Options

Russell Brand on Newsnight (01/10/10)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could speak like that. Just go out on a Saturday night, get yourself totally trolleyed on alcahol, then at the end of the night tell your mates how much you love them, and start rambling about nothing in particular for the next half hour. All the while thinking what you are saying is extremely intelligent, but in reality is just a load of incoherent, babble.

Anyone can string a hundred words together. It's whether it makes sense that matters, and to me Russell Brand doesn't make any sense.

Fortunately he did make a lot of sense to a lot of people which made the interview all the more interesting.
  • Options
    Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    You could speak like that. Just go out on a Saturday night, get yourself totally trolleyed on alcahol, then at the end of the night tell your mates how much you love them, and start rambling about nothing in particular for the next half hour. All the while thinking what you are saying is extremely intelligent, but in reality is just a load of incoherent, babble.

Anyone can string a hundred words together. It's whether it makes sense that matters, and to me Russell Brand doesn't make any sense.

That says more about you than it does about him.
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brand's eloquent and amusing , I first heard him on 6 music and enjoyed his comic ramblings. However I can't attribute great intelligence to him as he screwed up so many times in rather a stupid manner.

He can appreciate and cleverly articulate the mistakes he's made but it doesn't mean he's learning from them .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    Muppetonastring - you really do have a problem with him. Like him or not - there is no doubt that he's intelligent and eloquent
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    A 15 minute interview with this dick on a 30 minute edition of Newsnight. The world is going to hell in a handcart.

Still, it seemed to make Emily moist so not a total loss.

Small minded
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not often Paxman is dominated like that in an interview. I think he was struggling to keep up!

I think Russell made some brilliant points. His comments about the media attacking the BBC made a great deal of sense and I hadn't thought about it like that before. And the example Paxman showed him of the forms they now have to fill in highlights the restraints on creativity at the BBC now.

Of course you could perhaps argue how much of that was the real Brand and how much of it was an act but his points did make sense. We know this because Paxman kept chipping in and adding to the conversation. He wouldn't have done that if Brand was talking complete twaddle.

Very interesting interview. Bit like when Piers Morgan interviewed Paris Hilton and she dropped the mask for a while.
  • Options
    CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not often Paxman is dominated like that in an interview. I think he was struggling to keep up!

I think Russell made some brilliant points. His comments about the media attacking the BBC made a great deal of sense and I hadn't thought about it like that before. And the example Paxman showed him of the forms they now have to fill in highlights the restraints on creativity at the BBC now.

Of course you could perhaps argue how much of that was the real Brand and how much of it was an act but his points did make sense. We know this because Paxman kept chipping in and adding to the conversation. He wouldn't have done that if Brand was talking complete twaddle.

Very interesting interview. Bit like when Piers Morgan interviewed Paris Hilton and she dropped the mask for a while.

Haha I thought nice joke there at the end then realised you were serious. Fair enough, spose on occassion he must ask a decent question not about money and at some point in her ilfe she must have said something vaguely interesting.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha I thought nice joke there at the end then realised you were serious. Fair enough, spose on occassion he must ask a decent question not about money and at some point in her ilfe she must have said something vaguely interesting.

It was a good interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU9ELwEW86I

Warning, you may throw up due to Piers content.
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    he couldnt really jusfity the andrew sachs thing by saying it was 'by accident.' at one point during the phone call to the answer machine he did have to make that concious decision to say what he said. unless he's suggesting he;s not in control of what he says or does?

just like the photographer took the decision to put the cam up katy perry's skirt. they're both the same act but he couldnt admit that. he's placing the blame away from himself

His innocent act didn't wash with me. He has never apologised to the young woman whom he humiliated on the radio show but is horrified by the photographers' disrespect to his girlfriend.
    Sorry, but he is in the same camp as them, he has made a living out of being disrespectful to women and it is no use coming over all innocent now and claiming he would never offend anyone.

Besides all that, I kept wondering what he was on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch the uncut interview here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/9053238.stm
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't believe what Brand called the 'omnipresence' of celebrity in our culture is a topic worthy of serious discussion? I disagree

A devastatingly incisive observation that no-one, ever, anywhere has ever made a trillion times already.
    Small minded

Not as tiny as a mind shrunken to the size of a pea by gargantuan coke, heroin (and god knows what else) use.

Have to laugh at people attributing his mile a minute ramblings as evidence of higher intelligence as opposed to a lifetime of heavy drug use. I would imagine Brand and Johnny Vaughan could have a talking competition to see who can rabbit the most for the longest. Now what is it they have in common again......?

Some of you lot sound like cult members. Where’s the kool-aid dispenser at?
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mb@2day wrote: »
    Brand's eloquent and amusing , I first heard him on 6 music and enjoyed his comic ramblings. However I can't attribute great intelligence to him as he screwed up so many times in rather a stupid manner.

