That's wrong. If he didn't know it before, he knows it now. He's paid for it. End of story.

As I said he'll pop up elsewhere. They always do. Doesn't mean he's vindicated. He can get hero worship but it doesn't make what he said right. Talking about guns and police and "being a white man" are not sensible things when in the public eye.

...And yet just pop over to Politcs and see what they say about Diane Abbot and not a single accusation of "faux outage" to be had.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should never have brought race into it, especially not on twitter. I don't understand why celebrities, especially those in broadcasting, haven't learnt to keep their mouths shut.Of course the woman was wrong to use violence and she should have been at least questioned by the police, IMO. However, she is one individual, not an entire race.
    On whether he has a point, no I don't think so.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    'Lesson No. 1 for living in the West': only white people are racist.
  • Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    Ricky Gervais is a regular on their show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    ...And yet just pop over to Politcs and see what they say about Diane Abbot and not a single accusation of "faux outage" to be had.

So much for the now clearly debunked conspiracy theory that only whites are racist.
    It's a wonder some still wish to peddle this myth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the faux outrage is people calling for the job of a man who they don't listen to on a platform they are not customers of, for saying things in anger (that weren't entirely off the mark on some points) after being the victim of an unprovoked assault.
    See you say all that but don't once mention the fact he was a victim of a racially aggravated assault, why is that? And sorry but he doesn't know anything different today that he didn't yesterday. This issue is something he's been vocal about very often and he has always said there would no graceful "signing off one last time" to end his career, it was always going to be an unceremonious sacking, here one day, gone the next.

I'm just not sure what you think he has learned. He has always talked about disproportionate crime stats for certain ethnicities as well as the pathetic apology/faux outrage culture that grows ever larger by the day. This incident has just bolstered his argument on both subjects.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    So much for the now clearly debunked conspiracy theory that only whites are racist.
    It's a wonder some still wish to peddle this myth.

If Abbot is racist then why hasn't any action been taken against her? Ooh, I wonder...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    He should never have brought race into it, especially not on twitter. I don't understand why celebrities, especially those in broadcasting, haven't learnt to keep their mouths shut.Of course the woman was wrong to use violence and she should have been at least questioned by the police, IMO. However, she is one individual, not an entire race.
    On whether he has a point, no I don't think so.

Totally agree with you. When you bring race into it (and he clearly did by saying he was white in some sort of attempt to make it look like he wasn't talking about the race of his opponent) then expect to get attention. What is worrying is the constant sympathy people like this get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No the faux outrage is people calling for the job of a man who they don't listen to on a platform they are not customers of, for saying things in anger (that weren't entirely off the mark on some points) after being the victim of an unprovoked assault.

See you say all that but don't once mention the fact he was a victim of a racially aggravated assault, why is that? And sorry but he doesn't know anything different today that he didn't yesterday. This issue is something he's been vocal about very often and he has always said there would no graceful "signing off one last time" to end his career, it was always going to be an unceremonious sacking, here one day, gone the next.

I'm just not sure what you think he has learned. He has always talked about disproportionate crime stats for certain ethnicities as well as the pathetic apology/faux outrage culture that grows ever larger by the day. This incident has just bolstered his argument on both subjects.

If he was assaulted take it to the police. The ridiculous "backout" excuse of her threatening to claim assault is absolute see through. If she assaulted him then that's wrong but he's complaining about that but not doing anything other than blowing off hot air and making issue of race. Nope, clearly he's in the wrong. And most seem to agree with that. Most of the focus will automatically rest on what he said because he chose not to go to the police. And what he said is clearly wrong.

There's no faux outrage here. Only facts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Abbot is racist then why hasn't any action been taken against her? Ooh, I wonder...

She's racist in the eyes of many - and many have said so on here. And there's no "faux" in their "outrage".

Nope, clearly there's a nasty smell of hypocrisy at play here. And not for the first or last time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She punched him repeatedly calling him a "white motherf*cker"...how was he the one who brought race into it. And you're pretty much proving his point for him btw, it's getting more and more that we can't even discuss race without it automatically becoming "racist".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's racist in the eyes of many - and many have said so on here. And there's no "faux" in their "outrage".

Nope, clearly there's a nasty smell of hypocrisy at play here. And not for the first or last time.
    Wait a minute...I started the thread, I introduced the faux outrage subject. Where's the hypocrisy, considering I haven't mentioned Dianne Abbot at all? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She punched him repeatedly calling him a "white motherf*cker"...how was he the one who brought race into it. And you're pretty much proving his point for him btw, it's getting more and more that we can't even discuss race without it automatically becoming "racist".

I didn't make this racist. He did by talking about him being white. Also this isn't a criminal investigation as he didn't go to the police. Yet you are taking his side of the assault as fact? That's a win for justice, alright. Strewth.

He is in control of what he says. And he talked about him being white repeatedly. And having a gun. And of not going to the police because of some dubious unprovable excuse. He's responsible for his sacking. He didn't get sacked for being (allegedly) assaulted.

Time to move on. It's done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he was assaulted take it to the police. The ridiculous "backout" excuse of her threatening to claim assault is absolute see through. If she assaulted him then that's wrong but he's complaining about that but not doing anything other than blowing off hot air and making issue of race. Nope, clearly he's in the wrong. And most seem to agree with that. Most of the focus will automatically rest on what he said because he chose not to go to the police. And what he said is clearly wrong.

There's no faux outrage here. Only facts.
    So which are the bits he said that are wrong, out of interest? Because I strongly disagree that just mentioning race in and of itself is wrong.