He can appreciate and cleverly articulate the mistakes he's made but it doesn't mean he's learning from them .

He is very intelligent - he just doesn't seem to have any common sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not as tiny as a mind shrunken to the size of a pea by gargantuan coke, heroin (and god knows what else) use.

Have to laugh at people attributing his mile a minute ramblings as evidence of higher intelligence as opposed to a lifetime of heavy drug use. I would imagine Brand and Johnny Vaughan could have a talking competition to see who can rabbit the most for the longest. Now what is it they have in common again......?

urgh what a horrible OPINION.
  • Options
    mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A devastatingly incisive observation that no-one, ever, anywhere has ever made a trillion times already.

They are both comedians, who use that talent to which you attribute to a lifetime of heavy drug use - ie: Their wit and articulation - professionally. I reckon that might be more of an explanation of their 'ramblings' than your theory. ;)
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course you could perhaps argue how much of that was the real Brand and how much of it was an act but his points did make sense. We know this because Paxman kept chipping in and adding to the conversation. He wouldn't have done that if Brand was talking complete twaddle..
    A lot of the hostile comments here are from people who had already made up their minds about RB and won't accept the possibility that he might have a point.
    I've always thought of him as a rather shallow publicity seeker (he might still be that), but having seen the interview, and understood it, it is apparent that he has in fact thought a lot about his situation and has some very valid points. Of course, sounding like Frank Spencer does nothing to help him make his points, but putting that aside if that interview had been conducted with (say) a world leader, speaking half as fast, a lot more people would be willing to pay attention to what he said.

Although some of it could well have been him playing the role of "himself", he still had a depth of background to mine - such as the passing reference to Kerouac. That spontaneity and erudition couldn't have been scripted.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jmac04 wrote: »

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks for posting. :D
  • Options
    makesnosensemakesnosense Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    Its such a brilliant interview is that.
    Really entertaining
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Although some of it could well have been him playing the role of "himself", he still had a depth of background to mine - such as the passing reference to Kerouac. That spontaneity and erudition couldn't have been scripted.

He’s read "On the Road"!! Is that really worthy of note these days? A book/author most teenage students namedrop in a tediously self-reflexive fashion in order to make themselves look cool to their peers. This was a cliché 30 years ago. The drug-use has clearly stymied his emotional development at age19, as witnessed by his predeliction for juvenile pranks and serial shagging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen this?

Russell slates the Daily Mail on Newsnight, then the next day they print an article calling his finance fat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1317066/California-girth-Katy-Perrys-skin-tight-silver-dress-clings-wrong-places.html
  • Options
    StardogStardog Posts: 2,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone see it? I only caught the last 5 minutes of it, Russell Brand is very articulate.
    junipaire wrote: »
    He is no idiot, I was shocked, he sounded like one of the most intelligent men in the world with the use of language, never seems to pause for breath even, I never knew he could talk like that and was very surprised, I think Paxman was too. If anyone never saw it, I think the extended version is on the newsnight website, its really worth a view. I really wish I could speak like that and know all those words.
    He's definately no idiot, but he seriously acts up in these interviews. I think he forgot he wasn't in America, which is where he normally tries to come across as a Dickens character.

From listening to tons of his radio shows where he's basically chatting with his mates, I doubt he acts how he does in that interview very often. Not completely, anyway.

EDIT: I'm talking more about the Paul O Grady interview than this one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That says more about you than it does about him.

I'll take that as a compliment. ;)
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jmac04 wrote: »
    But he didn't say it, its was Jonathan Ross that said the infamous 4 words.

Not a fan of Brand at all, he's made a career out of being Captain Jack Sparrow, but I agree with this. Ross' behaviour over the Sachs thing was disgraceful, whereas Brand was just silly.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He’s read "On the Road"!! Is that really worthy of note these days? .
    Well it's more than any of his denigrators here have done.
  • Options
    escapeintonightescapeintonight Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    JamesC81 wrote: »
    he couldnt really jusfity the andrew sachs thing by saying it was 'by accident.' at one point during the phone call to the answer machine he did have to make that concious decision to say what he said. unless he's suggesting he;s not in control of what he says or does?

As the Sachs incident was pre-recorded and could have been removed by the production team or the BBC at anytime before broadcast I don't hold Brand to blame for anything other than what he admits - it was a rude thoughtless thing to do.

The fact that there were only 2 complaints after the broadcast until the Daily Mail morons started hearing about it says it all really.
  • Options
    escapeintonightescapeintonight Posts: 233
    Forum Member

That says more about you than Brand.
    He is clearly a very intelligent articulate person